Does TUPE Apply In This Situation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5699 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for company A at their only premises, and after 3 years company A gets purchased by company B who have their own premises. The 2 sites are rebranded as 'Company B'.

After a couple of years, company B introduces a bonus scheme based on overall company performance. The bonus would be paid to each employee at the end of the calendar year.

Mid-way though the year, company B sells the business that is being run from the site I work at (what was company A) to company C.

Company C announces that as the bonus scheme was run by company B, the bonuses would be not be paid, although company C might introduce their own bonus scheme in the future.

During the transitions from company A, through B and now to C, I haven't (nor has anyone else) had a new contract and the general line that T&Cs remain as before has been used.

Is the removal of the potential bonus fair in this case, considering TUPE hasn't been used?

Is the removal of the potential bonus fair in this case, considering TUPE hasn't been used?

It is not really a question of '...was TUPE being used...', more one of, 'Does (or Did) TUPE apply?'

Thus, was the transfer from A to B a 'relevant transfer?(RT)?' Also was the subsequent transfer from B to C equally a 'relevant transfer?'

A 'RT' occurs when there is a transfer of some business activity from one legal person to another, and that which is transfered is an economic entity which retains identity, or there is a service provision change.

My fingers are too lazy to attempt to define, and differentiate, the two definitions. But:

If either applied to the transfer(s) you have been subject to, then your T&C's of employment, including any bonus scheme, transfer along with you.

Thus, if the trasnfer from B to C in your example, were, a RT, you would be within your rights to demand that your T & C's of employment (including the bonus scheme), transfer along with you.

Personally, I would put the argument that this was a RT, informally, to your employer first. Thus, you are entirled to the bonus.

Then see what their response is.

Edited by elche

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]