Employment problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5760 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm new on here, mainly because I have a problem with my current employer and any advice would be useful!

I was employed in April on a short term (6 month) contract with the understanding that the contract may be extended at the end of the term. Last week, I had a meeting with my manager where she informed me that they would not be extending my contract, despite being happy with my work and how I fitted in with the company and team. She has in fact interviewed someone that she had previously come across who wasn't able to take the job earlier and employed them into the role I am in. Her reason for doing this being that he has a different background to mine, despite the fact that I have been working the role more than adequately for the last 4 months. SHe has also informed me that my contract was sent out with the incorrect termination info on which states that both parties have to give 3 months notice of termination on the contract, when she says it should have stated a months notice. She has told me that as a 'gesture of goodwill' she will honour that 3 months notice period and wants me to finish at the end of August instead of September.

My question is, that whilst I understand this was a short term contract, can she actually just end my contract without good reason, other than she's seen someone else and thinks they might be better? She has not even given me the opportunity to re-interview for the post. Consequently I'm feeling pretty hard done by!! Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Hello and Welcome, starryeygedrrrrrlll.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum, you'll get all the advice you need in there ;)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I was employed in April on a short term (6 month) contract with the understanding that the contract may be extended at the end of the term. Last week,

Hi there and welcome to this forum.

I'm afraid I'm not going to give you much optimistic advise though! It seems like you had a 6 month fixed term contract (FTC). The option to extend is interesting, but if this was just a verbal, 'maybe' then ain't worth much. If this was written down, then it may depend on the precise wording of the clause.

The arrival of the end date of a FTC terminates the contract and no further consequences flow at common law. However, you could have claim for breach of the Stat Dismissal Procedures if the actual ending of the contract was not done properly from a procedural perspective e.g. notice, meeting, appeal.

BUT this claim is not 'free standing', and would have to piggyback on some other reason for claiming Unfair Dismissal (UD). As you only had 6 months continuity of service, you cannot bring a UD claim unless you can bring a claim under one of the exemptions to this short service rule - too many to list now, but none sugessted on above facts but do check as a fixed term employee you were not treated ess favourably than a comparable permanent employee engaged in similar work.

You may get some more optimistic advice from another contributor, but that is my opinion on the above facts, and your best to get out there looking for a new job.

Edited by elche286

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]