Being chased for debt already paid!

Midori
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I have an odd problem, I am being pursued by Aventis Credit for a Water bill paid in full in September 2008.

The bill was for water supplied by Southern Water, and it was paid via Highdown Debt Recovery, by my debit card. The money left my bank on September 2nd 2008, and shows on my statement as having been paid direct to Southern Water.

Aventis Credit has been chasing me since for the same amount for the same company, and I have already given them full details, first by telephone, and since by letter. I also told them to quit harrassing me by any means whatsoever and threatened to file charges against them.

Since then I have received another letter dated December 12, which could have crossed with the non-harrasment and details of payment I sent to them. Today I have received a letter from their Enforcement Arm, threatening immediate court action and having added another £178.81 to the non-existent debt.

Any clues as to how to deal with this Please?

Cheers, Midori

p.s. In some perverse way I am hoping they might take it to court, then I can make them look total fools, and maybe countersue for harrassment, and maybe other things too! (I am a pensioner, so every little helps!)

Edited by Midori
additional info

I would send them an email/recorded delivery letter. Stating that the account was settled on the date you mentioned and if they check with Southern Water they will find this so.

Also state that you regard their threats as intimidatory and threatening especially as the account has been settled, and if you receive any further threatening letters they will be regarded as harrassment and against the CPUTR 2008, and you will have no hesitation in reporting them to the FOS, OFT and Trading Standards.

State that you do not expect to hear from them again and if you have to write to them again you will charge them £20 for doing so.

Ditto all of the above.

I've had dealings with this shower both at home and at work, and have to say they are most incompetent bunch of amoebas I have ever come across! I made the mistake of trying to explain that I had already paid to the woman who called me. I wrongly assumed that she was in possession of the company brain cell that day!

In the end, I confirmed with Southern Water that they had received my payment, told S Water I would not be dealing with Avantis so call them off. It seemed to work, except that on Xmas Eve I received a 'legal' letter (yeh, right - my big toe knows more about the law than they seem to) telling me they are chasing a bill from January 2007. Haven't done anything about - like you, I will wait for them to 'take me to court'.

Update,

On Friday 9th Jan, someone from Avantis rang me and I went through the whole sorry thing again, he denied having received the letter I sent with the receipt on, giving as a reason that they had moved!

I told him that the company was still using it's old stationery and I had naturally addressed the letter to the address on the letterhead. I explained that, as a matter of goodwill, I would send my proofs for a 3rd time.

Later the same day I received 3 identical letters (even to the signatures) thanking me for my letter and inviting me to take up a Payment Plan with them! I am currently still p-ing myself laughing at their incompetance!

I personally wouldn't be bothered with them. You have proof of payment and they are trying to con another payment from you.

I would write saying "if you are too thick to understand, then take me to court".

I then wouldn't reply to any further attempts to contact you. I would also be abusive to them on the phone if they called.