Cannot Get Free TV Licence for Over 75

hiphil
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

(I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, so mods please feel free to move it.)

Since November 2007 we have been trying to transfer our TV licence into my wife’s name as she turned 75 in December 2007.

We called the number on our TV licence, and gave them my wife's National Insurance (NI) number, and they said they would send us a free over 75 TV licence.

About a couple of weeks later they send a letter stating there was an error in the NI number, and could we please give it to them in writing.

A few weeks later, they wrote again and said there was still a problem, and asked for a copy of my wife's birth certificate and/or passport and/or marriage certificate. So we sent off copies of all three documents around about New Year 2008.

Then - nothing. So after about 6 weeks, we telephoned them again to find out what was happening.

They once again asked for my wife's NI number and said we would receive the licence in a couple of weeks. But some weeks later they again sent a letter stating there was a problem with my wife's NI number etc. So we again telephoned them and told them we had already sent the documents requested but they denied any knowledge of them.

A few weeks later, another letter saying they could not process the licence, and included dire warnings about using a TV set without a valid licence.

Again we telephoned them, and a few days later received a letter saying there was a problem with my wife's NI number, and asking for copies of birth & marriage certificates and/or passport. Once again, we sent copies of all three documents, this time by recorded delivery. This was about three weeks ago and once again we have heard nothing.

This has been going on for nearly nine months now, and we are wondering what to do next?

Hi Phil.

Ring your HMRC (tax office) and ask them to check your wifes NI number for you, that will remove any doubt at all about there being anything wrong with it.

All you need is that the NI corresponds with your wifes name.

Don't ring TVL again, just send in an application in your wifes name for the free licence.

You have a choice of returning the licence you have now for a refund on the remaining full months or letting it run the last couple of months and then not renew it. Whatever you do, do not respond to any letter or reminder that you need to renew the licence you have now.

Latest development, (after sending copies of my wife's birth certificate etc. by recorded delivery).

Received a letter from TV Licensing today, addressed to the occupier:

"Our database lists this address as unlicensed..." and going on to threaten dire consequences of using a TV set without a license.

Not only are they ignoring any letters we send them, they are also making out they do not know our names.

(I do in fact have a valid TV license, in my name.)

Is it time to contact our MP?

Apply for a refund, backdated to December. Its your money, not theirs, and you are entitled to it. BTW, they say they will only refund quarters, not months :mad:.

Let the jokers take you to court, then counterclaim for your refund and costs.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

Yes it is time to contact your MP, and explain the situation, I am sure they will only too pleased to help, as advised earlier don't bother telephoning them send an application in your wife's name for the free TV License.

You could consider writing to TV Licensing, Bristol BS98 1TL, explaining the situation, then asking for a copy of their complaints procedure.

Andy