CCA, DCAs and the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Saw an article relating to alcohol abuse and the problems it's causing.

Although not directly related to us:eek:, some comments made certainly are!

Paraphrased, they were:

The government needs to end the pretence that new laws and red tape are needed to solve these problems.

They need to switch of the endless conveyer belt of new legislation and regulation, then properly enforce the laws already in existence.

Ring any bells?

• Haha 1

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw an article relating to alcohol abuse and the problems it's causing.

Although not directly related to us:eek:, some comments made certainly are!

Paraphrased, they were:

The government needs to end the pretence that new laws and red tape are needed to solve these problems.

They need to switch of the endless conveyer belt of new legislation and regulation, then properly enforce the laws already in existence.

Ring any bells?

Yep. It sounds like a campanologists' carnival from where I'm sitting. This current government are the worst I've ever known with their bullying, nannying tendency. They haven't got a clue. Remember this: "education, education, education"? or this "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime"? or this "24 hours to save the NHS".? Lying ba*tards the whole lot.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for them because I just KNEW what we would get - and we got it.

Fred

• Haha 1

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for them because I just KNEW what we would get - and we got it.

Fred

Well, hearing the news today, looks as though one is (nearly) down - how many more balls to get the full set?!

Big Question is though - 'Who/what comes next'???

(Apologies to BB, slightly off thread)

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I think history will look back on this lot as the government that passed more laws than any other, yet actually fixed f*** all.

David

Britain burned while Gordon was "just getting on with the job".

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Who do I vote for in a general election

The lot that will do the least damage.

Could have shades of Emperor Cladius though. If you recall he got installed, (one version of history), on account of the fact they all thought he was a harmless nitwit.....:-o

and the b*st*ard invaded us.

David

What makes me laugh is that those cretins think that if they get rid of Broon they'll all stay in office. They don't seem to realize, because of their life within the Westminster bubble, that we former labour supporters are sick to death of the lot of them & want to see their backs

I'm beginning to see Guy Fawks as somewhat of a bleeding hero

Well, there still doesn't seem to be any real change as far as TS are concerned and they are still extremely reluctant to offer any constructive help, or to take further action against any DCAs. I received a post card in my post yesterday, stating that a company called First Direct Logistics had tried to deliver a package and we needed to contact them to arrange a new delivery - so a bit like the cards Royal Mail leave, or other courier companies. We noticed however that the card had been posted to us, which seemed strange and I therefore googled the company and soon found out they are linked to a debt collection company called HFO. I rang First Direct and informed them that I knew they were a DCA and not a logisitics company, which they denied and were extremely rude. I then found that a lot of complaints relating to this company have been posted on this forum as other people have also received these postcards, purporting to be from a logistics company who are trying to deliver a parcel. During my conversation with First Direct I pointed out that they have been investigated by TS and also by the police and the chap on the phone said "yes, they have been investigating us for many years" to which I replied that the company obviously couldn't care less about this. His answer to this was "nope!"

I emailed TS in Croydon as the Company's registered address is here, and received the following reply today:

"Thank you for your e-mail

You are correct in assuming this company is linked to HFO who are debt collectors.

Both businesses have a Croydon contact address but are based in the London Borough of Merton. (Who are aware of their activities)

The company has been investigated by this service but I have no knowledge that they have been investigated formally by the police.

The company appears to comply with acceptable practices for that of debt collectors.

We receive a regular number of enquires concerning the company, however to date non have been justified

I do not intend to pursue this matter further; however the Office of Fair Trading (contact details available on the internet) monitor and police credit recovery businesses. You may wish to contact them with your complaint"

So not much help there really is there. I have now made two formal complaints, one concerning Link and one about this company, and TS just really couldn't care less. This seems to be pretty standard throughout the country, regardless of which TS you contact. The suggestion to contact the OFT is certainly not helpful, because for one thing they won't get involved on a personal level, and for another if you write to them complaining about a particular company, they simply send out a standard response. If you actually speak to any of the DCAs in question, they practically split their sides laughing if you mention TS or the OFT, as they know that nothing will be done.

Edited by MAGDA
typo

Contact TS again & tell them this company think it's funny when you threaten them with TS

Also ask them that in view of their statement that they have investigated this company many times before are they really claiming that every compliant was without foundation

Thanks BB and JonCris. I did inform Croydon TS in my email that the company found it amusing that they had been investigated by TS, but this doesn't seem to bother TS. Link were exactly the same, they laughed when I mentioned TS, and told me to go ahead and report them. It really is a big joke with the DCA's. I think to be honest that TS often has quite a 'close' relationship with some of these companies ( I know that Link and Caerphilly TS are on first names terms) and each party in this relationship is fully aware that the company is quite safe from prosection, because TS will not do anything at the end of the day. What is the point of these laws if the DCAs can just abuse them and not be penalised in any way. I do intend to email Croydon back anyway and point out why, as you say Joncris, if they have had so many complaints (some of which must be justified) nothing has ever been done. Surely it isn't ok for a company to masquerade as a logistics/courier company in order to extract information from someone in a completely dishonest and underhand way. Will look at the link you posted BB. Magda

Edited by MAGDA
typo

I am thinking of applying for a job to my local TS.

From my experience of them, this means I will be able to sit around, do f*** all and get paid for it.

No wonder they don't care if companies laugh at them, they must have trouble keeping a straight face themselves.

David

Surely it isn't ok for a company to masquerade as a logistics/courier company in order to extract information from someone in a completely dishonest and underhand way.

Isn`t this some form of social engineering, used by hackers and other dodgy doers before they rip you off?

I`m sure there are laws against this sort of behaviour, just not sure which ones.

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

I am thinking of applying for a job to my local TS.

From my experience of them, this means I will be able to sit around, do f*** all and get paid for it.

Yes, that's the job description for a TS officer in one. And how much do they get paid to sit around doing nothing I wonder, probably quite a bit.

No wonder they don't care if companies laugh at them, they must have trouble keeping a straight face themselves.

David

Isn`t this some form of social engineering, used by hackers and other dodgy doers before they rip you off?

I`m sure there are laws against this sort of behaviour, just not sure which ones.

You would think so, wouldn't you - I expect the DCA's and TS are busy at the moment arranging their joint Xmas party - that must occupy them for most of the day anyway:roll:

Perhaps you should send them this copy of the OFT Guidance:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

1 INTRODUCTI0N

1.1 The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has a duty under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

to ensure that licences are only given to and retained by those who are fit to hold them. The Act provides that the OFT take into account any circumstances which appear to be relevant and in particular any evidence that an applicant, licensee, or their employees, agents or business associates, past or present, have:

• committed offences involving fraud, or other dishonesty or violence

• failed to comply with the requirements of credit or other consumer

legislation

• practised discrimination in connection with their business

engaged in business practices appearing to us to be deceitful, oppressive or otherwise unfair or improper (whether unlawful or not).

I'm getting tired of this bat and ball business passing the buck and toothless, spineless organisations doing nothing in line with what they are paid to do.

Sarah

I sometimes wonder what these publicly funded bodies actually do, (TS, OFT, ombudsman, FSA etc etc). An interesting read is 'Squandered' by David Craig. It is endorsed by the taxpayesr alliance

The TaxPayers' Alliance - Home

This is the same lot that Heather Brooke is affiliated to, (she's the one who exposed the scandal regarding MP's expenses). The inference is this lot, are just waiting for their gold standard publicly funded pensions and whilst they're at it, are quite happy to do eff-all.

I sometimes wonder what these publicly funded bodies actually do, (TS, OFT, ombudsman, FSA etc etc). An interesting read is 'Squandered' by David Craig. It is endorsed by the taxpayesr alliance

The TaxPayers' Alliance - Home

This is the same lot that Heather Brooke is affiliated to, (she's the one who exposed the scandal regarding MP's expenses). The inference is this lot, are just waiting for their gold standard publicly funded pensions and whilst they're at it, are quite happy to do eff-all.

Quite agree...

They're supposed to uphold the LAW of this land yet they do nothing and let the rogue companies laugh in thier faces. Cowaradice, nothing short :-x

Regarding the FSA, in the light of recent events, I suspect the head of the FSA is taking a sudden interest in 'Sits Vac'

David

Don't think so - he's being lauded tonight for taking steps to stop short selling. Do stable doors & horses sound appropriate here d'you think?

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.