• Tweets

• Let me start by saying I feel tremendous regret, shame and remorse. I have some debt and personal life has fallen apart over the last year which has caused me to be careless. Doesn’t make it okay I know. In a positive way, i will never take anything in life for granted ever again. I want to volunteer and go back to being a good person. I need some advice/reassurance on the below so I can move on better from this experience. A few days ago I was caught at sainsburys, I paid for part of the food (about £5) and didn’t pay for the other (about £8-10) at self checkout. when I got to the exit someone in plain clothes asked to see my receipt and bag and that they worked for mitie. I told him the receipt was in the store bin (true) and he said he followed me round and knows I didn’t pay for all of it. he very sternly but calmly said he just needs my name then I can leave with the shopping. I said i am in a bad day and can’t do this and was on the verge of breaking down. So I handed him the shopping and slowly walked out. No name given (I read elsewhere this is good and makes it unlikely to develop) and I have no way knowing if police contacted. I overthink a lot and I wonder if they can track me via debit card or nectar card on the transaction. I also wonder if they saw me do it last month and have been waiting for me. I know someone who works at their head office and terrified somehow it will get back. I’m also terrified of being recognised in the street.    I don’t know what’s going to happen. I see a lot in the news today about shoplifting 
    • Hi, I’ve just spotted an Arrangement to Pay marker (TransUnion) on my Barclays Mortgage account for 1 month in March 2022. I’ve spoken to Barclays Customer Service and Complaints about this and they’ve given me some background but have closed my complaint: Direct Debit for mortgage bounced in February and I didn’t notice this at the time. Realised there were arrears in March and called customer service straight away. Offered to pay half the arrears on the call with the other half of the arrears the following month. I prob suggested or accepted this as had done that many years previously when I was a poor student with no adverse consequences. Paid in accordance with this. Barclays call notes report they informed me credit reference agencies would be notified and I indicated I understood. However, complaints team couldn’t access the call because it was too old. They advised I could request a transcript through GDPR and complain via ombudsman if still unhappy - I’ll process the GDPR request this week. Whilst it may be factual that I entered into some kind of arrangement regarding the arrears, it wasn’t clear to me that they would be treating it and reporting it as a formal payment plan along with the potential consequences of this. At no point did I agree to or request to “reducing my contractual payments” - I paid my contractual amount for March and April with 50% more on top. I guess it’s likely they did say something vague about credit reference agencies and it’s also possible that I may have agreed without fully understanding it would be different to a late payment marker. I’m not 100% sure of the impact of the AP but I believe it did tighten up balance transfer and new card offers (Lloyds group in particular) even though the rest of my report is spotless and I have many years managing multiple high balance cards. Although it may have been less comfortable, I also believe I had the means to pay the balance in full if I’d realised the impact at the time. Finally, it feels like Ive been penalised for speaking to customer services directly rather than just upping my payments to cover the arrears. Historically, I was under the impression that Barclays mortgages weren’t even reporting arrears of less than 2-3 months as late payments - although this may have changed since the last time I was in arrears. I’ve had a browse through threads about AP markers and it seems like removal is unlikely if it’s deemed factual but it may be worthwhile escalating to FOS or ICO? Will update with transcript details once I’ve raised and received a response to my request. I suppose the upside of this is that I’ll be even more cautious about negative markers in the future. Thanks, J
    • Rwandans claim asylum in Oz. Rwandans arrive in Australia after perilous journey to claim asylum | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Hunters reportedly find five Rwandan men in mangroves on Saibai Island, a known crocodile habitat  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome Finance and dodgy AOE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

oh and I got a copy of the cleared cheque from the bank today which was sent with the SAR, it has my name scribbled on the back along with some kind of reference number so I will be submitting that to the court as proof they did receive and process my request, they just chose to ignore their obligations and did not forward anything to me!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Have you prepared the spreadsheet with the breakdown of the payments made to Welcome and 8% interest till the date of the scheduled hearing - 23rd January 2009?

If you don't know how to calculate the 8% statutory interest then you can search on this site - there is an interest calculator somewhere - or use the Excel version that I use which I have attached to this post.

Copy the cheque copy that you have received 2 times [once for the court and once for the Claimant/Respondent] and draft a cover sheet with the same header that I have put on the draft order in my post with your arguments for the Application. Instead of 'APPLICANT'S PROPOSED DRAFT ORDER', write 'APPLICANT'S ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS FOR HEARING'.

Then write below that;

1. The Applicant attaches the following documents for the hearing of his Application on 23rd January 2009 at Norwich County Court. These documents have been served on the Respondent by Royal Mail Special Delivery at least 48 hours prior to the hearing due to the short notice provided of the hearing.

a) Copy of Applicant's cheque that was cashed by Respondent for the Subject Access Request that the Respondent did not comply with.

b) Breakdown of amounts that the Respondent has received from the Applicant by way of an Attachment of Earnings together with a breakdown of statutory interest on those amounts from the dates they were debited from the Applicant's wages.

c) The Applicant's Costs Schedule.

Statement of Truth:

The Applicant [Defendant] believes that all the facts stated in this document are true:

Signed: ______________________ Dated: 19th January 2009

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you will have a and b, we need to do c. Pursuant to CPR 48.6(4)(b) subject to CPR PD 43-48, Section 52.4 the cost that a Litigant in Person may claim is £9.25 per hour.

What you need to do is prepare another document with the same header as for the draft order and for the cover sheet with 'APPLICANT'S COSTS SCHEDULE' written in the header line.

Below that you should write;

The Applicant [Defendant] claims costs incurred in making this Application at the rate of £9.25 per hour pursuant to CPR 48.6(4)(b), subject to CPR PD 43-48, Section 52.4 and court costs that the Applicant has incurred in making this Application. The court fee incurred by the Applicant is £75.

Now you need to make a table with 3 columns. 1st column should have just the item number, in consecutive order, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,... 2nd column should be longer as this will be the description. 3rd column will have the amount claimed.

The numbers in the first column centre in the box. In the second column write the date in the top left - first line, description of what you used the time for in the second line, third line should be aligned to the right and should say how many hours @ £9.25 per hour. The third column should be bottom centred with the total amount.

For example (second column, one row);

29th December 2009

Preparation of Application and supporting documents

2 hours @ £9.25 per hour

Don't exaggerate, round the time in 15 minute blocks, don't claim for when you spent 30 seconds calling somebody - if you have any like that, or 30 seconds reading a notification from CAG that you have new post from me, that would be exaggerated. Then provide a breakdown here, so I can evaluate it. If you don't know the date then you can estimate it, but make sure it's logical and they can't prove you wrong, for example if you can't remember whether Monday or Tuesday you logged on to deal with it, then write Tuesday unless on Tuesday you spent your whole day and night in meetings.

The last line should have no number in column 1, TOTAL right aligned in column 2, and the total amount bolded in column 3.

Copy and paste it here, and then we'll finish it.

MS EXCEL_Interest_Calculation_8%_V1.2.xls

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

I'm PMing a mod to approve both our attachments as I can't check it till then.

Assuming it's not exaggerated, that should be Ok. I'll look through it when it's approved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

Ok, now that our attachments have been approved, I've been able to go through your attachment. Rather than modifying it and posting another attachment and waiting for that to be approved, I'll explain here what should be changed and added.

1. The text 'CLAIM NO.: XXXXXX' should be closer to the text above it and should be on the right hand side of the page, preferably on the same line, but if you can't do that then on the next line.

2. The lines above and below 'APPLICANT'S COSTS SCHEDULE' should be full lines - like borders. In Word you can normally do that by pressing the '-' button on your keyboard about 10-20 times and pressing 'Enter'. If this doesn't work then go to Format, Borders and Shading and select the top and bottom parts of the image in the right hand box.

3. 'Making Application for Re-determination of Attachment of Earnings amount' is not true. You didn't make an Application as such. Rename it to 'Preparing request for re-determination of Application of Earnings amount.'

4. You can't claim for making the SAR to the Respondent. Remove that one.

5. Don't capitalize all first letters of the words. 'Attachment of Earnings', 'Application' and 'Set Aside Judgment' are the only words within a sentence that should be capitalized.

6. 4 should be: 'Attending (incl. travel) hearing for re-determination of amount of Attachment of Earnings.'

7. 5 should be: 'Preparation of Application to Set Aside Judgment.'

8. 6 should be: 'Preparation of additional documents for hearing of Application to Set Aside Judgment.'

9. 7 should be: 'Attending (incl. travel) hearing of Application to Set Aside Judgment'.

The line with the amount of hours, should not be bold and should be aligned to the right of each cell. Delete the spare line afterwards.

Remove the dash after each date and put the description on a second line.

Change the alignment of the text " The Applicant [Defendant] claims costs incurred in making this Application at the rate of £9.25 per hour pursuant to CPR 48.6(4)(b), subject to CPR PD 43-48, Section 52.4 and court costs that the Applicant has incurred in making this Application. The court fee incurred by the Applicant is £75." to 'Justified' which will make it look clearer.

You don't need so many spaces; delete some of the lines above and below that text, so there is only one line gap between the header and the text, and the text and the table.

Remove the last spare line below TOTAL. (Obviously amend the total due to point 4 of mine above).

Finally at the bottom of the sheet, add the following text [one line after the table];

Statement of Truth:

I believe that the facts stated in this Costs Schedule are true:

Signed: _________________ Dated: 20th January 2009

Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am not going to comment on the amount of time you have claimed, but I doubt the Judge would accept it. Firstly, did each item take up the whole hour, or did it take 15 minutes, or half an hour less? Secondly, it seems a bit exaggerated to claim 2 hours for these additional documents or 3 hours for seeking legal advice. You are unlikely to get those requests if you ask for so much time, I am talking from experience. There is no guarantee you will get costs but the more reasonable it looks to the Judge the more chances you have. I am playing devil's advocate here, no offence is meant.

Once all the documents are ready - my interest spreadsheet attachment has now been approved, so you can use that - prepare a cover letter to the court and the claimant with the following text:

Dear Sirs,

20th January 2009

Re: Welcome Financial Services Limited vs. Mr. xxxxxxx

Claim No.: XXXXXXXXXX

Application Hearing on 23rd January 2009 at xxxam/pm

I write further to the above matter.

Please find attached further documents, including the Applicant's Costs Schedule and a breakdown of amounts debited by the Respondent from the Applicant's wages in preparation for this hearing.

Sincerely,

Mr. XXXXXX

- Add another 2 paragraphs to the letter to the court as follows:

Please endeavour to make sure that these documents are on the court file in time for the hearing.

I can confirm that these documents have also been served on the Respondent by Royal Mail Special Delivery at least 48 hours prior to the hearing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign all documents. Print copies for yourself and sign those too. Take copies of everything to the hearing. Make sure that the Costs Schedule, Breakdown of amounts they've debited and everything else including special delivery receipts and cover letters is taken to the hearing, preferably in a folder with each document in another plastic.

Send the relevant documents tomorrow by special delivery (not recorded delivery) to the Court office and the Respondent.

Best of Luck!

Keep us posted.

Just had the hearing, got the same Judge as last time. He has dismissed the application, saying that there is not enough evidence to suggest I would have a successful defense in a claim, and more importantly to him, that it was not made promtly.

He made reference to the Data Protection Act and said that he was not in a position, or was his court, to make comment on that!!! What????????

In a word. Gutted.

Just had the hearing, got the same Judge as last time. He has dismissed the application, saying that there is not enough evidence to suggest I would have a successful defense in a claim, and more importantly to him, that it was not made promtly.

He made reference to the Data Protection Act and said that he was not in a position, or was his court, to make comment on that!!! What????????

In a word. Gutted.

I don't know what to say. You really got a pillock of a judge.

Maybe somebody more experienced than me will be able to help. I think you may need a Solicitor.

yeah I have just been on the phone trying to arrange one. I take it there is always a right to appeal in these cases?

Thanks for all your help so far, I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw the Judges name on the sheet in court.

yeah I have just been on the phone trying to arrange one. I take it there is always a right to appeal in these cases?

Thanks for all your help so far, I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw the Judges name on the sheet in court.

There is never an automatic right to appeal!

You should have asked for a different judge from the clerk. In the big courts they are normally willing to change the judge's. I would have said to them that I want a different judge. I've done it before, as long as you do it before you even go in to the courtroom and ask the clerk.

Please keep us posted.

• 9 months later...

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Received a call from Welcomes solicitors today (Young and Pearce)

I had a succesful appeal hearing in August, and my retrial was set for next week. Now Welcome have decided that it will not be cost effective to pursue the matter and have drafted a consent order for me to sign which sets aside the judgement, removes it from the rigister, dismisses any future claim and cancels the attachment of earnings order, obviously this means all I have paid to date under that order will be repaid to me.

All I have to do is sign and return which I will do tomoro by fax. The only condition is that there be no claim for costs, which I can live with if it means the whole sorry mess is put to bed.

I dont believe for one minute that their reasons for not pursuing it are down to cost, I would like to think I have made such a good case over the last year that now its facing retrial, they realise its not going to go their way!

So... I now am in the Welcome Won Club, well once the court stamps the order. Thanks guys for all your help on this!

Nick

hi randomnick

SEEN THE CONSENT ORDER AND I AM HAPPY WITH IT

IME SURE THERE WAS MORE TO THIS THAN MET THE EYE

ALARM BELLS TELLING ME,

WHAT DID WELCOME NOT WANT TO RELEASE IN COURT FOR THIS TURNAROUND

HATS OFF TO YOU THOUGH

WE GOT THERE IN THE END

WELCOME TO THE WELCOME WON CLUB:D:D:D:D