Hello to all and in with 1st question

picklefactory
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks, new to this forum, so hope I'm in the right place.

OK, I have a friend (No really!!), but not a forum person, hence me doing typing/asking etc. (I'm in loads of these).

She is Polish migrant who has been here 3 years now, she has been working in the same dead end job since she arrived (Hotel work, minimum wage, long hours, no pay for extra hours etc etc), so certainly no work dodger as she has not missed a day in 3 years (Apologies if that is an unneccessary statement, but occassionally people make assumptions when someone quits, so just trying to be clear). She has finally had enough of the intimidatory management style and being treated like a slave and quit with the intention of retraining (1 year Level 2 NVQ course in Admin), to hopefully find a decent job. Problem is, she has now made herself unemployed and whilst she has enough savings to just about cover the college course (£900), she will struggle to live as the course is 2 days at college and 2 days on placement with no pay. Are there any options open to her to get any sort of financial help or benefits? Job centre basically told her to get lost, is there anything she can do?

Thanks

She may be entitled to Adult Learning Grant, up to £30 per week during term-time for up to two years. She needs to ask at the College to apply.

As an aside, can't she take a part-time job for one/two days a week?

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)

Oops sorry, forgot to clarify that. Yes she fully intends to find part time work, but as yet, she hasn't been told the hours and days required to attend college (Only enrolled today). Once she has that info, she knows what time she has spare to find work.

£30 per week? I think she will struggle with rent/council tax etc. Doesn't seem to be much help with trying to better yourself in this country. Makes me feel very lucky to be middle aged, and in secure job, not young and trying to get a start.

Thanks for the advice, I'll help her check that out.

Only in very limited circumstances would HB be payable whilst she is a full-time student. Basically this is limited to disabled people (in receipt of DLA) and lone parents.

She needs to make arrangements with the landlord regarding the Council Tax. Depending on the terms of her lease, she may be contractually bound to contribute to CT, even though she would not have statutory liability.

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)

I don't know if placements count (hope they do) but you have to be at college for 15 hours a week to become a full-time student. I would suggest your friend visits her local council (do they have neighbourhood offices in your part of the world) for advice on what she is entitled too. The college should also be able to offer advice. If she is a full-time student than she can apply for an exemption certificate which will help with the council tax. All the best to her - I hope it works out well. It may also be that she will be able to claim IS come the summer holidays if she has no other form of income.

By the way if she ends up getting paid at her placement that would not be regarded as income (by B'ham city council I know for a fact - but surely this will apply to all councils) as it is a condition of her college course that she gains experience and the college have placed her.

If the course is less than 15 hours per week she may be able to claim jsa. I just don't know if that applies to 'foreigners'. Certainly be better off than the EMA if that is the case.

Edited by sallysas
addition

Thanks Sallysas

I think the course is over 15 hrs, without placement, so full time student, but due to no income, enrolment officer sort of suggested non commitally, that she maybe might not need to mention the placement, and might just qualify for jsa. I hope the 'foreigner' thing isn't an issue, she has been paying tax and NI since she came here 3 years ago, so she is fully paid up.

She hasn't tried neighbourhood office yet, only job centre (Which is right next to it, coincidentally), I'll ask her to pop in there today. Thanks again for advice.