Cobot Want Money - Not my Parents Debt Though

babynan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:mad:

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me please,

A couple of years ago my parents recieved a few letters from Cabot demanding payment for an outstanding debt which was a few thousand pounds. Once my parents told me about this, I phoned the company and informed then that my parents knew nothing about the debt and told them not to harress them anymore as they are both elderly and this was bad for their health etc. That was back in 2005. the never heard anything further. They only moved to taht address in 2002.

Now my mother has just been on the phone to me it seems that my father has receieved another letter this week, demanding over £4000 (my father has never, ever bought anything on credit, he will not even get a credit card, at the bottom of the letter a contact number is provided to call if ' you are not the person named' my Mum has tried calling this a couple of times but she just gets cut off..........

The letter states that they have until 12 noon on the 2nd Sept to pay the debt up in full. My father called another number shown on the letter to explain that he knows nothing about this debt, ( yes ,the name and address used on the letter is my fathers but his middle intials are not being shown and my dad always signs everything using all his intials) but the woman on the phone just got nasty with him and then he hung up.:eek:

Both my parents are very upset over this, they are both elderly in there late 70's and on top of this my father has had two major operations over the last 5 months for cancer.... this sort of harrassment is not helping him at all, what can/should they do now, as I say they now only have a couple of days left before they MUST pay up........

My parents have always struggled but they would never buy anything on credit, could anyone please help me to help them with this matter.

Hi, babynan.

These people are unbelievable, you could try sending them the 'prove it' letter, see what they come back with.

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

**Edit to suit**

Remember, don’t sign the letter.

There's also a letter you could send them, regarding the phone calls.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/37006-harassment-telephone-response-letter.html

Regards.

Scott.

• Haha 1
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Maroondevo52,

Thanks so much for your quick response, I will use this letter and get it sent to the company first thing tomorrow morning. I will keep the post updated with any further developments, hopefully after this they will leave my parents alone, and track down the correct debtor.

Cheers:D

No problem, they think they are a law unto themselves :rolleyes:

Good luck with that.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Don't forget to send it special delivery, so they can't ever deny they got it.

Hope your parents are okay.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

And good luck from me too, not that you need luck because you are in the right. Best advice is don't talk to these idiots on the 'phone - they are deliberately nasty and aggressive. Just tell them politely and firmly that you will only deal with this in writing.

Regards.

Fred

Edited by Fred Bassett

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

A BIG BIG Thanks to everybody for all of their help and encourgement, I will let you know how things go.

Yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed for Dad, he had major Bowel surgery in March and 2 weeks ago he had Liver Surgery, so far he seems to be recovering well from the operations, just praying that he will now stay with us for longer than expected.

Once again mnay thanks:D