• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tawnyowl -slow acceleration to bankruptcy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4495 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No it wasn't a debt advisor, it was a TV presenter who, amongst other things, fronted a program on debt advice.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True just shows how things are going story beneath.

TELLY savings expert Lorne Spicer — famed for telling cash-strapped viewers how to stay out of the red — has gone BANKRUPT.

The Sun can reveal the Cash In The Attic host — who is also the BBC’s online credit crunch guru — went bust last month with debts believed to be in the “thousands”.

A pal said yesterday: “Everyone was shocked when they found out. It just goes to show the credit crunch can have disastrous effects for everyone — even people who know the system inside out.”

Last night mum-of-one Lorne, 43 — who also fronts telly shows Car Booty and Beat The Bailiff — was unavailable for comment.

Books

Her bankruptcy order was registered at Southend County Court in her married name Donovan.

As well as dishing out money-saving tips on TV, Lorne is a regular celebrity columnist in the press. She has written two books on making money from car boot sales.

Her advice to hard-up families on the BBC’s website is: “Make a budget and stick to it. Putting the numbers down on paper will show you just where all the money is going. Set a limit on how much you are going to spend — and stick to it.”

But last September Lorne hinted at money worries of her own as she launched an art and antiques gallery in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, where she lives.

Her aim was to raise cash for charity.

Advertisement

Lorne told how she had ploughed £5,000 into the venture, saying: “I really hope this all goes well because it’s my own money at stake.”

Last night her agent said she was “away filming” and did not want to comment.

• 3 months later...

Am now filling Debtors petition in-just wondering about possible shortfall and where to mention it.House was reppossessed 6 months ago.Just in case anyone has debts under 15000 and doesnt know about debt relief orders-bit of info.I am interested in insolvency law, policy changes & evaluation and consultations

Hya Tawny :)

Good to see you again, hope you are well.:)

When was filling in my Debtors petition, i was told to put it under list of secured

creditors,not that ive sent it in yet :rolleyes: :eek:hope this helps,

Tilly xx

If the house has gone then any shortfall is now unsecured.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

Due to the severe shortage of work i am thinking of signing on for unemployment.Having perhaps one weeks work a month i am now getting into arrears with rent and council tax i see no alternative-have been defeated.Havent been there before-at least not since computers came out.Am not looking forward to it but what choices do i have.Any ideas.Bankruptcy court fee would be granted then.MMM-what a situation.

Tawny

Just wondering when we went to court to get the bankruptcy papers the lady who came from the office said when you come back i will go through them.What happens then.The impression given was that when a judge had time he would authorise the bankruptcy-a kind of same day thing.Will be glad when this long stressfull- brain numbing-tiring depressing time is over.

Hello tilly just read your link again-good job i did.I had only made one copy online you need two.Thanks.Would have looked a right lemon.

Your Welcome :) let us know how you get on Tuesday, will be thinking of you, im sure you will be fine :)

Few things swirling around in the mists of my brain.

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently what should not be done at all".-mmm If you always do what you have always done, you will always have what you have already got"-hope not. There is never a perfect way.Only the best way until you find a better way"--ok

The only test of management, and it is a tough one, is success. But success comes more easily to those who study the world around them and are continually updating their craft, than to those who try to repeat a formula that once worked in the past" mmm-ill think about that.

"Nothing stops an organisation faster than people who believe that the way they worked yesterday is the best way to work tomorrow. To succeed not only do they have to change the way they act, they've got to change the way they think about the past"-and that. "The people who succeed in business do so not because of what they know but because of their insatiable need to know more."-never stop learning kind of thing,

"If you want your customers to talk about you - you’ve got to give them something to talk about"-how about bankruptcy. The hardest thing to understand in the world is income tax" - Albert Einstein-no comment.Please exscuse my ramblings-tommorows a big day-flapping a bit.To anyone in the depths of debt and bankruptcy i wish you well tawnyowl.

Hi tilly was just posting when i fell asleep-been up since your last post-you should be called tillyowl-you certainly are a night bird-post has vanished so i will write again.Two ticks.

Well walked up the steps to hell stopping to have a cig outside the county court.The floor was full of cigs probably due to the bin hanging of the wall.Through the door past the security guard sat on his chair and onwards to reception.Whispering to the receptionist that we had come to go bankrupt she announced in tones that would drown a jumbo jet engine that bankruptcys are through there.So onwards to the next office.mmm-this had reinforced glass between you and the office workers.We sat down and i then arranged the papers.Then a lady came through and went through them we had to swear on the bible that this was accurate-affadavat.Then the time came for the fee-well i didnt have all the info required so the fee was 1020.00.The court fee can be reclaimed at a future date-youve got 6 months to do this.It couldnt be done there and then-the hearing is on the 11th of may at 11am.Strange that i was repossessed on the 11thof the 11th at 11 am.We walked out of the building -glancing at my watch it was 11 mins to 11.Lottery no it wont be.I asked the lady how many people had gone bankrupt so far this year-300 so far .In one small town.In case you are wondering,reading my threads you will know i havent got any money-i managed to borrow it off a relative.I hope this is the last time i borrow.Iam lucky how many people would go bankrupt but havent got access to the fees.I also can show the hearing no to any baliffs that may turn up.Will see them off.Thanks for your interest tilly and hope you will manage it when the time is right.It isnt over yet-there may be twists and turns but the process has begun. Tawnyowl.

Well Tawny at least now you have started the process, your on way to passing the final hurdle, i can't bleieve they charged you extra sheeeesh :eek: number 11 seems to follow you, maybe it will be your lucky number one day,:) you should have asked the woman to say it a bit louder cos you couldn't hear her lol been following your thread for a year Tawny the ups and downs even the laughs in between, the last chapter will soon be closed hun.

Tilly xx

Can you give a breakdown of the amount you had to pay (court fee and OR's fee)?

It has obviously gone up recently.

Breakdown of the fee-court fee -150.00 OR fee 360.00-believe it went up 15.00 recently.As both me and the wife went for bankruptcy thats why the final bill was 1020.00.My wifes debts were much smaller than mine but due to shortfalll on house prob 30k plus didnt want a bill landing on mat in a few years when hopefully things have recovered.Surely you dont stay this low for long.Am at the bottom now.The hearing would have been on monday but due to being a bank holiday was put back.Keep up the good work Palomino-have read many of your posts.And thanks Tilly and everyone else who has advised and supported me through these difficult times.Gives me a bit of strength-kind of feeling of friendship.Cheers.Not over yet but ongoing.

It was a strange day shortly after coming out of court a earthquake hit the area.Certainly shook me up.At first i thought a banker had dropped his wallet till i checked.AN EARTHQUAKE has hit the Fylde Coast. Residents have reported a strong shaking, lasting around 10 seconds just before 11.30am. British Geological Survey bosses confirmed there had been a tremor which was believed to have registered 3.7 on the Richter scale.What next.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its the bankruptcy hearing tommorow and must admit feeling slightly nervous.As i understand it you go in front of a judge-not for the first time,and he may ask ,or not have you had advice which is yes,then he will stamp the papers allowing the bankruptcy.Then its off to the private room and wait for the phone to ring-bit like deal or no deal,bet waiting for the phone to ring is a joy.5 mins -half a hour or more you have to answer the phone.Ok ive got that the ORs assistant then asks-what- anybody got any revision papers.Does he or she go through the papers again or is it more.Is it gestapo like or gentle but probing.What do i need to take-is a double whisky reccomended or just my copy of petition.Appreciate anyones recent experience of this.One things for sure i will post tommorow in great detail what happened.

Well back up the concrete steps,was a bit early so stopped to have a cig before going in,the floor still covered in cigs-you guessed it bin still hanging off the wall.Through the door past the security guard sat on his chair and onwards to reception.Gave name and waited.Very busy but finally got asked to follow a very pleasent lady who on the way told us the judge had allready approved the petitions.Past through rooms full of files and finally entered a very pleasent office with nice views of the area.She told us after going through our name adresss postcode etc that the official receivers office would be phoning and we both would need to speak to them..Due to the fax machine breaking down -here we go i thought, she had to ring the OR office arrange the interview.Finally they rang up the lady went out of the room and i spoke to a lady.She went through the form quickly not probing explaining that they would be sending a bankruptcy pack with some forms to fill in and to send as much paperwork as they require-envelopes will be provided.And to go to the bank and tell them we are bankrupt and see if they will keep the account open.If not to ring my case worker immediatly.They also said they are so busy that its taking up to ten weeks to contact creditors so send each of them a copy of the bankruptcy order if they are pressurising in any way.Looking at my bankruptcy order i noticed the judge had allowed the bankruptcy at exactly 11am.So reppossesion at 11am on the 11th of the 11th-presented the petition on11am -bankrupt 11am on the 11th-wow.But am now finally BANKRUPT.

Hi Tawnyowl

I just clued into the tail-end of your thread. I, too, had dreaded facing the inevitable of bankruptcy - the shame, the stigma etc. But I can honestly say what a relief! Why didn't I do it sooner?

In my case, after having the petition filed at the High Court (I live outside the UK now), I've only had 2 contacts from the OR - the first being the telephone interview which went surprisingly well. It was not overly formal, didn't probe into everything and wasn't at all judgmental or uncomfortable.

Then I heard nothing until a couple of weeks ago (the time lapse between contacts was about 5 months - excruciating!) when the OR wrote asking me to complete an updated questionnaire to allow them to judge whether I am eligible for early discharge. They will be contacting my creditors to ask for any objections. Hopefully they'll be so swamped with other bankrupts and defaulters (who hopefully owe more than I do!) that they will not object.

I just now have to wait a few weeks to find out how that went. Hopefully then I will get the early discharge and be free.

It truly is like a weight lifting from your shoulders isn't it?