Is failure to respond to a CCA request still a criminal offence?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My understanding is that a creditor/DCA has 12 days to respond to a CCA request, after which they are in default. If they fail to respond after a further 30 days they commit a criminal offence.

But is that still true? I know it used to be, but I have a vague memory that the law changed a year or so ago. I read elsewhere on the forums of Hillesden DCA failing to produce an agreement under the CCA and simply writing every 21 days saying that they were still looking for the paperwork. They surely couldn't get away with that if failure to comply is still a criminal offence.

So does anyone have a definitive answer? Can failure to respond lead to criminal proceedings? Anyone got any examples of that happening?

Many thanks.

Thought so. Pity.

But presumably that also means the whole "+ 30 days" business no longer has any meaning: after all the 30 days was the period before which failure to comply became criminal. The only period that can matter now is the 12 days to respond to the request before the DCA is in default.

Thanks again.

Hi

Yes by the administration of justice act I believe.

Nah, this was statute that was amended wrt harassment.

This was an amendment to s77 of the cca by the 2006 act I believe. Might have been the cprs though. Would need to check and can't be bothered.

as said it was only a 'summary' criminal offence anyhow, so it meant very very little.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...