• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

House ownership. What are my right ?

sb_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

My mother and father got divorced a few years ago and my father was letting her have the house as part of the divorce settlement. Unfortunately, she didn't return the form to accept this before the divorce went through.

She died a year or so later and I contacted the mortgage company to inform them and they then put the house into my fathers name. I've paid the mortgage off since then and the house is still in my fathers name. I asked a solicitor about getting it changed over to my name, which my father has told me he's ok with, but the solicitor said he cannot do anything until he's discussed the implications with my father.

This was at least a year ago now and my father hasn't been to see the solictor about it. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do and if I have any rights of my father changes his mind about signing it over to me.

Thanks for any advice

My flickr Page

Latest Photos - Metallica at the MEN Arena

If the house is legally in your fathers name, then it is his to do as he wishes with. The only difference to this would be if there was a CONTRACT in place between your father and yourself. The mere fact that you are paying the mortgage is meaningless by itself I'm afraid.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for your replies.

They divorced about a year before she died and due to the fact she didn't return the form the house remained in both of their names.

When I rang the mortgage company about her death, they put solely into my dad's name. This was about 2 1/2 years ago and I paid off the remainder of the mortgage about 2 years ago and have got the house deeds, which I've just been looking through and can see no mention of my mothers name being removed, but I guess that's just a side issue.

Last time I spoke to him he was willing to get it transferred into my name but that might change once he's spoken to the solicitor, if he ever gets round to it.

sorry forgot to add, my mother didn't leave a will

Edited by sb_uk
added information

My flickr Page

They divorced about a year before she died and due to the fact she didn't return the form the house remained in both of their names.

When I rang the mortgage company about her death, they put solely into my dad's name.

I wonder on what authority they put the name in your dads sole name? As they were divorced your dad had no automatic right to the property. Any will would be void that was made during their marriage.

I would talk to your dad and see if he is willing to give you your mums share as you say. In the meantime I would SAR the mortage company. Which one was it?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

I wonder on what authority they put the name in your dads sole name? As they were divorced your dad had no automatic right to the property. Any will would be void that was made during their marriage.

I think that this demonstrates a bit of muddled thinking on this thread (sorry, Gizmo, but yours was easiest to quote)

There are 2 entirely seoparate things here.

Ownership of the property and the mortgage - which does not confer ownership, but is merely a charge on the property.

The mortgage company were perfectly entitled to remove the mother's name on her death. As she had died. she could no be responsible for the repayment of the loan.

The OP has paid off the mortgage and this has released the charge on the property - but this does not in anyway change the ownership. The OP has no rights over the property simply by paying off the mortgage.

The ownership question will have to be decided by either the father relinquishing the property to the OP , or via the mother's will for a portion of it.

It should be worth noting, that any will made before the divorce is automatically voided by the divorce and unless she made a new will after divorcing the father, then the intestacy rules will apply. There may well be tax implications also depending on the value of the house.

There is definitely no will and to be honest I didn't even know the divorce had gone through at the time of her death.

I've had a quick nose on the Stamp Duty Calculator and that seems to suggest there will be no duty to pay, as the house is in a 'deprived area'.

I guess I'll just have to nag my dad into going to see a solicitor and see what happens.

Thanks for ur advice and comments :)

My flickr Page

There is nothing to prevent your father making you a joint owner. If you both become 'tenants in common', you each have your interests ring fenced, and he can then deed his percentage of the property to you on death.

I've had a quick nose on the Stamp Duty Calculator and that seems to suggest there will be no duty to pay, as the house is in a 'deprived area'.

Why are you concerned about Stamp Duty?

Pat

I see what you are saying - but they wouldn't normally just remove the name unless they were sure there was no beneficiary to be paid out first.

Edited by gizmo111

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

As your mother was divorced and had no will - the children inherit her estate - which would include half of the house. This presumes that she was recorded as joint owner of the house before they divorced. On divorce the spouse is removed from the equation for intestacy. Your father has no right to your mothers estate.

The mortgage company want someone to pay the outstanding amount back. If you are not interested in the house then stop paying the mortgage and they will pursue your father.

Good luck,

John

As your mother was divorced and had no will - the children inherit her estate - which would include half of the house. This presumes that she was recorded as joint owner of the house before they divorced. On divorce the spouse is removed from the equation for intestacy. Your father has no right to your mothers estate.

The mortgage company want someone to pay the outstanding amount back. If you are not interested in the house then stop paying the mortgage and they will pursue your father.

Good luck,

John

Hiya John,

Thanks for that. I paid off the mortgage so that's no longer an issue.

Should I pay the 3 quid to the land registry to check what names are registered ?

My flickr Page

Hiya John,

Thanks for that. I paid off the mortgage so that's no longer an issue.

Should I pay the 3 quid to the land registry to check what names are registered ?

Three pounds is nothing to confirm the ownership. However, depending on how long your parents had been present in the house, it may only be registered in your dads name. The wife was "ignored" in the olden days. Only recently are people transfering ownership into "tenants in common" and revising the title at HM Land Registry - for IHT purposes.

Edited to add: Sorry sd, I had not noticed that you had looked at the original deeds: "I paid off the remainder of the mortgage about 2 years ago and have got the house deeds, which I've just been looking through and can see no mention of my mothers name being removed". If your mother is named with your father on the original deeds and duplicated on the HMLR copy then that is good news for you - as her part of the house would have past to you. The presumption at HMLR is joint ownership (50:50) unless other wise stated on the TR1 form (not repeated on the title) - for instance I am 30:70 ownership with my partner.

Good luck,

John

Edited by johnhowell

These days, the deeds are fairly irrelevant; what matters is what is recorded at the Land Registry.

The original deeds ARE relevent because they are what you purchased and contain more information than HM Land Registry record. I deal with HMLR almost every day and the newer title deeds and plans are getting worst. HMLR summaries drastically the clauses and conditions in the original deeds - also they do not replicate the boundary feature responsibilty "T"s or "H"s on the title plans

Regards,

John

Well, I just did the Land Registry thing and the land is owned by someone else.

I forgot we pay ground rent every so often

See, if under the particular address, there is leasehold - this should be your parents then. Look at the original deed - does it mention leasehold.

Regardless, half of the lease should be yours and your siblings under intestacy rules.

John

According to the Land Registry Site, the tenure of the address is Freehold.

I've had a look through the deeds, and on the document relating to my parents purchase of the house it said Lease.

Since the land the house is on is rented, is there anywhere else that will show who's name the house is actually in, other than the title deeds which seem to suggest the house is still in both names?

I'm now assuming that the mortgage company only removed my mother from their records of who was paying the mortgage. Although I could be wrong in that

My flickr Page

Sd,

If there is only one entry on the HMLR website for your particular address and it is the freehold, then the leasehold has not been registered at HMLR. Leaseholds did not have to be registered unlike freehold. Recent LR Acts have changed the criteria to registration.

So the paper deeds you possess are paramont and RELEVANT to your case. Look after them...;-)

I would ask your father to comfirm in writing to the transfer in the Leasehold ownership to you, as successor in title of your mothers estate. Go back to the solicitor and progress the transfer.

Just to be sure - you are the only child of your mother? Intestacy rules gets more complicated - deceased sibling with children, adopted children...

Good luck,

John

Edited by johnhowell

Why are you concerned about Stamp Duty?

Pat

I see what you are saying - but they wouldn't normally just remove the name unless they were sure there was no beneficiary to be paid out first.

A mortgage doesn't have beneficiaries - only mortgagees. There is no pay out to the mortgagees - exactly the opposite in fact. A will has beneficiaries, but is nothing to do with the mortgage.

A mortgage company will remove the name of a mortgagee on receipt of a death certificate.

The names on any mortgage document are immaterial to ownership of the property.

My land law is rusty, but if they held the property as joint tenants, which I assume would be the case if they bought when married, then one tenant's share would automatically revert to the other following their death, unless the tenancy was severed. I think. I'm dredging back a decade on the old memory here.

Would paying the mortgage not create some sort of equitable interest or trust?

Would paying the mortgage not create some sort of equitable interest or trust?

Not that I'm aware of, but I would be surprised if a mortgage company just changed the name on a mortgage without proof of who is now the owner - ie a will or probate docs or some other comclusion. Maybe they do, but if they do that on a death certificate then any joint mortgagee can claim the property is theirs regard;ess of wills etc.

My land law is rusty, but if they held the property as joint tenants, which I assume would be the case if they bought when married, then one tenant's share would automatically revert to the other following their death, unless the tenancy was severed.
Correct. Normally the joint tenancy would be severed and they would become tenants in common as part of the divorce proceedings but it is important to check that they actually were. A notice in writing is the most common way of doing this severing the joint tenancy.

If the joint tenancy was not severed then the property would pass to the OP's father (see Harris v Goddard 1983 in which it was ruled that the “prayer” to sever a joint tenancy was insufficient).

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.