• Tweets

• if the agreement was taken out jan 23, then she has not reached the 1/3rd mark so the car has not become protected goods under the consumer credit act.  this puts her in a very very vulnerable position regarding ever keeping the car....whereby once they have issued a default notice they can legally send a guy with a flatbed (though they are NOT BAILIFFS and have ZERO legal powers) to collect the car.  if the car is kept on the public highway then they can simply take it away and she will legally owe the whole stated amount on the agreement AND lose the car. if it's on private property i'e like a driveway, ok they shouldn't take it without her agreeing, but if they do, it's not really on but its better than a court case and an inevitable loss with the granting a return of goods order. are these 'health reasons' likely to resolve themselves in the very short term (like a couple of months?) and can she immediately begin working again ? i'e has she got a job or would have to find one?  answer the above and we'll try and help. but she looks to be between rock and a hard place . whatever happens she will still have to pay the loan off...car or no car....unless you can appeal to the finance company's better nature using health reasons to back off for xxx months.
    • no need to use it. it doubles the size of the thread and makes it very diff to find replies on small screens too. just like @username it - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread already inc you ...gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.
    • Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Having fun with Marlin

PeteT
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5593 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm having some "fun" with Marlin at the moment.

I can't remember exact dates as I don't have all the documentation to hand but I'll try and explain.

I had a car through British Credit Trust and I fell behind with repayments in 2004. BCT registered a default on my credit file (I don't remember ever getting one but it was a long time ago) and Marlin picked this debt up approx 31/2 years ago. BCT then changed the default to settled. I was happily paying them each month but they wanted more money.... I couldn't afford the original so why would I be paying Marlin more??

I CCA'd them in April 2007 and I got a badly photocopied copy of the agreement, and a bunch of "notices of assigment" which assigned and re-assigned to different trading names of Marlin (Nothing from BCT and nothing that even identified me or my debt, or anyones debt for that matter) no T&Cs, not statements etc....

I let the time expire and informed them that I would no longer be paying them as they are in breach of the CCA request.

I heard nothing until a monthly check on my credit file shows that Marlin registered a default on my account in October 08.

I contacted the CRAs and advised them the debt with in dispute and that they have not issued any default notice from them and as such the default should be removed..... got 2 standard letters back. Equifax sent the "they have not responded to our letter and as such we removed the details" letter. Experian sent their "the company registering the default say it's correct therefore it stays". I got a letter from Marlin that was on the lines of "You owe us £xyz and that's why we can put the default on your account".

With Xmas looming I left it for the time being and I got a phone call on the 17th or 18th Dec from James at Marlin.

James: "Just wondering when we will receive your payment...."

Me: "When you fulfill my CCA request from 2007"

James: "Oh..CCA request? Did you know there was a recent change in the law?"

Me: "Really?"

He then went on to explain the "change in the law" that meant they no longer had to respond to CCA request....... you guessed it.. The Rankine case.

I was not aware of the Rankine case at the time so I asked for a short time to look into this. I jumped on the net and found the judgement and chuckled to myself. I reckoned that as it's getting close to the end of the year that they want some extra cash coming in via scaremongering.

I went away for Xmas and I have come back to 3 calls from Marlin whilst I was away. On the 2nd Jan I received a phone call from a rather eloquent young lady. First they didn't need to respond to the CCA request as the account was terminated. I said that if the account was terminated, under what authority and under which account did they issue the default in October. I then asked why they deciced to partially fulfill the request in 2007 if they didn't need to. I could hear furious tapping on keyboard.

"Well there was a recent change in the......" "Law ....The Rankine case?" I interrupted. "YES". I chuckled and tried to explain changes of law vs precedents vs case law. I was cleared wasting my time. I asked if she had an legal training at all and she told me she did. I asked to what degree is she trained and she just kept shouting down the phone that she didn't need a law degree :confused:. I said to her that until such time that she can converse with me properly and stop shouting that she'd need to call back and if not then just take me to court. She to get a "we are gonna make you bankrupt" in before I hung up.

Today I receive a call from Maggie. I swear they read from the same script. Maggie pointed out that I'd acknowledged the debt by paying it in the past so why wasn't I paying it? I said I have not disputed the debt, merely that the debt is unenforceable. She asked why I thought it was unenforcebale so I again went through the CCA and that they are commiting an offense. "Well stealing is on offence, you borrowed my money that you are not paying back". I said it's a civil offence, not criminal if I had stolen her money to call the police. I should have quoted Section 1 (1) of the Theft Act 1968 at her, the section about permenant deprivation, and that I'd happily pay once they fulfill the CCA request.

She replied with a cheery "SEE YOU IN COURT" before slamming down the phone. 10 mins later the phone rings again.... some guy who I can only describe as sounding like a typical amercian "stoner" asked for me. I said I'm not here at the moment can I take a message. He thought about it for a few seconds.... maybe trying to comprehend how I managed to answer the phone if I wasn't there and said he'd not leave a message and hung up.

Anyway, storytime over and it's time for questions.

1) In my initial CCA I requested only contact by letter. I've had 6 or 7 calls in the last week alone, plus some whilst I was away. How do I best deal with that.

2) Having paid the debt previously I can no longer say I don't acknowledge the debt. Has this prejusticed my position at all with the breach of CCA request being my only defence.

3) If they do send a SD, is the breached CCA request enough to get it set aside?

4) The addition of the default on my credit files whilst in dispute. WHat can I do about that? I've read recently about the cases where compensation was granted for damages in similar circumstances - one about a cheque being bounced be a bank for no reason and another about a laptop not having a modem. Is it worth pointing out these case to them in hope that they may back down??

Thanks in advance

Pete

you can lawfully request a cca anytime you like, and if they fail to provide it then you are within your rights to withold payment, failure to provide a lawfully requested document is sufficient cause to get an sd set aside.

also while your at it send them the phone harassment letter from the library

Good story but in future refer them to the 2006 Theft Act. It has replaced the 1968 one

I didn't mention it to them at the time - you always have 20:20 vision in hindsight!! I'm glad I didn't now......not that she'd have even know the difference!

Damn right.

Got 2 letters today - both dated 7th Jan.

Letter 1: FIELD AGENT VISIT.

Holy crap!! Jack Bauer is coming to kick my a**!!!

Oh wait, they are sending it over to Scotcall, not CTU.

Letter 2: Notice of intention to preceed

Litigation Section blah blah County Court blah blah 10 days to offer payment blah blah Failure MAY result in a CCJ, Attachment of Earnings registered against my property..... like to see how when I own no properties and have no assets linked to me!!

I'm more than happy to go to court so I can explain how they have failed to fulfill a CCA request for nearly 2 years, had athem ringing repeatedly despite being asked not to in writing, registered a default on my CRA file without issuing a default notice and whilst the account was in dispute and finally how their staff have repeatedly lied about the "change in the law meaning they no long have to fulfill CCA requests"