• Tweets

• What type of finance is it?   HP, PCP, Loan? They want her to ring so they can bully her into making payments she can't afford...unless she can record her calls then IMHO, I'd keep everything in writing. Is £400 SSP her only income? There's no chance they will justify taking half of that.   Lodge a formal complaint with them ASAP, exhaust it, and then you can escalate it sooner rather than later, ruddy sharks!  
    • Is all of this actually on the signage? Don't remember seeing that much detail on other threads.
    • If I have learnt one thing from this forum, it's not to call and communicate via email. I passed this info on to her and they are pushing for her to call them.    "Unfortunately, you will need to call us. The conversation won’t be so black and white as to therefore type over email. In a nutshell we can confirm that the request to not pay for 3 months we cannot put in place"  I emailed them back on her behalf and said that what ever is discussed over the phone will need to be put in an email so that she can review it properly. No decisions will be made on that phone call.    "Once we speak to you on the phone we will follow up with an email to confirm the options discussed. [Phone number]"   Why are they pushing for a phone call? If its not so black and white, why can they then follow up with an email?  
    • Appreciate input Andy, updated: IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;     I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim.   1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. The Defendant has not entered any contract with the Claimant. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 21/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Claimant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of the Defendant by purchasing bulk debt at a greatly reduced cost and subrogating for the original creditor in trying to recuperate the full amount of the original debt 12. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • Morning,  I am hoping someone can help, I am posting on behalf of my friend so I will try and provide as much info as possible.  Due health reasons, she is currently not working and unable to pay her contractual car finance payments. She emailed 247 Money and asked for a 3 month payment holiday, they refused this straight away with no reasons as to why. They have told her that instead she can make a payment of £200. She is currently getting £400+ a month ssp so this is not acceptable. She went back to them and explained she cannot make this payment and they have not offered an alternative plan. Its £200 or she falls into default.  She is now panicking as she does not want her car to be taken away. What options does she have?  Thank you, 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mal v Lloyds

Mal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have had nothing but trouble from Lloyds over the years and after a particularly bad stint I moved over to NatWest but left an overdraft on the Lloyds account. I have agreed with Lloyds to reduce it by £x amount each month They have said they will stop anymore charges going on to it and are reducing the overdraft limit each month by the amount I pay have agreed to pay in.

Guess what! When they reduce the overdraft they send me a letter to tell me that I am over my overdraft and charge me for it even though I am not using the account, it does say that they have been very nice and made all my payments? (I don’t have any) my overdraft is increasing instead of going down!

The Incompetence that the bank has shown over the years beggars belief. They once charged me over £900 in one month for a problem they caused by removing my overdraft without warning 3 months early and it took me over a year to get it back as a ‘goodwill’ gesture

The last time I spoke to someone they even said that looking at our ‘file’ I shows there have been mistakes made!

As I have moved away it is quite fun talking to them as they don’t seen to know how to deal with anyone they can’t threaten by saying they will take away cheque book and cheque cards etc etc

I am sure that when I work it out the amount they have charged me over the years will more that cover the my overdraft.

I have just sent a DPA letter so watch this space

Mal :twisted:

Lloyds, DPA Letter issued 9/3/06

Lloyds, Preliminary approach letter issued 11/4/06

Posted DPA letter on the 9th and had not got any feedback so e-mailed a copy

got the standard reply

Thank you for the e-mail.

I acknowledge your request for copies of statements/charge transactions on your account since 8th February 2000.

Your e-mail has been passed on to the Manager of the Service Recovery Unit and I have asked that he notes your requests and arranges for a response to be sent to you at the earliest opportunity.

Regards

Keith Boden

Lloyds TSB - Service Recovery

Birmingham

Bring it on :twisted:

That last bit was not on the reply

Mal

I have just had a very odd conversation with Lloyds. They sent me a letter today saying that they are giving me notice on withdrawing my overdraft! I phoned them up and the bent over backwards!! The friendliest and accommodating they had EVER been. Had they been in to room I think they would have been bowing!! ‘We will freze all the interest’, “We will credit charges (as a goodwill gesture)” , “I will put everything in writing” , “Very sorry!” , “ If you want to take this further I can give you the number!!!!!!”

Amazing what a bit of bad publicity and no doubt a note on my account can have

They have not seen anything yet :D

Mal

Just done a quick tally with online banking in the last 2 years £2694!!! no wonder I have no money

Mal

Hi, just wanted to share a classic Lloyds TSB scenario. I went slighly over my limit - they bounced DD's - before I know it I have £90 of charges. I'm over my limit (caused by them) they bounce more DDs before I can cancel them. £270 later, they put me through to lovely "we ripped off the customers with charges - now we'll be nice to them" dept. They agree to a new OD limit reducing by £50 per month to pay off THEIR costs.

I do as agreed - reducing by £50 per month over 6 months. My agreed limit is £400. I pay off £50 til I get back to the £400 limit. But mistakenly the take the last payment of the WRONG amount which takes me to £370.00OD. I have carefully managed the account not to go over £400 - but they now charge me cos I'm over their new £370 unagreed limit.

What a pile of muppets. It tool 4 calls to India and beyond to get someone to admit they were wrong and refund the charge.

I really do have better things to do with my time.

Glad I have £2500 case aginst them. Cant wait to recover every single penny.

As we all seem to be getting standard responses to our requests even though some of our requests are different. Is this yet more evidence in our favor that all 99% of communication is automated etc?

Mal

Yes

I got a letter from Lloyds today, I had not sent £10 as reading the post it looked like Lloyds waived the fee... All has changed

Reference Number: 1XX

Dear Mr Mal

Copy Statement Unit Account Services Group Operations

Swallow House

PO Box 139

10, Swallow Street

Birmingham

B12AL

Telephone: 08450707124

Facsimile: 08450707107

Your request for information under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Thank you for contacting Lloyds TSB Bank pIc to request transaction listings and details of events requiring manual intervention.

We will be pleased to provide this information on your account. If you require information on any other products or services (e.g. from Lloyds TSB General Insurance or other Lloyds TSB Group companies) please let us know.

As permitted by the Data Protection Act, the fee for providing personal information is £10. I would be grateful if you could please sign and return the enclosed copy of this letter in the prepaid envelope I've provided as your authority to debit your account with the fee or alternatively send us the appropriate amount by cheque. We require a cheque made payable to Lloyds TSB Bank pIc - please don't send cash.

Under the Act we are allowed up to forty days to fulfil your request starting from the receipt of the fee.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Brown

Copy Statement Unit

Mr Brown your cheque is in the post

What I found interesting was the reference number in the Hundreds!

Well another 40 Days but I am in no rush :twisted:

Mal

I had that exact same letter. I also emailed them a few days back with a copy of the DPA request. They e-mailed me back with the following:

Dear Mr Intersimi

Thank you for your e-mail's dated 19 March 2006 and 23 March 2006.

Unfortunately I am unable to add any further information to Mandy Horton's letter dated 10 March 2006 and can only refer you to the terms and conditions of your account. However, I respect that you have your own opinion about our charges.

Regarding your request for details of charges on your account since March 2000, I can advise that I am prepared to accept your request under the Data Protection Act. However I should point out that there is normally a £10 fee for information requested under Data Protection, although I am prepared to waive this on this occasion. I have asked for copy statements to be produced for the period in question, which will highlight the charges you have referred to and I will send these to you within the next three weeks, which I trust will be acceptable.

This letter is the bank's final response, which means that if you remain dissatisfied you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If you decide to pursue your complaint through the Financial Ombudsman Service you must do so within 6 months from the date of this letter. I have attached a leaflet, which outlines how to contact them.

Yours sincerely

David Just

Assistant Manager

regards,

InterSimi

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had my DPA Request back. All broken open and in Pst office sorry bags.... On examination the first entry from the customer notes says……….

MO STDLET

First Class Central Automatically Generated

Have Lloyds just shot themselves in the foot?

Then lots and lots of STDLET

Mal

The damaged package is becoming a regular occurance, and has been discussed elsewhere.

On the other issue it looks as though they have admitted that they have not manually done anything with those transactions - useful stuff, if they are daft enough to defend.

Hi!

Got mine back today...

full of STDLET

Only four cases of manual intervention since the account was opened in 1997..

1. returned bank charges in 1999 - £75

2. messed up traveller cheques refund

3. DPA req recvd

4. DPA chase and chq recvd.

All the other 10 pages were full of STDLET or similar!

I calculate that at approx 30p postage, less than 1 pence per sheet of paper and less than 1 pence for the ink, say 2 pence for computer programme time... thats a hell of a lot less than £20-£30 charge!!!!

LOULA

My First approach letter went off today for just over £3500

The game is afoot

Mal

I have been working on a spreadsheet to work out the interest that the bank have charged us on the money they have taken from us and would like to run the thinking by somone

This is my thinking

for each charge also put on the sheet you ballance at that date if in OD

if the OD Ballance is more the the charges so far work out the interest cost on the charges so far. If the OD Ballance is less the the charges so far workout the interest cost on the OD

I know this is by no means perfect but I can't see any other way of working it out

Mal

Hi,

Not quite sure what you are getting at here. Are you trying to calculate the interest that you think the bank should have paid you on the money it took? If so, then you cannot realistically claim this until the claim goes to court...

However, if your statements have 'Interest Charges' as an item, then, whilst the bank is entitled to charge interest on an overdraft, unless it gives a breakdown it is next to impossible to calculate what interest the bank is entitled to.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yep it's the interest that we have been charge by the banks I am trying to work out. And yes it's impossible to work out. But I think my aproach will show that you have done your best to work it out if/when it goes in front o a Judge. And it's just as impossible for the banks to work it out and say no it's not

Mal

MODERATED post moved ... please stick to your original thread this is for everyones benefit.

The simplest solution is to put the interest charge claimed by the bank on your claim. If they wish to dispute this, and are able to demonstrate the proportionate interest payments, assuming that you agree with them then claim for the banks figure...that would look really good to a judge.

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Go a response to my first letter

guess what

Dear Mr Mal

Thank you for contacting us about your complaint. We are sorry that you feel we've let you down.

Weare looking into the issues you have raised and hope to give you a full response within the next 10 days.

You have our assurance that we will do our best to resolve your complaint. If you're not happy with our response for any reason, we have enclosed a copy of our leaflet 'How to voice your concerns' which gives you details about what to do next.

If you need to get in touch with us in the meantime, please use the address and telephone number at the top of this letter. When calling, please ask for Service Recovery Centre Manager at Colmore Row Birmingham.

Once again, thank you for raising this concern with us.

I guess they know that the 'How to voice your concerns' leaflet would be ignored because they didn't send one :) (maybe they have run out ;) )

Mal

Got a response to my first request today and guess what.....They said no :( not onlythat but they said no with a standard letter

Re: Account Charges for Overdraft Excesses and Returned Items

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about your account.

I understand that

• You feel that the charges you have incurred are unlawful.

• You are unhappy with the amount of charges you have incurred as a result of being overdrawn and from returned items .

• You have requested that all charges incurred should be refunded for the past 6 years.

When you become a customer, we give you details of any charges for the day to day running of your account. Details of our charges are also available from our branch staff, telephone helpline or our website.

For the vast majority of our customers banking with us can be completely free as charges are not made for services such as debit cards, cash machine withdrawals, balance requests, statements, cheque books and Internet banking. We also do not charge for processing Direct Debits and Standing Orders when they are paid through our customers' accounts.

One of the few services we apply charges for are when a customer does not have enough money in their account to meet payments they have requested us to make. If customers think they may exceed any limit they have, we urge them to contact us to discuss their requirements. Any requests for further lending are then assessed in line with our usual credit policy. Similarly, when we return an item, we are preventing a customer from exceeding their limit, and again as we explain clearly to our customers, this process incurs a charge

Typically, we do not levy customers an excess overdraft fee the first time they go overdrawn without agreement, as long as it hasn't happened in the past twelve months and we limit excess fees to a maximum of three occurrences in anyone month.

As a business we are entitled to set charges to cover additional work. These charges are not hidden and are notified in the guide to banking charges leaflet we produce. We advise our customers to ensure cleared funds are available in their accounts to meet payments due. You will also note that in the front of each cheque book we request that funds are available before cheques are issued.

You incurred charges because you did not ensure funds were available in your account to cover the payments set up by you. It is your responsibility to operate your account within any agreed limits and within the terms and conditions.

You accepted these terms when you opened your account and when you agreed your overdraft. We did not agree to pay your account in excess of the amount agreed without charges being made.

Accordingly, I am unable to agree with your request to refund the charges. We do expect your account to be run in line with the terms and conditions of its operation. This means that you must ensure that cleared funds are deposited into the account the working day before any payments are due. If you do not feel you will be able to run your account in accordance with the terms -and conditions, we may have to consider withdrawing certain facilities, such as any debit cards, overdrafts and chequebooks. Alternatively, you may wish to consider alternative banking arrangements.

In case you haven't received a copy of our leaflet called 'How to voice your concerns' I've enclosed one with my letter. This tells you all you need to know about resolving your complaint with us.

If you are unhappy with my decision and feel that you have something to add which might change the outcome, please get in touch. If we cannot agree on a solution at that point, I will help you refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service for independent arbitration.

One thing I did notice is this bit

You incurred charges because you did not ensure funds were available in your account to cover the payments set up by you.

does that mean that they don't charge when it's charges pushing me over the edge? i don't think so!

Anyway

Seconds away...... Round two!

Mal

I have just got my first no letter and I thought it may be it bit of fun to see how standard all our 'personal' letters our so if any of us have scanners with OCR software lets word cound the main body of the text and see it we are all getting the same old fob offs (as we know we are)

I know they are all automatic because had they spent more than 3 seconds looking at my account they would know that the threat of 'taking their ball home' is a bit hollow as I have taken all thier balls into the branch and shoved them some time ago

my first 'No' letter had 629 Words / 2981 Characters

so thats my first bid 629 Words

Mal

Hi Mal,

Don't have an OCR.

How about you scanning it in, then copying on here and creating a poll!!!

Then we can vote as to whether this is a standard reply or not.

My three letters are all the same and each paragraph starts...

P1. Thank you

I understand

you feel

you are

you have

P2. When You

P3. For the vast

P4. One of

P5. Typically

P6. As a business

P7. You incurred charges

P8. You accepted

P9. Accordingly

P10 In case

P11 If you are unhappy

Does that look like yours???????

LOULA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks