• Tweets

• If that was the reason then that is good news. The whole reason that being able to charge £100 for breaching private car park rules is because the law Lords decided in a celebrated case that the rogues had a legitimate interest in keeping their car park spaces available for all motorists . {parking Eye v Beavis]. However when the business is closed then there is no legitimate interest in keeping spaces free so to charge £100 is a penalty. As such any Court would automatically throw out the case when the penalty charge is accepted.
    • gives them a feeling of grandeur. dx  
    • yep they can be a bit like the TV licencing lot. for 4yrs ive been getting a series of about 8-10 diff letters that just go round a loop. currently upto 61
    • thread tidied. new thread for the court claim is here  
    • new thread created for this claimform please post here now for anything to do with it now . pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .. get a CCA Request running to the claimant . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/ .. Leave the £1 PO unsigned and uncrossed . get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . .use our other CPR letter if the claim is for an OD or Telecom Debt or Util debt]  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ on BOTH type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Being taken to court...please help I'm scared Re: MBNA.

mollybe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If however you proposed what is called a Consent Order that you will agee to said monthly payment and there be a provision that if you failed to adhere then a CO may be placed.This would be legally binding and they could only act further through recourse of the Court and with both parties agreement.

Just an option

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like a good idea Andy...should I just put that proposal in a letter to them? Any advice on wording?

Natalie...yes apparently my DN is faulty according to the good people on here with only 10 days to rectify.

I just had another thought. I sent the SAR on 9th June and it was delivered on 10th June. They are now passed the 40 days deadline, is this worth mentioning to them in my letter or is it not worth the bother. It would be interesting to see what charges are on there to bring the balance down. BTW the settlement figure they are offering is £2500 which is the credit limit that was on the card. I am thinking there must be charges as it can't all be interest.

Edited by mollybe
added something

I just had another thought. I sent the SAR on 9th June and it was delivered on 10th June. They are now passed the 40 days deadline, is this worth mentioning to them in my letter or is it not worth the bother. It would be interesting to see what charges are on there to bring the balance down.

Hi, Mollybe,

Can you recall any charges being added over the years? Even if the charges are fairly small, say a couple of hundred quids worth, it is surprising how the amount you can claim goes up once you add interest. IF mbna fail to provide you with statements it is unreasonable behaviour and you must tell the court about this.

When you get the statements back, and there are charges, you can also claim the interest on those charges, and I would also claim the amount of interest you could have earned if that money was not taken from your account. Personally I have always claimed back interest at THEIR RATES, eg 20 + %, and it has always been successful with MBNA.

I once had a court hearing and a mediation hearing with MBNA when I was claiming back charges and their representative was adamant that MBNA will pay back any charges and interest, full stop. Which they did.

In your case, any amount of charges and interest should be deducted from any 'alleged ' debt, (and if there were charges, that stuffs up their Default Notice even more!).

BAE :)

Thanks for the reply.

I am desperately trying to get hold of the statements because I am absolutely sure there are charges on there but so far they have sent me nothing except an agreement which has no amounts on it or anything.

The 40 days are now up but Andy is of the opinion that chasing them to comply with the SAR is a waste of time. I guess I just want to get them on the back foot and show that I will not lie down and die.

Any idea what I can put in the letter to refuse the settlement they are offering. I am perfectly happy about the monthly payment but there is no way I will sign a voluntary CO.

I don't know whether or not to send a non-compliance letter for the SAR or just hold back and bring that up if and when it gets to court, although with my husbands and my poor health I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks supasnooper. I am going to write to them accepting their offer of £3 per month but that I cannot agree to a Voluntary Charging Order as it would unfairly prejudice my other creditors.

I will also send the Letter Before Action and see what they come up with.

Thanks everyone for the help so far, if anyone else has anything to add please feel free:)

Hi,

I a. SO sorry to bother everyone again but I have been reading lots of threads in the forum and have tried to process a LOT of information, my head is cabbaged.

I had decided to do the Letter before Action as I previously stated but as I was trawling around looking for it, thats how I came to be reading 100's of posts, I realised that if I go this route then I would have to follow through and take them to court if they do not comply. I feel ATM neither I or my hubbie are in a position to do this healthwise and so it might not be the best course of action for me to take.

Is there any other way to get the information I need, ie charges and payments made on my account? They are well over the 40 days and so far all I have received is a dubious CCA which has no figures on it whatsoever.

Also, are there any authorities I can report them to for non-compliance with a SAR.

I feel that if this goes all the way to court I do not have the information I need to mount a defence.

Hi,

Is there any other way to get the information I need, ie charges and payments made on my account? They are well over the 40 days and so far all I have received is a dubious CCA which has no figures on it whatsoever.

Hi,

As part of your defence, you can state that MBNA have not complied with your request, and seek an order from the court that forces them to produce the documents, (or risk their claim being struck out). This is a straightforward but very effective procedure. Seeing as your defence will rest on the statements and CCA, they will have to cough up the details.

BAE :)

Sorry to bother everyone again but I am just trying to compose a letter to the solicitors and am having a little trouble with it.

I have still had no response to my SAR and cannot seem to find the Letter Before Action to send. Is it still worth sending this as I really do not want to follow through and sue them for it. Would I need to go to court for this or just submit the defence in writing.

Also there is a paragraph which states that they wish me to sign a Tomlin Order, which is attached, saying that..

The Claimant will accept the sum of £2500 as F&FS (the agreed sum) of its claim against the defendant in this action inclusive of interest and costs.

I have NEVER agreed this sum, how can I when I don't have the statements I have requested to check it.

I really don't know what to reply.

If you need a Letter Before Action Letter , have a look at this post -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2337928.html

and report them to ICO which you can do online - Complaints about data protection policy - ICO

Unfortunately I do not know of another way to force their compliance.

Also, please can you type up or post up the Tomlin\Consent order.

Thanks for the LBA template supsnooper but I am not sure about sending it as I want to avoid court if at all possible because of mine and my OH's health issues. On the other hand how can I check the amount claimed if I cannot get hold of the paperwork. If I do send the LBA do I have to follow through with the court action?

This is what they have sent me so far...I am a little worried that they are saying the amount claimed is agreed as it most certainly is not.

MBNATomlinOrder2.jpg picture by Mollybe59 - Photobucket

MBNATomlinOrder.jpg picture by Mollybe59 - Photobucket

Hi Molly

Forgive me if im wrong but as i read your posts either you do wish to proceed to trial for either the Summons or your own instigation re DPA,or you wish to settle, I cant see any real benefit in chasing statements for unfair charges with the thought in the back of your mind that really you dont wish to proceed.If the charges outweigh the claim amount,and you have no way of veryfying this, then you pitch your offer in the F/F/S to reflect this, im sure whether they do or dont that you will end up on the best side with a much reduced offer.Far better to put this to rest for yoursake and your OH than proceed not be confident that you can achive a mutual acceptable agreement/conclusion.

Regards

andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi Andy

I don't want to go to court unless I absolutely have to but I am not sure about the figure they have quoted ie £2500.

I also absolutely so not want to agree to a voluntary charge on the house. I don't se how I can anyway because I have other debts which are larger than this, namely RBOS who are quoting a settlement figure, without the charge.

I don't know if they will move on the £2500 though so maybe I will just have to accept it, but without the charge. I was thinking of writing to say that I cannot accept the voluntary charge because 'it would unfairly predjudice my other creditors.

I have to say I would like to get rid of the whole sorry mess if I can.

Ok Molly

If you can post up the letter containing the Tomlin Order (less personal details) and you can confirm the original summons amount.

Regards

Andy

Molly you have left your name on the second letter

Regards

andy

Molly,

I've unapproved your post, remove your name and re-post, please.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

oops so I have...thanks for pointing it out Any and for removing it Scott.

I have edited it now.

The letter I received with the Tomlin Order is here

TomlinOrderletter.jpg?t=1249419111

The amount on the claim form is £2717.40 + Court Fee £75.00 + Solicitors Costs £80.00 = Total £2872.40.

I have just found another letter sent to me in February 2007 which is offering a discounted F&FS which is a huge saving but unfortunately I couldn't afford to pay it. I also thought they were not supposed you to take out extra finance to pay off a debt, which they clearly have. I don't know where I read that so maybe I am wrong.

This is the letter. The sum it says I owe is a lot less than they are claiming now so they are either adding huge amounts of interest or charges but I have no idea of knowing what.

FFSLetter.jpg?t=1249419216

Edited by mollybe
wrong link

Hi Molly

Apologies for not responding sooner.Forgive me if im repeating myself but at what stage are we at in your case, AQs submitted?

On the presumtion of the above again I would request a copy of the Claimants AQ either from them or the Court(some Caggers are getting them free some are being told to pay £5 some are getting the copy by courtesy of the Claimant) whichever will give valuable insight to how they intend to proceed their claim.

With regards to the S.A.R Molly let that rest.With regards to the Claim figure this is what i am about to suggest.

I would advise we proceed a little further in the process of this claim and wait issue of the DJ Orders on Allocation.Within these orders both parties will be invited to Disclose,now standard practice of most Claimants are to make the agreement/Application available,DN if retained or at least issue screen shot, LBAs etc etc and yes Statements.

What I am suggesting Molly is that you can then verify the amount claimed,if its wrong or if they fail to disclose the statements we can make application for specific Disclosure or even strike out on the Claimants failure to disclose and verify the total claimed is true.

So hold on the F/F/S and await the DJ orders on allocation and your Directions made within your AQ and then we can review the position.

I trust the above eliviates your concerns

Regards

Andy

Edited by Andyorch

Hi Andy

yes you are right in thinking that I have completed the AQ.

I have just called the court and they close at 4pm so I will call them in the morning and ask for a copy of the claimants AQ.

Thanks again for your advice. I will let you know what response I get.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again, I'm back with a further problem and I really need some guidance please.

I requested the Claimants AQ on 6th August and was told they would post it out.

When I hadn't received it a week later I called them again only to be told it hadn't been sent and the case was now with the DJ and they couldn't get access to the file until he had finished with it. I am still waiting.

This is now my 'other' problem...

Last weekend I went to see my Mum and she had a surprise for me. My brother and sister-in-law are going on holiday this Saturday, 29th July for 2 weeks. They are in an apartment which sleeps 6 people.

My Mum told me that she has booked and paid for flights for me and my OH to go with them!!! She has also bought and paid for our spending money and already has the euros!!!

Don't get me wrong, its a wonderful surprise and goodness knows we could do with the break with everything that is going on, but I just feel hugely guilty for even thinking about going on holiday when we are in so much debt, even though it won't cost us a penny. None of my family know of the difficulties we are in, I am too ashamed to tell them and they just think it would be great for us both health-wise to get away for a while. I am now in quandry. Do I go...or do I not and Mum will have wasted her money. Not only that, but I will have to tell everyone why I can't go. Its such a mess.

On the other hand if we do go, what happens if something urgent comes up while we are away. What if I miss a deadline? I really don't know what to do. How can I tell the courts now, when I stated originally that I was available any time, that I am swanning off on holiday when I am defending several claims for unpaid debts.

Does anyone have any advice please. I have been having sleepless nights about this since weekend and its such a shame because it is a wonderful gesture from my Mum, but I just don't know what to do.