Drove off before being ticketed - Hit Parking Warden By Mistake!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I know this was naughty of me, but I parked in a (Council) town centre car park without purchasing a ticket. I was literally there for all of two minutes so I parked the car and ran into the shop quickly before returning to find a parking warden beside my car.

I was absolutely livid and couldn't believe it, and I said you can't do this I stopped the literally seconds but he continued to ignore me and kept on tapping in information to his little computer.

It was at this point I noticed his little machine spurt out a piece of paper, and I thought to myself oh my God he hasn't actually "ticketed" my car.

So I jumped in the car, whacked it in reverse and put my foot down trying to get away before he had chance to stick the ticket to my car. Anyway's in the process of reversing out of the parking space I must have accidentally knocked him over, because when I looked forward again he was just getting up off his back side and had started talking into his radio. (No doubt reporting me to someone or other)

Not wishing to hang about I pretended not to notice and left the car park.

This all happened the Thursday before last (12th), and so far I have not heard nothing from the council about the issue which is a little surprising given the incident which also took place - I don't think they're going to let me off! :oops:

Can anyone give me any advice, what should I expect from this?

Totally agree you have committed a serious offence namely hit and run does not matter if he or she was your worst enemy they do not deserve this kind of treatment by not checking to make sure he was ok you have left yourself open to a whole series of matters.

I expect he already has you car reg number as its usually the first thing they get and being as councils work in close conjunction with the police i very much doubt you will get away with it.

Mistake it may of been but as you did not stop i doubt if they will now see it that way

do not wait for someone to knock your door go and report it and take the salt that's coming.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but no one can condone HIT AND RUN

Regards

Pompeyfaith

Edited by pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

run over him no but its still hit and run

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Hi,

Thanks for replying...

I know its a crap situation - trust me, thats why I'm here :( ... You know one morning all is going well, and then life deals you a bad card from out of no where... Well, that's how I feel. Its not something I wanted to do on purpose and I was in a complete panic at the time!

The guy was actually standing by the side of my car (looking at the tax disk), not in front or behind, not that makes it much better, but please don't think I "ran him over"... (He was pushed over rather than knocked over) The guy was back on his feet in seconds...

I haven't heard a thing yet, not a letter from the council (or Police) about the incident and not even a Parking Fine as yet....

I'm so worried about this, but I don't want to dig a whole for myself with the Police ever - I can't help thinking they would have called round to my house by now if they were to be involved???

Likewise I was at least expecting a ticket, but this happened nearly two weeks ago now and I don't know when I should expect it through...

The guy was actually standing by the side of my car (looking at the tax disk), not in front or behind, not that makes it much better, but please don't think I "ran him over"... (He was pushed over rather than knocked over) The guy was back on his feet in seconds...

or he could have jumped out of the way and/or stumbled.

In any case, I do think a visit to the police station and explaining your version will go in your favour.

In any case, I do think a visit to the police station and explaining your version will go in your favour.

Im ever so sorry to CAG, the attendant and to outlook but i cant read this without a small giggle. (I know bad of me)

I hope the poor bloke is OK

Im wondering if there were any witnesses. The first thing I would ask if the police came knocking would be to ask this.

But coming to think of it, you have sort of given the game away by posting it on a public forum

so you cant deny it.:eek:

Yeah this is it!.... Its me who is filling in the blanks from the before and after as I never actually seen it happen, I was looking out of the back window at the time, and I never heard a bump at all, not a thing... :| And its not like the car radio was on or anything - it wasn't.

Him falling over is a real possibility if you had seen where my car was parked... (On a slope, dodgy broken tarmac/gravel ground)

I don't have any expectations of not being fined over the parking, but I would hate to get myself in trouble with the Police over this accident, and it was a complete accident....

The situation leaves me with a huge dilemma, this happened two weeks ago, so if I visit the police station I am sure to be charged with leaving the scene of an accident, but the alternative is to wait and see what happens...

Catch 22, both are bad by the looks of it...

Charged maybe maybe not but if you leave it for them to come and find you, you will be arrested remember you saw him getting up so you should of stopped to check he was ok and not driven off.

All this because you could not be bothered to pay a couple of quid for a ticket.

Oh and one other remember if you do get arrested the police will take a DNA sample

Charged maybe maybe not but if you leave it for them to come and find you, you will be arrested remember you saw him getting up so you should of stopped to check he was ok and not driven off.

The fact he got up within seconds says he was ok to me... If he was on the floor I would have done something! I'm not that evil! :-|

All this because you could not be bothered to pay a couple of quid for a ticket.

Yes thanks... As I keep reminding myself too!!!! :oops:

OUTLOOK just because he got up does not mean he is ok if minor injuries and or shock, distress is enough you really should have stopped

Before you go to the police, you might want to seek professional legal advice.

Although you may have done something wrong, and you may even feel remorseful, this will not prevent the police from following non-discretionary protocols which may well end up with you receiving a criminal record, and all that might entail for your career and livelihood.

Unfortunately, honesty and good intentions do not go rewarded by the police, as their ability to be human beings themselves has been all but completely eroded over the past few years.

Before you go to the police, you might want to seek professional legal advice.

Although you may have done something wrong, and you may even feel remorseful, this will not prevent the police from following non-discretionary protocols which may well end up with you receiving a criminal record, and all that might entail for your career and livelihood.

Unfortunately, honesty and good intentions do not go rewarded by the police, as their ability to be human beings themselves has been all but completely eroded over the past few years.

I'm sure if you got knocked over by a car at work and the driver left the scene without even stopping to check you were ok you would be happy if the Police took no action.

I'm sure if you got knocked over by a car at work and the driver left the scene without even stopping to check you were ok you would be happy if the Police took no action.
You're misrepresenting what I wrote, and assembling a straw man that bears only superficial relevance here.

I suggested that the driver obtain legal advice prior to incriminating themselves for a serious crime.

At this stage, the driver does not know if they hit the CEO, and therefore guilty of driving away from an accident.

Honesty and falling on ones sword might be laudable and demonstrative of a well principled person, but it's not going to do them much good should they lose their job and suffer other consequences for a moment of rashness and stupidity. As I stated, the sad fact is that good intention is no longer rewarded.

Legal advice should be sought.

Although what happened was an accident in that there was no intent on your part to cause the CEO injury the fact that you left the scene does you no favours.

Even traffic wardens have the right to pursue their legal employment without fear of bodily harm, and not stopping to check the welfare of someone you have just hit with your car is reprehensible.

Also the period of time that has elapsed since the incident doesnt exactly make it look like you have a conscience.

It is possible that your car is now "flagged" on the ANPR computer, and should you be spotted by any police or ANPR cameras you will be stopped at the roadside and dealt with by the police.

It is important to get advice and deal with this immediately, Head in the sand does you no favours at all.

Outlook,

I don't condone what you did for one minute, but if you did actually knock the warden over I am surprised the police have not been to visit you by now as I imagine they would take a hit and run on a traffic warden very seriously indeed. After all they do work together and probably are familiar with each other in the town centres. They would obviously have the car number and be able to trace you.

I think it is a matter for your conscience. You were there and we weren't. If you genuinely believe you did not hit the warden and he actually slipped totally accidentally and NOT because he was trying to avoid being hit by your car, then I wouldn't go to the police, but if you think you had anything to do with it then you should go, and get legal advice first.

If he did slip and is a genuinely honest chap who is not trying to blame you by fabricating a report that you hit him or caused him to fall, then you should be truly grateful to him. Driving off when you MAY have injured him is a rotten thing to have done. You could have injured him badly and let's hope you didn't.

It wasn't worth it just to save 50p or £1 for the parking fee, was it? It wouldn't been worth the parking fine either if you had seriously injured him.

I'm sure you won't do it again.

DD

• Haha 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the Parking Attendant is gleefully rubbing his hands together in anticipation of compensation for this.

Go to the Police, explain what happened.

Do yourself a favour.. it really isn't worth the hassle.. you could end up with a criminal record.

1) Do not go to the Police without taking proper legal advice as both My Real Name and Flying doc has stated.

2) I would be very surprised if any action is being taken. Although a NIP is not legally required for an RTC, an s.172 should have arrived with the RK byu now - if not a Police visit.

3) Whilst not condoning your actions in any way, if there are no witnesses, it is your word against the CEO as to whether you hit him or he slipped. Volunteering to the authorities that you might have hit him and then driven off is a road to nowhere good.

1) Do not go to the Police without taking proper legal advice as both My Real Name and Flying doc has stated.

2) I would be very surprised if any action is being taken. Although a NIP is not legally required for an RTC, an s.172 should have arrived with the RK byu now - if not a Police visit.

3) Whilst not condoning your actions in any way, if there are no witnesses, it is your word against the CEO as to whether you hit him or he slipped. Volunteering to the authorities that you might have hit him and then driven off is a road to nowhere good.

But what about any CCTV evidence that there may be in the vicinity?

I find it highly unlikely a traffic attendant is going to stand up, shrug and go on his merry way.

if there was no one else in the car park (witness) you shouldn't have a problem.

I believe the ticket is not valid because it was not on your car and there is no photo evidence.

CEO deserve what ever they get, I got a ticket for not marking AM/PM on a visitors voucher which is totally irrelevant because I parked at 11.00 am, obviously cant be 11.00 pm, well it was eventually cancelled but why the hassle, cant they be a weeny bit lenient.

I agree with Pat Davies. There's no evidence that you have hit anybody and it's quite clear that you don't know yourself. The longer it takes for somebody to claim that you have, the less likely is that they will have any reason to contact you.

In 43 years of driving, all claim free, my experience has me thinking that it is impossible to hit, nudge or scrape anything without feeling it at the time. Only you will know whether that happened.

If it didn't then wait to see if anything progresses, and for those quick to accuse and condemn here, the best you have got is circumstantial ie the OP being completely unsure with no input from elsewhere. If the OP receives a PCN and nothing else then on the balance of probabilities it is unlikely that the CEO will have felt that he was hit by the OP's car.

However if the OP knows he did hit, scrape or brush somebody with the result that the person ended on the floor whilst the OP drove off, then such behaviour cannot be condoned.