• Tweets

• I would only rely on your solicitor in this regard. The other two should not have a view.   And, you are responsible for how the court perceive you. They only have your words and deeds to go on. Expecting them to magically see things your way is not a great tactic.
    • Yes, I don't think there is any downside to doing this. If they decline then you can say that in your witness statement
    • Ok! Do you still want me to work on that letter you discussed above in post #26?
    • Thank you for posting up the required details and well done for apparently not revealing the identity of the driver. I am assuming you are the keeper? The depth of ignorance of the parking companies is absolutely amazing. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 is the law relating to private parking and allows those rogues to be able to transfer the charge from the driver [whose name they do not know] to the keeper after 28 days . This is dependent on them complying with the Act. So many of the don't and Alliance is no different. It would help if we could see what you appeal was and to post the back of the PCN as it is lacking so much of the wording necessary to make it compliant so that in your case only the driver is liable to pay the charge. And of course just entering the ANPR arrival times means that they have failed to specify the parking time which is a requirement..  Because the car park was so busy you had to drive around for quite a while before finally finding a place to park which is when the parking period may  actually begin. The poor dears at Alliance have not grasped that particular part of the legislation as yet. To be fair the Act has only been in place for 12 years so one must make allowances for their stupidity . We shouldn't really mock them- but it is fun. You weren't to know but the chances of winning an appeal against Alliance and the IPC is around 5%-and that is high for them. If they allow you to cancel they lose the chance of making money and they would have had a field day when you were there with so many people being caught overstaying because of the chaos in trying to find a parking space then trying to pay.  Your snotty letter could go something like this- Dear Cretins, Yes I mean you Alliance. After 12 years one would have thought that even you could produce a compliant PCN. Did you really think I would pay you a penny extra considering the time I wasted trying  to pay with  long queues at the parking machine, then trying to get a signal to call Just Park. On top of that you then had the cheek to ask for an additional £70 for what dubious unspecified pleasure? You must have made a killing that day charging all those motorists for overstaying because the queues to pay were do long and even walking to pay from the over flow parking fields takes time. And yes I did take photos of the non existent signs in the fields so please don't give me the usual rubbish about your signs being clearly visible. Oh yes that £70. Please tell me and the Court whether that charge included VAT and if it did, why am I being charged to pay your vat? I am sure the Judge would look carefully at that as well as the Inland Revenue. The truth is you had no reasonable cause to ask the DVLA for my data given the chaos at your car park and I believe that you therefore breached my GDPR...................... I expect others will give their views as well.          
    • opps this is going to get messy then if they don't refund. you should never keep util accounts in credit.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Carter & Argoes Debt i dont owe

kalahari
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

For once I have a debt I don't actually owe, I got a letter from those stallions of the Debt collector industry Bryan Carter and Co.

I've typed a letter up in reply but would like some of you experienced types to give it a quick glance to see if it can be improved.

Here is my reply which saves me explaining the circumstances, I intend to send this via recorded delivery on Tuesday.

-------------------------------------------------

Your ref XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear (not sure who to address this to, your standard letter omitted the name of the person dealing with this).

Thank you for your letter concerning the above account. We do not acknowledge the debt that this concerns.

The basis for our disputing this debt is as follows.

At the end of last year we ordered a jumper from Additions direct, we paid for the item using our credit card. We did not receive the item and contacted Additions who then sent it out claiming a problem had arisen and apologised.

We, at no time, asked for credit and paid for the item in full at the time of purchase.

Our belief is that an error has occurred and we have been charged twice for the jumper, once with the original order and a second time when the order was actually sent out.

As no agreement for credit was ever entered into we are puzzled as to how you can be pursuing this as if one did. We have mentioned the above circumstances to several debt collectors who assure us the matter will be dealt with on each occasion. However this never happens as they just seem to pass the matter on.

We are fully aware of our rights in this matter and are more than prepared to defend this in court which is where your letter appears to insinuate this is going.

I would like the following steps to be taken by you or your client.

1. A copy of the alleged credit agreement allowing you to pursue this debt is to be forwarded to me.

2. Proof to be supplied to me that this debt does actually exist.

3. A detailed statement showing in full how a £20 Jumper (Paid for at the time of purchase) has incurred a debt of £140.25p. In my eyes this seems to be little more than extortion.

Should you be unable to complete the above steps I am sure you will agree your chances of successfully winning this case in court will be none-exsistant. In that case I will accept nothing less than both the written acknowledgement from yourselves and your clients that the matter is closed plus written confirmation that all erroneous information regarding this matter is removed from my credit file.

If you fail to respond to this letter and all points raised within we reserve the right to present this letter (and proofs of postage) to the District Judge or Sheriff in support of our defence.

------------------------------------

That last paragraph is an almost word for word copy from their letter's last paragraph stating what will happen if I refuse to dispute the matter now.

Yep I've read a few stories on here about them. I'm assuming though that if they did try to push this through a court that a lack of any credit arrangement would prove I owe nothing. I think they are fishing to see if I'll pay up. In fact I'd be willing to bet money a living person has spent less than 5 mins on this and automatic procedures are to blame for it getting this far.

Too complicated for BC a simple

Dear Cretin

You wrote to me reference a NON Existant debt, Now either prove it exists, or SOD OFF, or take me to court NOW

Regards

Kalahari

Oh dear, reading that whilst drinking was not advised. I'd love to send them that!

• 1 month later...

Well, got a response from Argos...

We are unable to locate a copy of an executed agreement, here is a blank copy.

From our records your account was opened in 2005 (Wrong it was 2007) and you agreed to pay blah blah blah.

So they don't have a leg to stand on even though they have not admitted any mistake, is there a letter on here that I can adapt to say no agreement no debt?

I want to stick a moan in there too about the mishandling of my account.

There is an account ni dispute letter that you can send but I'm not sure which legislation you need to refer to when writing it. I'll try to find someone who knows about these things to come on this thread and put up a template for you.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Send a letter to Sara Weller, Managing Director, at their head office stating exactly what you have said here....I had a problem with a bed from Additions about 5 years ago, and emailed her directly, and my problem was sorted out in a couple of days....I would always recommend starting at the top and if need be work your way down....send the letter recorded, i'm pretty sure your problem will be sorted out very quickly...

Let me just get the background information right on this one.

Did you send the letter in your first post to Carter? You say you have now had a reply from Argos. Is Additions Direct, which you mention in your first post, part of Argos, and, if so, what did you send to them?

I am assuming that you ordered a jumper from a catalogue, and paid for it at the time. Do you have paperwork to prove the payment was made?

Do you know if Carter is just claiming money for this one item, or were there other items supposedly ordered on this account? If so, has the account been closed and sold or assigned to Carter?

We need to know the exact situation before trying to compose a letter. It may be that one specifically tailored to the situation will be better than a template.

SH

Let me just get the background information right on this one.

Did you send the letter in your first post to Carter? You say you have now had a reply from Argos. Is Additions Direct, which you mention in your first post, part of Argos, and, if so, what did you send to them?

I am assuming that you ordered a jumper from a catalogue, and paid for it at the time. Do you have paperwork to prove the payment was made?

Do you know if Carter is just claiming money for this one item, or were there other items supposedly ordered on this account? If so, has the account been closed and sold or assigned to Carter?

We need to know the exact situation before trying to compose a letter. It may be that one specifically tailored to the situation will be better than a template.

SH

Hi,

Wrote to Carter, got reply back from additions (Argos additions). I've only dealt with Argos on the phone about 7 months back.

The jumper was ordered from the Additions website paid for by credit card at time of purchase. At no time did I ask for it on credit.

All I know is Carter are now chasing this debt, and it has seen at least two other DC's who just pass it on whenever they get the details from me.

I'm sending them this...

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for letter dated XXXXX.

By your own admission you do not have a credit agreement for this account I therefore find it to be amazing you are still pursuing this matter asking for further repayments!

Had you bothered to look into my case you will see I never did agree to a credit arangement as payment was made at time of purchase, therefore I would have been flabbergasted had such an agreement surfaced.

I demand the following action which, purely in light of the lack of credit agreement, you have no choice but to comply with. Any further resistance on your part is futile.

1. All information regarding this account to be removed from my credit record, not simply marked paid but removed in full.

2. All debt collectors you have instructed to collect this account are to be stopped before any more harassment is caused to myself.

3. The account to be closed, balance set to £0.00 and no further demand for payment requested.

I would also like an apology for the stress and hardship I have suffered, which included the embarrassment of being turned down for a loan partly due to this incorrect information being on my credit file. The apology should also include reimbursement for the time I have spent getting this matter concluded.

Obviously I know you won't do any of the last paragraph, this account will probably just get filed under 'debtors who got away with it'. But if my numbered requests are not fully complied with I will be pursuing this matter further including a full claim for all my costs.

I await your confirmation that points 1-3 have been fully complied with within the next 28 working days from the date of this letter.

Sound OK?