Debt following death.

nuthatch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry to hear of your loss.

As Priority one says Cabot and Robinson Way are debt collectors and are probably collecting on behalf of somebody you may already be paying. Send them the Letter N above and see what they come back with.

Remember DO NOT SIGN the letter, put a squiggle and see if they 'copy' it onto an agreement.

Just post back here if you have any questions or queries.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuthatch, it must be difficult going through what you are on your won - but you have this site behind you and all our varied experiences...

The worse we had was when my gran died, she was in sheltered accommodation (own flat but warden controlled) and the warden was really great - all her bills had been paid the day before she died and we had a week to clear the flat (we could have had longer but it wasn't needed). The electricity board however kept writing to my sister (who was executor) and asking for the bill to be paid up to the end of the month - which she didn't need as she only had two days to pay! They asked for her forwarding address - so my sister wrote the plot no and the address of the cemetery and they wrote there!!! In the end we asked for a person who could use sign language to come to a meeting with the local MP as they clearly couldn't understand spoken or written language (one of my sister in laws teaches sign language) and that put a stop to it.

There are heartless bureaucrats out there - and there are some nice ones, but the majority are 'just doing their jobs' and churn out their rubbish.

One bit of advice I was given when my mum died unexpectedly was "Nobody has the right to tell you how and when you can do your grieving, it is an individual thing and cannot be regulated by law or custom."

Hopefully things will become easier over the months ahead, the light at the end of the tunnel isn't really there in some cases, its just your eyes getting used to the darkness.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

It ISNT your fault, you have to deal with something that there isn't a rule book as such for...

The tax people need to be sent a copy of the death certificate and a letter explaining the lack of assets, there really isn't much they can do now, they CANNOT chase you beyond the time probate is granted and the estate settled - so its pretty much a stalemate situation (IMHO they should write this amount off, if the 'earnings' had alreay been paid for in tax or were benefits there is no amount due to them.

• 5 months later...

There you are, I think you may find you will occasionally get the odd communication, then you can remind them that on xxx date you sent a CCA request and they are in default of that - so you won't be doing anything until it arrives.

Hope everything else is going well for you now after your problems.