• Tweets

• You have of course checked the car is now taxed and the £68 is stated against  the same reg?  If the tax for the same car did over lap, then I can't see you having an issue pleading not guilty Dx
    • The boundary wiill not be the yellow line.  Dx  
    • Afternoon all Looking for advice before I defend claim for car tax payment that the DVLA claim I owe £68 from an idemity claimback from my bank and unpaid tax  brief outline. Purchased car Jan 30th ,garage paid the tax for me after I gave them my card details  first payment £68 out in Feb 24  followed by payment of £31 from March due to end Jan 24 Checked one of my vehicle apps and about 7-10 days later car showing as untaxed? No reason why but it looks like DVLA cancelled it , this could be because I did not have the V5 and the gargae paid on my behalf but not sure did not receive a letter to say car was untaxed.  Fair enough I set up the tax again staight away in Feb 24  and first payment out Mar 31st , and each payment since has come out each month for £31 , this will end Feb/Mar 2025, slightly longer than the original tax set up, all good. I then claimed the £68 back from my bank as an indemity refund as obviously I had paid but DVLA had cancelled therefore it was a payment for nothing?  Last week recieved a SJP form dated 29th May stating that DVLA were claiming for unpaid tax and a false indemity claimback which of course is the £68. It also stated that I had received two previous letters offering me the oppotunity to pay that £68 but as I had not responded it was now a court claim that I must admit guilt for or defend. My post is held for weeks at a time from Royal Mail ( keepsafe) due to me receiving hospital tretament at weeks at a time that said I did not receive any previous letters from DVLA. I am happy to defend this and go to court but wondering what CAG members think? In summary I paid an initial amount of £68 and then a DD of £31 , tax cancelled  I set up a new DD at £31 a month all in the month of Feb 2024, I claimed the £68 back from my bank. DD has been coming out each month without issue and I have paperwork to show the breakdown for both DD setup's plus bank statements showing the payments coming out . The second DD set up has extended payments up to Feb/Mar 2025. DVLA claiming the £68 was ilegally claimed back despite the fact they cancelled the original DD for reasons unknown. Is this defendable ? I will post up documents including the original DD conformations 
    • That doesn't look like clacton ... Former Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage buys coastal home in Lydd-on-Sea WWW.KENTONLINE.CO.UK Former Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage bought a coastal home in the county, it has been reported.  
    • It's not a private road.  It's a small public street (with Resi houses) that leads into and from public road/ highway. The garages have land in front of the doors.  Then there's a yellow line. So there's a clear marker on what is private and what is public.  These people keep parking on the private land side
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Vehicle Finance - car repo'd , now Debt Sold On To Dca - illegal repo?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Had a vehicle on finance and defaulted in the last year of the loan.

The vehicle was repossessed but even though its value was more than was owed the finance company sent me a demand for over £2000.

Presumably the vehicle was sold at auction and was sold for less than it was worth

Didn't respond to the demand and didn't hear again for about a year or so.

The finance company finally made contact and again demanded payment.

I did respond but never paid anything.

About 6 months later I got a letter from a debt collection company to say the debt had been sold on.

They are now getting very pushy and I said I could only afford £50 a month and emailed a copy of monthly expenditure.

Have now received a letter asking for copy of wage slips, proof of benefits etc.

I have been reading on this site about others in a similar situation where debts have been sold on and the advice is to request copy CCA in most cases.

However, other cases studied all seem to be for bank accounts and credit cards.

Should I still request CCA for a vehicle finance loan?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Hogie,

Moving this to the General Debt forum where I hope you'll get appropriate advice.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I'm sure that I have read read that if you had paid 2 thirds off the car agreement, then the car could not be reposessed. I'd do a search through the various forums, but hopefully someone may be able to confirm this.

Pete.

That's what I was fishing for.

If you had paid at least one third of the total amount payable under the agreement then they needed either a court order or your consent.

If they had neither then you have the right to get back any money that you have paid under the agreement.

(In Scotland they may need to get a court order at any time).

Thank you all for advice and support.

Paid off 3 years of a 4 year agreement. We were warned that veh would be reposessed if we couldn't pay so agreed that they could come and take it. But no written proof of this as all verbal.

If we had known it would be sold for less than its value we would have sold it ourselves and probably been able to settle all or nearly all of what we owed.

Am I entitled to ask for evidence of how much the finance company sold the vehicle for so that I can verify the amount of debt which was sold on to the debt collector?

Many thanks.

Get a £1 postal order & send them this Recorded Delivery:

The Finance Coy

Address

Oct 13th 2008

Account No: 123456 CarCredit

Dear Sir/Madam

With reference to the above agreement, we would be grateful if you would send us a copy of this credit agreement and a full breakdown of the account including any interest or charges applied.

We understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 [sections 77-79], we are entitled to receive a copy of any credit agreement and a statement of account on request. We enclose a payment of £1 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We understand a copy of any credit agreement along with a statement of account should be supplied within 12 working days and that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with the request for a copy of the agreement and statement of account under these sections of the Act.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Hogie (Dont sign )

Then chill a little & start counting 12+ 2 days.;)

Just re-read your last post - send the letter to the DCA.

• Haha 1

Thank you so much for the advice and support.Letter sent today.12+2 days and counting!!!

That's what CAG is about.

I'll be posting tonight looking for some help myself.

We learn a little & then pass it on.:wink:

Don't forget to confirm via the Royal Mail website that it has been signed for.They all have a nasty habit of never receiving mail.

Thank you POSTGGJ for directing me to CAZ's story.

However, the CCA and statement request I have just applied for is in respect of a car that I gave back with consent because I could not afford the rest of the payments.

Sent my CCA and statement request 5 days ago.

Today have received a post card requesting that I telephone to arrange a personal visit from a representative.

Should I reply and remind that I have sent the CCA request?

Can they send somebody without having made an appointment?

Would appreciate advice please.

i take it that this will be a welcome rep,

they dont do this unless they are woried over something

this smells like welcome dont have an agreement

also they may not have a default notice either

send them a letter saying that you will have no further comunication with them until they comply with your cca request

this visit, another tactic, is to re-wright the loan

they can bog off till they comply

did you get a default notice and how old is the agreement

Thanks for replying so quickly POSTGGJ.It is *******who I am dealing with, the debt was sold on to them. The Agreement was with *** taken out in 2002 and yes *** issued a default notice.However I will send a letter as you suggest.Thank you.

Edited by Hogie

I wouldn't reply - they could be sweating having received your request and trying to panic you.

Anyone can knock on your door but you dont have to answer.

Chances of them paying someone to call "on spec" are pretty thin.

If anyone calls then tell them you are awaiting the CCA to see proof of the debt.

Then ask them to close the gate on the way out.;)

they dont do this unless they are woried over something

this smells like welcome dont have an agreement

also they may not have a default notice either

I wouldn't reply - they could be sweating having received your request and trying to panic you.

Great minds think alike postggj ;)

OK so I won't reply. As long as they cannot make anything of the fact that I am effectively ignoring them. Have edited and removed names of the companies involved as I have just seen a warning that they are likely to read our threads. Paranoid or what!!!Thanks once more for the advice.

You shouldn't owe them anything,you have paid enough off the finance agreement.If the car was sold for £1 once they had taken it back thats their probelm.Provided the car was in reasonable condition ie not a wreck.Unless they went to court and got a repo order? you will not be liable for any monies owing.

All commnication via letter don't talk to them on the phone.

and screw the consumer again

same old story

i am in agreement with the chancellor on this one

it will be odds on that the finance company will have no info on returning the vehicle,

they would be more interested in the repo

cant comment any more until the results on the sar are back to confirm things

Update - 5 days ago I requested copy CCA and statement from the people who bought my debt from original vehicle finance company. They have sent 2 things - a copy of the Hire Purchase Agreement Form which I and the finance co. signed and a spreadsheet list of payments made, printed onto their own headed paper.