No need to renew a Shorthold Tenancy Agreement?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

I signed a shorthold tenancy for 6 months last year with a letting agent. They claim that there is no need to renew the tenancy, - that if a tenant wants to stay on after the 6 month period the agreement just runs on and on, on a month-by-month basis. There is nothing in the contract about this however, meaning I'm surely left with a meaningless piece of paper.

With my previous letting agent the contract had to renewed after every period. This seems right to me.

I've requested a new contract and they don't seem to want to do that - claiming it costs the landlord (or something). What they've offered instead is to send me a letter so that I have it in writing at least.

Is this Ok?. Doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks.

It's OK, and quite normal.

The contract will continue as before as a "Statutory Periodic Tenancy" with the following overriding anything that the contract says:

If you want to leave, you have to give one full rental month's notice.

The landlord has to give you two full rental months' notice if he wants you to leave.

ie. if the contract started on 17th of month you have to give notice prior to 17th of month if you want to move out on or before 16th of next month.

The landlord can request a rent rise with one full month's notice (Section 13 notice)

If you are happy with that, then OK. If you need security of tenure/rent for 6 months (or a year or whatever) then by all means push to get a new contract. But they will probably charge you for it if the landlord relents.

Yes - It is the AST and not the scottish SAT - sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your replies both of you.

It seems this is standard practice. The only other letting agent I've been with had it renewed with me after every period, which is why this confused me.

It seems the (UK) Housing Benefit and Council Tax people do understand this when they ask for proof of rent, so if you supply them with a 6 months AST signed 2 years ago they have no basis for requesting you get a new one.