Lowell Financial Letter Recieved

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I would welcome some sound advice on what to do regarding an old debt. Back in 2001 I got into some financial difficulties and ended up with a debt on a Capital One credit card. Things went out of control, as they do and I just ignored the letters. Since then I have got myself back on an even keel and am up to date with all my normal bills etc. However I recieved a letter from Lowell Financial today saying I owe £3200 and they are collecting the debt now from Capital One. Since I got into debt I have moved 4 times so Im unsure how they found me. I have not made a payment or contacted them now for 7 years. Is the debt still enforcable? Can they collect it? I have a family now, a 3 year old daughter and a new one due in 3 weeks. I am worried that if I make contact and suggest some sort of offer to pay it off monthly then they will know for sure it is I, at this address, refuse my offer and send the balliffs round!!! Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks !

Hello and Welcome, Clarkey99.

This 'alleged' debt will be Statute Barred.

Here's some info on Statute Barred debts.........

IHTM28384 - Law relating to debts: statute-barred debts

If a lender allows time to pass without receiving any payment an action for recovery may become barred.

Under the Limitations Act 1980 the time limits are

in simple contracts, 6 years

in contracts under seal, 12 years.

If the debtor acknowledges the debt in writing or makes a part payment within the original limitation period, then the time limits start to run again from the date of acknowledgement or the date of payment.

Send Lowell's letter 'M' in the Templates Library.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Send it recorded and don't sign it.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Many thanks Scott. I have heard of this ruling but was unsure if it was still valid. A number of people have told me recently that this rule no longer applies. I will, however go with what you have suggested.

:)

Scott

One last thing....what if they have actively been chasing me for this debt but because I have moved 4 times, were unable to find me....does this still apply under the limitations act? They may have been sending me letters daily for the past 6 years for all I know, but I never received them....if you get my point? Thanks again !

Look at this this way.... Just because you owe some money you are not allowed to move???

It's their problem and their job to find you, and to prove any nonsense they might want to allege against you (such as moving to avoid repaying for example).

Thanks...I just want to make sure I dont drop myself in it further by replying back to them.

So how would I respond if they come back to me and tell me they have been trying to contact me for the past 7 years?

Tell em to get lost, ask them to provide either written acknowledgement or proof of payment made within the last 6 years, if not the debt is statute barred and is therefore unenforceable. If they continue to chase then report them to Trading Standards and OFT...

Dont pay anything to em

[CENTER][CENTER][B] Has this post helped you?[/B] [/CENTER] [LEFT][CENTER]If so please click on the scales!! [LEFT][B]<--------------------------------[/B] [/LEFT] [/CENTER] [/LEFT] [/CENTER]

I'm presuming you are on the electoral register have current commitments and dont mind people knowing your current address etc, if not Experian will retain your latest address which may be shared with anyone who wants to interrogate it

[CENTER][CENTER][B] Has this post helped you?[/B] [/CENTER] [LEFT][CENTER]If so please click on the scales!! [LEFT][B]<--------------------------------[/B] [/LEFT] [/CENTER] [/LEFT] [/CENTER]

Just found this in another thread. This is what I was worried about (see my posts further up the thread). Should this worry me?

Clarkey

There's the problem of concealment, i.e. something isn't statute barred if you acted in a way to prevent the creditor finding out where you lived... or a possible CCJ by default.

If you can prove that you left a forwarding address, and no post was ever forwarded, then (if the last contact was over 6 years ago), the debt will be statute barred.

If you have been on the electoral roll at each of your addresses, you haven't concealed anything. As I said, who says you are not allowed to move if you want, or have to?

It down to them to prove you tried to hide from them.

You will merely defend their accusations.. and they have to have the proof you tried to hide anyway. You won't be proving anything.. you will be defending (ok, yes, by proving something or other). The point is, THEY have to prove their allegations against you... this is what legal argument is all about.

IF it goes to court, they will have to supply you with all the stuff they want to use against you, as their "proof", and you will have to provide to them, all the stuff you will use to defend yourself. Thats a way off yet anyway, so until that happens, try not to worry about it.

Don't forget.. he who alleges.. must prove (saw that on here, so thanks to whoever said it in the first place).

Thinking about this again...would I be better off sending them the letter asking for proof of debt..ie the original signed docs etc...???

I have an awful feeling that I may have written to Capital One, possibly 5 years ago, asking to come to some sort of arrangement with the debt as it was worrying me. I cannot be sure 100% if I did and it may have been a letter to another company I had a small debt with at the same time. So I may be still under the 6 years.

Send off the CCA letter. If Lowells or Capone can come up with something other than a totally non enforcable application form then I for one will be totally surprised

• 2 weeks later...

Just about to send Lowell the CCA letter, I decided to wait until I recieved 2 nd letter incase they were 'blanket mailing'. I dont really want to send to the PO Box address....can I send it to the registered office address shown at the foot of their letter?

NO. You are entitled at any time to see if they have the correct paperwork for the ALLEGED debt. If it makes you feel better put in large letters at the start of the letter

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOU OR ANY COMPANY YOU PURPORT TO REPRESENT