Incapacity Benefit Help Please

soslasthope
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is Incapacity Benefit Income Support?

Am I correct in saying it is income based?

For housing benefit purposes On the Housing Benefit Form from the Council it says under INCOME AND CAPITAL if you are on an income based Benefit you are not required to provide Evidence of Income or Capital.

I know that somebody out there will know this answer I have spend HOURS on this site Reading all the info and advise you are all Bl--dy fantasic giving your time and knowledge free of charge.

Edited by soslasthope
late at night spelling bad

Incapacity benefit is different from income support, and you can receive either one or both.

IB is not income based, it is NI contribution based. So you could receive IB and have a partner who works, or have a private source of income, or significant savings, which you could not have with income support, housing benefit, or council tax benefit.

If you don't have any other income or large savings, you will still qualify for housing and council tax benefit, but you don't automatically get passported just because you get IB: you qualify on low income.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

As long as you have savings of less than £16000.00 you will qualify for housing benefit. A bank statement will show income and capital and is acceptable proof as long as it is no more than 2 months old. Obviously if you have more than one account you have to declare them all.

Your local council will look at your personal and financial situation, including.....

• money you and your partner or civil partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits and tax credits, and occupational pensions
  • your savings (and your partner's or civil partner's savings) not above £16,000.00
  • your circumstances: such as your age, the size of your family and their ages, whether you or any of your family are disabled, and whether anyone who lives with you could help with the rent .

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

• 1 month later...

Just read your post Soslasthope just thought I would advise you of the following because of a rule change in the 2005 you CANNOT claim the income support benefit with your incapacity benefit,the incapacity benefit is a TAXED benefit,as your council will gain knowledge of the amount of incapacity benefit you are/will recieve your council will calculate your housing and council tax benefit on your GROSS figure of incapacity benefit you recieve.

You will be asked to furnish your council with details of ANY income that comes into your home,bank statements Etc,whilst on about the incapacity benefit you might be advised to put any dependants on your claim,even if you do not do this the DWP will put your dependants on your claim anyway!

As I say your council will calculate your housing and council tax benefit on the GROSS figure and WILL deduct or reduce your housing and council tax accordingly,oh and one more thing your council might do a home visit which entails a representative of the councils benefit service coming to your house to interview you and secure proof of any income.

It is the NET Incapacity benefit figure that is used - no such thing as gross.

The reason they ask about family details is because if you have dependant children (still getting cb for them or if they are full-time students) this is to ensure that you get the correct amount of hb/ctb.

Don't get alarmed by the suggestion that you will be visited by a council official - these are just routine visits and used to be funded by the dwp. There are a lot less of these going on now - I used to do this so that's how I know.