Is the envelope part of the PCN?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a PCN from the London Borough of Merton as my residents permit had expired. The PCN seems to be worded correctly. However, the envelope for the notice has a little box called "offence". The code is 12. On the notice this is referred to as the "contravention code" - also 12. My question is, does the envelope constitute part of the PCN? If so, then is the ticket invalid as they used the word "offence"? Thanks.

I received a PCN from the London Borough of Merton as my residents permit had expired. The PCN seems to be worded correctly. However, the envelope for the notice has a little box called "offence". The code is 12. On the notice this is referred to as the "contravention code" - also 12. My question is, does the envelope constitute part of the PCN? If so, then is the ticket invalid as they used the word "offence"? Thanks.

I think there is prejudice to misslead the person recieving pcn. It is not an offence it is a contravention.

Also does it have the word 'enclosed' on the envelope. Ive read somewhere that this also missrepresents the legal standing as it is not the envelope that is the pcn it is the ticket inside.Worth a check.

A good question weather it nulifies the ticket personally i think it may however somone else may say otherwiseicon7.gif

I would upload an image of the envelope, but I don't know where I can . . .

It says "PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE (ENCLOSED)" on the envelope. But before that it says "It is a Criminal Offence to Interfere with this Notice" suggesting that the envelope is the notice? But this contradicts the enclosed statement.

The criminal offence bit only refers to others removing it from your car.

Its got Date, time , OFFENCE. (got the word enclosed thoicon7.gif)

Isnt this prejudicial and missleading, therfore non compliant to the rta 1991 as ammended?

It clearly says the PCN is enclosed thus removing any doubt that the envelope does not form part of it. I can't therefore see how it can prejudice can be formed since the envelope does not say you have commited an offence and the PCN would explain your legal position regarding the notice.

It clearly says the PCN is enclosed thus removing any doubt that the envelope does not form part of it. I can't therefore see how it can prejudice can be formed since the envelope does not say you have commited an offence and the PCN would explain your legal position regarding the notice.

I think there have been cases to do with envelopes of this type, Sunderland city I think , maybe someone elso knows of this.

Agreed. But why quote the law and state an offence code? If it's just an envelope.

The law concerning removing the PCN makes it an offence, if it was inside on the PCN it would be a nonsense as no one could read it. The reference to the code on the front is technically incorrect but since it does not say you have commited an offence or describe it or indicate its part of the PCN in my opinion appealing on those grounds is the waste of a stamp.

It also says that there is a "reduction of 50% if payment is received within 14 days". 14 days of when? There could be some mileage in it but only at the adjudicator stage.

It also says see inside for payment details which would state the legal period for payment so there is not really any mileage in it at all since the envelope is just that....an envelope.