Lowell

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

I have just started receiving mail from Lowell to a address i lived at some 20 years ago. the debt is almost 5 years old and a big one of about £15000 I have not replied to any letters , should I keep doing this or should I phone them , will they make me bankrupt?

scobby

the decision is yours on what you intend to do.

this is a phising expedition from lowells to get you to contact them.

in the past, letters from a dca was ignored.

in the end they gave up and sold it on to another dca.

if they do send a letter to your current address, come back to your thread for advice.

time is on your side, so just file under ignore for the time being.

when was the last time payment went into the account from you.

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION

Ask yourself "Is it really necessary for me know what's on my Credit file??" before you actually do anything.

CRA and DCA is the same thing. Some CRA's actually own DCA's, Equifax and Wescot being the classic example.

If your account is flagged, requesting your credit report rings the dinner bell and your credit file is instantly knackered.

CRA's are the new CCJ's.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

I know whats on my credit report....enough mis-information/defaults/late payments/ CCJ's & goodness knows whatelse to shame the nation :D

The ironic thing is..its never really effected me much in terms of getting approved for things/getting on with life etc..

Makes you think that they are not actually worth the paper they are printed on :rolleyes:

The sad thing is that many people are enticed by the pop-ups that appear for the various Credit Reference Agencies and they foolishly in my opinion check their Credit Rating. In doing so they provide the DCAs with an up to date address and possibly a new telephone number for their threat monkeys to torment you on. You then open the door to all sorts of Junk Mail including offers of High Interest Loans and Credit Cards and begging letters from some low-life DCA about a 10 yr old Statute Barred and Long forgotten debt. Until these agencies are more careful about the information they share with their buddies in DCA land I for one would not advocate any correspondence with them other than through a medium.

There is a lot at stake here as this a potentially huge debt.

I would strongly advise against getting a credit report, as you will be flagging your address to the enemy.

Ignore anything which is not sent to your proper address. Time is the critical factor here.

You say the last payment was made in 2003, and you also say that the alleged debt is nearly 5 years old. I take it that means the alleged debt had a payment made on it in November or December 2003.

It really is going to be difficult to sit this year out until the debt becomes statute barred, unless they have no valid CCA.

This is something you simply don't know, and cannot find out unless you CCA them, which will be a gamble as you will be flagging your address.

Be prepared to CCA them the very moment they find your current address, because at that point there is no point in being quiet any more. You need to force them to show their hand.

I am assuming in saying that that this is a debt which is covered by the Consumer Credit Act 1974? I notice you don't say in your original post.

What you need to do is sit tight for now and wait, but be preparing your tactics of how to respond in two specific eventualities - firstly, they HAVE a valid CCA, and, secondly, if they DON'T have a valid CCA.

If they don't have a valid CCA then it is easy. They cannot enforce the debt so provided you aren't insane enough to acknowledge the debt or pay anything it will get over the statute barred line and the game will be over.

If they DO come up with a valid CCA, it will be far more difficult. Without knowing your circumstances I cannot possibly say what the best move will be. Do you own property? How do you earn your living? (Don't answer these questions on here, by the way, as it will only help them to identify you).

In some peoples' cases it could be as simple as taking a year out to work abroad and cutting the paper trail completely. Other people will be far more rooted to their current location with work, property ownership, family etc.

These are things you need to consider now, just in case they can come up with a valid CCA.

As for making you bankrupt, whether they would try to do that would depend on your asset level. With a debt of this size they will do anything and everything to collect on it. If you are clearly seen to be owning property with enough equity in it to cover the alleged debt then they will petition for bankruptcy at the drop of a hat. They are only interested in money.

If you have no assets and are living on benefits then bankruptcy would do you a lot more good than them. The debts would be off your back and they would get nothing. So they simply wouldn't try to make you bankrupt. If you were to get discharged and then get a decent job after that, they would not be able to claim any money from you.

So much of this depends on your personal circumstances. You just need to have your moves worked out in advance and know how you are going to handle each possible eventuality.

SH

• 2 months later...

Hi All

A short line to let you know whats going on, well they are still sending the letters same ones, time after time.

I was thinking getting my credit check, I don't what to do let my present address be made available, so I was thinking about checking my C S on line using a prepaid cc ? will I able to see my c s on line instantly .

any thoughts

Hi,

I think that you'll have to put your address in when trying to find your CS. Keeping a low profile is the way to go i think.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

This needs careful handling, as the alleged debt is for a huge amount of money, and is on the verge of being statute barred. I would strongly advise holding off on any idea of checking your credit file until you are sure that the SB date has passed.

How accurately can you pinpoint the date at which you last acknowledged this alleged debt in writing, or made a payment on it?

SH

Quote SH

How accurately can you pinpoint the date at which you last acknowledged this alleged debt in writing, or made a payment on it?

This is the question

Notts

As a great man once said " All Men Can Fly But Some Only in One Direction"

Notts

Under NO circumstances would I recomend you check your Credit Report. Its now a well established fact that any info you give the CRAs will find its way to their buddies in DCA land. Why bother with it until you are sure the alleged debt is Stat Barred. Once you contact a CRA you will open the floodgates to a deluge of DCAs, Credit Card and Loan Applications.

You have been warned. If you get your CRA file you will open the flood gates. GUARANTEED. Even doing it online is a no no as the address you enter is checked against your credit card so they will soon find you. What is this debt for, and with who?

• 4 weeks later...