Housing Benefit - HELP PLEASE!

beckthepeck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am just about to make a claim for Housing Benefit for my family. I have a husband, son and about to have another next month.

The tenancy agreement is in both mine and my husbands names however the claim for Housing is in my name only. Basically my husband is American and has a spousal visa but does not have recourse to public funds. I have still put him on the claim form but I am wondering if it will be a problem having his name on the tenancy agreement? I am worried because I dont want to arose suspicion from the landlord as its been hard to find a place and I've had to not mention that I am DSS. Both myself and husband are unemployed, just moved back to be close to family and husband cant find a job, we came at the worst time!

Will I need to tell the agent to put the tenancy in my name alone? I am worried as have paid all the fees and my dad had to loan us 6 months rent in advance as no one would accept us both being unemployed. What if the council rejects the claim because 6 months rent been paid in advance and tenancy is in both our names?

Does anybody know? I've never claimed for anything like this before so have no idea what is going on.

Thanks

Beck

You are doing it right. However, did you look into what the Local rent allowance is for your area as you will only qualify for the 2 bedroom rate.

Could you have not gone to the Council as homeless, you would have been entitled to.