Dca Of The Year Awards 2008

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5742 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does the DCA industry need to get out a litte more?  

4 Caggers have voted

1. 1. Does the DCA industry need to get out a litte more?

23 October 2008, 7pm

The Chesford Grange, Warwickshire

After the success of last year's lavish event, the Debt Collection Agency (DCA) of the Year awards are back to celebrate best practice in the debt collection market. Hosted by the fabulous Chris Barrie (ex Red Dwarf and popular past host of the Credit Today Awards), the stage is set to recognise the achievements of the best performers in this often maligned sector. Awards will be given out in five categories covering from DCAs, to debt buyers and tracing firms.

You have to laugh. [edited]! How wonderful if the event could be picketed! Alas not worth the bus fare to Warwickshire.

Edited by jonni2bad

23 October 2008, 7pm

The Chesford Grange, Warwickshire

After the success of last year's lavish event, the Debt Collection Agency (DCA) of the Year awards are back to celebrate best practice in the debt collection market. Hosted by the fabulous Chris Barrie (ex Red Dwarf and popular past host of the Credit Today Awards), the stage is set to recognise the achievements of the best performers in this often maligned sector. Awards will be given out in five categories covering from DCAs, to debt buyers and tracing firms.

You have to laugh. [edited] How wonderful if the event could be picketed! Alas not worth the bus fare to Warwickshire.

Well last year's award was hosted by Lenny Henry and many of us wrote to him to complain. I think I'll do the same for Chris Barrie - point out some of the more nasty practices that they engage in. If enough people do the same, maybe (unlikely but possible) he might be shamed into pulling out.

Regards.

Fred

Edited by jonni2bad
Quoted text only

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Well last year's award was hosted by Lenny Henry and many of us wrote to him to complain. I think I'll do the same for Chris Barrie - point out some of the more nasty practices that they engage in. If enough people do the same, maybe (unlikely but possible) he might be shamed into pulling out.

Worth a try Fred.

I think most people, (that have not been in debt), really have no conception of what OC's & DCA's do and the stunts they pull to make a buck.

Hi,

I've just found the advertising brouchure for this event.

http://www.credittoday.co.uk/filestore/conferences/Final%20Email%20Version%202%20Brochure.pdf

It is well worth reading! I think there is a blatant conflict of interests for the Director of Consumer Credit from the OFT to be there, probably at the expense of the DCAs he is supposed to regulate! Looking at the outline of his talk I don't think hes there to tell them all to put their house in order. Looking at the list of other speakers and last years winners, he will be mixing a lot of names that constantly appear on CAG.

I think Mr. Watson is compromising his status, which I believe should be neutral.

That said I could take him down my local, buy him a few drinks and a kebab and he could crash on our sofa. He could then give me the lowdown on the best way to get around that annoying Consumer Credit Act!

Pookey

I'm in the DCA kicking business ..........and business is good!!!!

CAG have organised member meets, why not a conference and invite the OFT's Director of Consumer Credit to address the meeting and then take questions from the floor. As a self-help group this forum has been a major driving force in stopping debt collectors acting with impunity. Is is not now time to drive the campaign further and become a real pressure group, lobbying Parliament for fundamental changes in the way debt collectors operate?

• Haha 1

That said I could take him down my local, buy him a few drinks and a kebab and he could crash on our sofa. He could then give me the lowdown on the best way to get around that annoying Consumer Credit Act!

Get him more than a few drinks and ask him who the 13 are and is he on first name terms with them.

Actually I think the OFT's Director of Consumer Credit attendance really is a conflict of interest, not least because of the OFT's abject failure to properly regulate the sector. There's a world of difference between attendance at meetings at which relevant subjects are discussed, and blatant junketing at the invitation of what is actually a lobbying group (vide Credit Today's current rather flaccid campaign to continue DCAs being allowed to buy electoral register data). If his attendance is being funded by public money that's bad; if Cretin Today is paying that's worse.

No doubt the Director of the Serious Fraud Office will be going to BAe's annual dinner...

That the the OFT's man has apparently failed to notice this is worrying, and should be brought to the attention of his political masters. This may be done by writing to your constituency MP, and asking him to ask the apropriate Minister to explain and/or take action.

Still, however glossy the event, whichever passé 'star' Cretin Today gets to present it, and no matter how hard the DCAs try to draw a veil of respectability over their industry, the fundamental truth remains - you can't polish a turd.

Regards.

Fred

dont suppose you got a reply?

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

That the the OFT's man has apparently failed to notice this is worrying, and should be brought to the attention of his political masters. This may be done by writing to your constituency MP, and asking him to ask the apropriate Minister to explain and/or take action.

Very.

Would a gamekeeper attend the poachers' annual bash?

Edited by cashins
Punctuation

Hi,

I've just found the advertising brouchure for this event.

http://www.credittoday.co.uk/filestore/conferences/Final%20Email%20Version%202%20Brochure.pdf

It is well worth reading! I think there is a blatant conflict of interests for the Director of Consumer Credit from the OFT to be there, probably at the expense of the DCAs he is supposed to regulate! Looking at the outline of his talk I don't think hes there to tell them all to put their house in order. Looking at the list of other speakers and last years winners, he will be mixing a lot of names that constantly appear on CAG.

I think Mr. Watson is compromising his status, which I believe should be neutral.

Pookey

I think that half an hour of fuzzybobble and his bumble bees would make him see sense.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

dont suppose you got a reply?

How did you guess? I even had to join his fan club to do it!

Regards.

Fred

Hi all,

I emailed my MP yesterday and recieved a reply today saying that he is going to write to the appropriate Minister and will send me a copy.

If you have time email your MP the more the merrier!

Pookey

CAG have organised member meets, why not a conference and invite the OFT's Director of Consumer Credit to address the meeting and then take questions from the floor. As a self-help group this forum has been a major driving force in stopping debt collectors acting with impunity. Is is not now time to drive the campaign further and become a real pressure group, lobbying Parliament for fundamental changes in the way debt collectors operate?

What a great idea, organise a CAG pressure group - forum access by approval only (and minimum of 50 posts on the forums or something to eliminate the DCA registering, just to get access) This is where email/letter campaigns could be devised to highlight some of the awful practices of these firms!

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

It would be great to go that - the only problem is I don't think HFO will be there as they probably couldn't afford the entry fee, and that is one company I would like to meet someone from face to face and see how bold they are in a face to face situation

It would be great to go that - the only problem is I don't think HFO will be there as they probably couldn't afford the entry fee, and that is one company I would like to meet someone from face to face and see how bold they are in a face to face situation

Couldn't you just pay them something to allow them to go!

Regards.

Fred

I've knocked them up a new logo, I wonder if they'll use it:

dcas.jpg

Regards.

Fred

• Haha 1

I am rather glad that I seem to have actually contributed something to the group!

Fred - When I wrote the word w a n k e r s it was edited out. Does this mean that profanity by visual representation is allowed?

Pookey Monkey - I too would like to ask my MP about OFT attendance at this event. So knackered by the job searching, T minus 15 days and counting to my termination, that it would help if you could paste your e-mail here.

Ta very

DFC

Hi Dashforcash,

here is a copy of the email sent to my MP, obviously minus my name and address. You can find your local MPs contact details and email address here TheyWorkForYou.com: Are your MPs and Peers working for you in the UK's Parliament?

Good luck,

Pookey

Dear Mr *******

as a constituent I feel I must contact you regarding what I believe to be a serious conflict of interest by a senior member of the Office of Fair Trading.

Recently I came across a brochure advertising the Collections and Debt Sale & Purchase Conference, which incorporates the Debt Collection Agency of the Year Awards 2008.

I was surprised and needless to say shocked to find that Mr Ray Watson, Director of Consumer Credit at the Office of Fair Trading is attending this event, and in fact participating.I believe the conflict of interests is caused by the fact that Mr. Watson will be receiving hospitality amongst the very people that his organisation regulates, and deals with consumer complaints against.

I would be very grateful if you would be able to ask the relevant Minister if he could give assurances as to the nature of Mr. Watson's attendance at this conference, whether this is being funded by the conference organisers, if any other members of the Office of Fair Trading will be in attendance to witness Mr Watson's presentation and any subsequent question and answer session and if a transcript of his presentation is available.

I understand that the Office of Fair Trading needs to engage with the Debt Collection industry, but I believe that the best way to preserve impartiality is for this to be achieved using formal minuted meetings.

May I take this opportunity to thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Kind regards,