• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help - Underground Fare Evasion at Magistrate Court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HELP! I had been taking steroids to help with my illness and these caused numerous side effects. I had not been out for nearly 6 weeks when I went out to celebrate it. I knew I was going to be late as I had been sleeping for most of the day and didn't think so I just grabbed my mother's freedom Oyster card. An inspector stopped me at the entrance and asked questions. In my state of mind and being impatient to be there on time I just said 'yes' to his questions even though one or two of them weren't correct. My solicitor and even my doctor to wrote to them to explain the side effects I had due to the medication but they still issued me with a summon. My doctor wrote another letter to see if they could settle out of court but they seemed to ignore it so now I have to attend the hearing next Monday. I need to enter my plea. Can anyone suggest what I should do. Does it mean I get a criminal record if I plead guilty (with mitigating circumstances) or should I not plea guilty and get my solicitor to argue it? I cannot afford a criminal record with my work in education.

If you have medical grounds to mitigate this, and you can submit evidence to the court for this, then with the advice of your solicitor I would plead not guilty. Dont know if you can get a jury trial for this, but that is the way to go I think. Again check with your solicitor. Are you elligable for legal aid or whatever they call it now.

Does it have to go to trial with a jury if I plea not guilty? Thought you just go back to the same court. Don't get legal aid. All I want to do is to show that it was due to the medications I was taking at the time. Can get doctor's letters to show. Would they take that into consideration when deciding if I plea guilty? What I don't want is to have a criminal record which would result in losing my job or having to declare it for the next job.

No, will be heard by Magistrate initially.

If you plead guilty, even with mitigation, you will automatically get a record, even if they give you an absolute or conditional discharge!

The only possible way to avoid that now is to plead NOT guilty, and get a slocitor or even a barrister, which will cost a lot. Hence I said about getting Legal aid. Magistrates on the whole apply the law and only reduce the sentence due to circumstances not let people of. Now jurys are different, they can be swayed and are more likely to take into account the effect and otherwise you would not have done it etc.

Its up to you now, good luck.

Guest joe.inom

I mean like the world is a worst place to live now.This is like yeah we understand that you have been not taking the stuffs seriously , but just generally , but the jury wont understand this , i am sure.

No matter what your background is or what are you upto , you will be given off an criminal record.

Sorry for ya man.

Theey cant let you off if you plead guilty!

recorded for 11 years, its not like driving offences.

Speak to a solicitor about legal aid about the rules or look up on the net to see if you qualify, depends on income.

The solicitor who wrote the letter to TFL explaining my conditions and why they should not initiate court proceeding suggested I should try to go for absolute discharge which means that there are no record. Now should I take a solicitor along or just bring all the paperwork from the doctor, the hospital plus the letter from the solicitor to explain that my action was due to the medication myself?

Wrong if you plead guilty, its on your record that you have admitted to a crime. the court may well give you an absolute discharge; i.e. no further penalty which is usual in minor/first offences but it WILL be recorded as a guilty verdict and recorded as such. Defo get a solicitor, if you do not have one their will be one in court that you can speak to. You will be asked to enter a plea but may not be heard until another time. Let be clear if you plead guilty it will be recorded for eleven years.

You enter a plea at the hearing and it will either be dealt with on the day or a date for the hearing will be set in the future. At the future date you can change your plea if you wish. you can only change your plea from Not guilty to guilty. so if in doubt plead not guilty in the first instance.

These questions should be addressed to your solicitor at court.

If you have pleaded guilty by post you may not even have to attend, it will be dealt with in your absence. I pressume you put your mitigating circumstances on ther form. Are you required to go to court? You can still attend in person and in these circumstances change your plea in court to not guilty, but you would need to confirm that with the duty court solicitor. there is always one in the court to advise.

I signed the second box saying that I will attend so did not put any mitigating circumstances on the form. Was wondering whether I can just call up the court today to say I want to change my plea. Have read the threads and some said they didn't even get a duty court solicitor when requested, is that true? Have never been to court so don't know how it works

True the duty court solicitor may be busy on another case; suggest you get there early and try and make an appointment.

By all means phone the court to change the plea or at least notify them and see what they say. As you will be there they will ask you to vonfirm your plea anyway so you can change it then.

Thanks for that. Didn't realise this but went to the doctor this morning and spoke to him the case again. He will call TFL today to see if they can settle out of court but he also suggested I should contact my union. Having spoken to the legal firm linked to the union they will be sending either a solicitor or barrister to represent me in court on Monday. So hopefully they can advise in more details. So I say if you are in a union go to them first to see if they can help. Do you still think I should plea not guilty?