style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi geministar.

The clerk will check your forms after first asking if you have had the relevent / proper advice and then put them in front of the District Judge who then looks them over.

As long as they are fully completed, your circumtances explained and it is a straight forward consumer bankruptcy 'so to speak' then the Judge will not normally ask to see you. Having said this there are no guarantees as in my opinion some judges pick out a very small percentage of cases at random to see anyway.

Some examples of when a judge may ask to see you are -

* if your overall debts are relatively small in terms of bankruptcy say under £6000 to check / explore that you understand what you are doing.

* explore if other options may be more suitable and that they have been explained to you.

* housing issues if you are a homeowner to make sure you are aware of and understand any possible implications

If the judge does ask to see you there is no need to worry as they are polite, extremely professional and have your interests at heart with the crux of the story here being get proper advice and make sure your forms are fully completed and you will be ok.

Good luck.

Actually it appears the procedure varies from court to court. From the posts above the petitioner does not appear before a judge. In my local court the petitioner does.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

It will be in the public notices.

Your entry (probably one of several in a long advert) will contain your name, address, occupation and date of BR. There might be several addresses if you have moved in the last couple of years. If you have been a sole trader then it will have the 'trading as' bit as well.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Can I ask where these public notices are published?

This may seem a daft question, but how can you find out if one of your creditors has petitioned for your bankruptcy or if you have already been made bankrupt? I'm not sure if either of those are even possible, but I ask as I live overseas and I have no idea what my creditors are up to.

Edited by Darkness falls

I know they are publised in the local paper to the court.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

It would appear that there is an online search available here for individuals already made bankrupt:- Individual Insolvency Register - Home

I'd still be interested to know if it's possible to check if someone is being petitioned for bankruptcy though.

Interesting what you say pompeyfaith about being published in the local newspaper, I can't honestly say that I have ever noticed any!

Well I'm going by my local newspaper for the Portsmouth area Bankruptcy's are listed in there on a Thursday

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

has anyone manage to open a basic barclays account? When you owe money to them before you went bankrupt. Also what is the deal with the Post Office can you pay direct debits or anything?

I opened a basic co op account however i would still feel better opening an account with a branch i can actually go into if i ever need to. Co op is 50 miles from me!

have you tried barclays cashcard account ? as an undischarged Br there is only 2 bank accepting undioscharged Br the co-op and Barclays.

i am with barclays and i have no problem so far ..finger crossed that it continues this way lol

Does everyone that goes BR have a nil tax code?

The way the offical receiver spoke to me it sounded like this would not apply to me.

She said as i'm not due back at work till mid feb and the nil code would only apply until the beginning of the new tax year, there would seem little point. My surplus was 55 a month and the tax i was paying varied but was an average of £40 odd a month. Perhaps she was getting at the fact that if i had a nil tax code the OR would receive a total of around £60-£70, for a 6 week period.

Does this mean i will have the same tax code when i return to work?

Anyone shed any light on this? Or has experienced the same thing when going Br at the end of the tax year.

Thanks again :)