David and Goliath : Me v HSBC

bze lizzy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I really do not know what to do, but I know I'm getting in a "2 & 8" over my dealings with HSBC. To tell you the truth, I really feel my health is suffering as a result of their bully boy tactics and phone call harrassment.

It is a very long story but I'll try to be brief. Things started to go wrong in 2002/3 after my divorce. I'd moved home and at first got a mortgage with Nat West no problems with them at the end of the fixed term I had a mortgage with the Woolwich also no problems with them but however, during that short time I started getting problems with HSBC regarding fees and charges applied to my account. It was as if they were punishing me for not taking up their offer of taking out a mortgage with them. I went down to the bank several times to try to sort matters out I was determined not to bury my head in the sand. They didn't seem in the least bit interested in trying to help me just said " you'll have to re-examine your finances & make cutbacks" and gave me a leaflet to take away. I tried to explain to them that I was already being as careful as poss & my income mainly went on bills, leaving me very little at the end of each month.

They were simply not interested or prepared to be reasonable & so began my interminable decline into debt. I asked them if they could stop the charges on my account because this was only making matters worse. I was told that couldn't be done as it was law and the only thing they could suggest was moving everything to one place i.e them. At the time I was naiive enough to think they knew best and agreed to move my mortgage, take out an equity loan, and have access to a flexi loan. They told me I would not have to pay mortgage fees but on transfer promptly charged me £400. I challenged it and was only given £20 back. At the time I thought I could do nothing about it.

I also find it hard to save becausse I'm on low wages so I was extremely pleased to manage to save £3000. However, my pleasure was shortlived as they then started transferring money from my savings account to my current account without any notification. Can they do that? I am now left with no savings as last week after I'd managed to save £80 they took that as well. Can I claim these monies back too?

At the moment I'm looking round for a new motgage lender as my term comes to an end at the end of this month, but because of the mess they have got me into I've found it impossible to find one. Up till now I've a clear credit rating but feel they will soon take that away too if I can't put breaks on this runaway cart.

As they won't allow me to draw cash out of the bank I have to use my credit card to buy food etc & petrol to get to work which means my balance is increasing & ssoon I won't be able to use that. I feel as if they just want to repossess my property. I will then be homeless as I'd never be able to get back on the property ladder. I'm very frightened & have been signed off by the doctor for stress because of all of this & the non stop phonecalls telling me I'm overdrawn well who's fault is that. I've been trying to ignore them lately, rightly or wrongly.It is all financially crippling & I've told them I've got difficulties which I doing my best to sort out. But to no avail. What should I do? Has anybody got some suggestions please because of time scale.

bze lizzy

Hi Lizzy, sorry to hear about your problems, have you got your statements going back six years on these accounts? whatever you do make sure you pay your mortgage, as long as you pay it they cant repossess your home. get yourself another bank account and transfer everything over to it ok? pm me if i miss your reply as its quite busy on here!!! most of all dont panic!!!

hi lizzy dont fret , you're in the right place now,

when you say they took money out of your savings account, did they put it into your current account just to pay the charges?, regardless, they have been messing you about, and now its time to get your money back and put you back on track, we can look into all the other factors later, but best thing is to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, if you have access to internet banking, i strongly recommend using that to calculate your last 6 years of charges, if not, then you will have to submit a SAR - (Subject Access Request)

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Hi,

I really do not know what to do, but I know I'm getting in a "2 & 8" over my dealings with HSBC. To tell you the truth, I really feel my health is suffering as a result of their bully boy tactics and phone call harrassment.

Hi Lizzy

I ve just read your thread and feel like most of all you need right now is support. You are definitely in a right place, people are very helpful here.

I had my mortgage with HSBC initially and everything was tip top but when I have moved it to the other lender. Two month ago I got into financial problem because I am in between jobs. I had enough money to cover all my bills they just was not coming into my account quick enough. So first month DD for my mortgage bounced and when I did not have enough for next month HSBC simply cancelled DD to my mortgage lender. So, I called the lender and told them that I will pay manually for a few months till my situation improves they do not mind. I believe that if I would still have the mortgage with HSBC they would not cancel DD but rather charge me for overdrawing. People are right do not panic, take one step at the time and believe it will get better.

Good luck

Prelim to HSBC sent on 30th June for £580.

Reply with offer to refund £520.00 on 19th July

Thanks guys,

I've just read your messages and appreciate the support. I have taken the first step this morning in sending off my SAR to my local branch. I hope that was the right address and by recorded delivery as I didn't want them to conveniently say they had not received it. If they don't like it they can stick it where the sun don't shine. But I'm determined to get my money back, and with such helpful support from other folk who use this site hopefully I'll have the courage and chance to do so.

Couple of quick questions.

Transferring my account and mortgage? What are the best steps to take? I'm conscious of timescale 2. I contacted the CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) who put me in touch with an organisation called "Who's Lending". They were quite helpful and concerned but suggested I may have to stay with HSBC for my mortgage in the short term because of the mess they'd got me into and that they are my main creditor. Is there a time limit on transfers and also I'm a bit concerned because aren't all banks the same?

bze lizzy

I also called in at a different branch to get print out copies of the most recent statement and I found the following as an example again. My pay goes into my account on 23/06/06 (as they are well aware) on 21/06/06 they took payment out for £160 for my flexi loan recalled it the same day and charged me another £30 for the priviledge then took the original payment out again the following day. On 5/7/06 they charged me an additional £10 for a supposed charge card misuse then on 7/7/06 paid out my monies for my council tax recalled it the same day and charged me yet another £30 for their service. I have already had more harrassing phonecalls too but I'm going to take the advice I received today and tell them that any further communication is to be put in writing.

• 2 weeks later...
p.s also tell them when they ring you that any further communication from them must be in writing!!! they have to comply ok?

Hi,

Thanks for that advice just last week I had yet another unpleasant phonecall. The female operator on the other end was quite abrupt & said you'd better sort things soon. At which point I thought enough is enough, although since receiving your email I had already decided to tell them where to go. I said I'm not able to talk now so I suggest that whatever the reason is for this call you put it to me in writing and if anything relating to my accounts occurs in the future you put those matters in writing too. To which I got a peeved hmm as if to say how very dare you. I ended the call.

Ps how do I pm you if I need to I don't understand how it works please explain.

bze lizzy

hi lizzy dont fret , you're in the right place now,

when you say they took money out of your savings account, did they put it into your current account just to pay the charges?, regardless, they have been messing you about, and now its time to get your money back and put you back on track, we can look into all the other factors later, but best thing is to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, if you have access to internet banking, i strongly recommend using that to calculate your last 6 years of charges, if not, then you will have to submit a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - (Subject Access Request)

Hi,

I have recently sent off my SAR, had the fees for the production of the information waived, and received my first batch of statements through. I'm feeling overwhelmed and starting to panic even though you said I had no need too but it's such a challenge and I don't want to add more problems to my situation. What would you advise me to do as best way to wade through this maze? Thanks

bze lizzy

hi Lizzy,

Sounds like you're best dealing with this in writing. It takes longer but it's definitely less stressful.

I started this process a month ago and have found it quite easy (I'm in a similar situation to you. My mortgage and accounts all with HSBC.)- everybody here is very helpful. Just ask if you get stuck.

Try using the step-by-step guide on this site. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/243-step-step-instructions.html

Its really useful way of keeping track of where you are in the process.

You just need to get your statements and add up your charges at this stage. Pretty simple as long as you're okay with a calculator!

Good luck

x zoe

HSBC- Amount owed from unlawful charges- £2191.73

Progress so far

27/06/06 Preliminary letter sent

10/07/06 Sent letter before action

25/07/06 Completed and submitted MCOL

27/07/06 Recieved offer of £1850 from HSBC

14/08/06 Recieved full amount + court fees from HSBC:)

Hi,

Thanks Zoe,

It comes to something doesn't it when you think by having everything in one place you are making things easier for yourself, only to find out as far as HSBC is concerned the opposite is true. I expect all the banks are the same though, don't you? How are you coping with your dealings with them?

bze lizzy

Sounds like you're getting the 'caring service' that I had a few years ago. :( Don't let them rough-ride you, and ask here for the advice you need.

Ps how do I pm you if I need to I don't understand how it works please explain.

Quickest and easiest way is to spot someone's name on a post and give it a click - one of the options is 'Send private message to TaylorMade'. This brings you onto another posting screen which will let you enter a message that only goes to the person you selected.

At the top of your screen is a Welcome bze lizzy' message followed by Private Message: Unread 0, Total 3 (that's my info, by the way). This is where you see your message and respond to them. If you can post on a thread, then you can do Private Messaging ;)

Hope this helps. :)

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd try to keep you updated on what's happening. I've started getting my statements through after sending my SAR. They sent my £10 fee back before I'd received any information. In the accompanying letter they said & I quote:

"We are happy to waive any fees for the production of this information and we

return your payment".

I must say I was surprised at the instant response, though I'm not expecting the rest to be so straightforward. At the mo I'm trying to work through Step 2 of this process it does take a lot of time to do it thoroughly. I don't want to find I've missed something or overlooked something in my haste to press on with this matter. Will let you know how I get on. Can anybody give me any good advice as to how to make this part of the process simpler please?

bze lizzy