Possible Refund advice needed please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought an LCD telly last November, from Time computers. It worked fine for three months or so, then started getting developing a fault where it wouldn't switch on from standby occasionally unless you switched it off & back on at the wall. I'd taken a stupidly cheap 3 year warranty out, so sent it off & got it back 15 days later, 5 days longer than their warranty guarantee said.

Worked fine for six months, then it's back again.

I bought it on 12 months interest free, & was planning on paying it off next month, but now I want a different telly cos my confidence is knocked in this one.

Where do I stand on getting a refund (even though technically I've not paid), cos I've had it so long?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt you have any. It has already been repaired, so the warranty will still cover you so I'd look to this as the best way of ensuring continuity of viewing. A refund from the dealer may be a possibility if they decide it was a dreadful product and agree for goodwill purposes to provide an in-store credit (never a refind at this late stage). This would not complicate matters unduly, as you are still required to complete the finance arrangement you entered into.

If it is the same fault you may have a chance of getting a replacement as their preferred option of a repair has failed. You would have to write and ask for one under Sale of Goods Act 1979. However, if it is a different fault then I'm afraid there would be no chance.

If it is the same fault you may have a chance of getting a replacement as their preferred option of a repair has failed. You would have to write and ask for one under Sale of Goods Act 1979. However, if it is a different fault then I'm afraid there would be no chance.

It is indeed the exact same fault.

What part of the sale of goods acts 1979 does it fall under? Just had a look at the act online & it's lengthy!

Thanks again.

It's quite feasible that the TV is not faulty.

The symptoms you describe (jamming in standby mode) is often caused by a "dirty" mains supply, caused by items such as a badly suppressed fridge pump, vacuum cleaner motor, central heating pump, or fluorescent strip light, or indeed sub-standard house wiring, and can be suffered by any microprocessor equipment.

Try fitting a mains filter / suppressor plug.

British Shoe Corporation - won :) BT - won :) West Lancs Council - lost :-x 02 - won :) British Airways - still fighting :o STOP PRESS - RSPCA - daughter won with letters I wrote :)

Do you use energy saving bulbs or tubes? These wreak havoc with the IR signals from remote controls.

Really? Oh my!:o

I wonder if thats why my TV switches from widescreen to fullscreen or zoom or whatever by itself?

It's a massive unreported problem. Users with the Virgin V+ (the TV Drive that was) uses a part of the band that is bang in the middle of the IR spectrum used by domestic flourescents. Put this behind a glass door and the remotes cease to work, or the device does as you describe with nothing touching the remote.

The test it to turn off the energy saving lighting and try the original remote. If it works as it should, then that's the problem. The permanent solution is to switch from flourescent to LED-based lighting as the problem disappears with this.