Advice please

Shadow4
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5790 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband works full time but has been on the sick with stress and depression for 10weeks now and is only recieving statutory sick pay - he is still ill and it does not look like he will return to work for a long time. I only work part-time and temporary and I put in a claim for income support but was told I did not qualify as between us we have £200 a week coming in - even though I explained to them our mortgage is £200 a week. We have two children and no mortgage protection.

Due to my husbands illness and worries over money we have now split up but he is still living here with me as we both have nowhere else to go and the house is in both of our names. I am recieving child benefit and tax credits as well as my wages he has no other income other than his statutory sick pay - would either of us be entitled to claim benefits on our own? He has barely enough to live on so contributes barely nothing towards the house and I am struggling to pay mortgage poll tax food etc and am living on next to nothing. Any advice would be appreciated.

When i was in you position years back i am sure that i got help with mortgage payments but can't remeber if that come under hb and council tax benefit. Have you applied for these yet?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi thanks for your reply. I rang job centre plus and they went through our details to asses us for income support hb and ct benefit they then rang me to say i was not intitled to anything. Do you think it will make a difference that i have now split up with my husband?

I am not sure as you are still co-habitting.

Someone with more knowledge should be along soon.

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 4 weeks later...

Shadow

I am sorry you are having difficult time at the moment and I hope it will pass soon.

Law of Land says everyone should have a standard amount to live on, this is called 'applicable amount'. If your earnings or household income is less than that applicable amount then it would be topped up with Income Support, Pension Credit etc. Like if the weekly applicable amount is £50 and you earn £40 then DWP will top it up to £50 by giving you £10 Income Support (IS) provided you have less than £6000 worth of savings or capital. Once you are entitled to IS you get passport for other benefits like housing and council tax benefit, free prescription, school meals, glasses, dentist etc. Your applicable amount can be increased if you are carer or disabled etc. This increase is called 'premium'.

In the current financial year the applicable amount for single person (Age 25-60) is £60.50 and for couple (Age 18 over) is £94.95 means if you household income is more than this then you cant claim income support provided one of the couple is disabled or carer.

As you said you have splitted from your husband but he is still living in the same house (you've to prove that you both are no longer together - so DWP cant accuse you for cohabiting fraud) your husband can apply for Incapacity benefit (when his SSP is finished normally after 28 weeks from SSP start date). If the illness is long term then he can also apply for Income Support though the Income Support will not be more than couple of quid but he will be entitled for other benefits. (Income Support and Incapacity Benefit claim line 08000 55 66 88 - claim both in the same call).

As you are not a couple anymore and if the you have a joint mortgage then your husband will become 50% liable for Council tax so his share of council tax will be paid through Council tax benefit. As you are not entitled to Council tax benefit thats why you have to pay your council tax. As you husband is on SSP he can claim for Council tax benefit on the basis of 50% liability. If he includes you and kids as well in the claim then your earnings will be counted in the calculation for council tax benefit. Which means NO entitlement.

Just in case if you have not done so, if you both were claiming tax credits jointly please inform tax credit office about the change of circs. (illness, separation etc) to prevent any overpayment etc. You may get more tax credit if you are on low income as a lone parent, because your husband's earnings are not included. please keep record of all the contacts you make with tax credits office (recently many people complained that they informed about change of circs. but tax credits denied. if that happens ask for the CD of recorded call by giving them date and time).

Income support helps with the mortgage 4 weeks after its award date if the property was bought before 2 Oct 1995. If its after 2 Oct 1995 then the mortgage entitlement starts from 39 weeks after from the start date of income support. Please also check if you have payment protection insurance (PPI) on your mortgage to cover sickness. Most of the time PPI refuses the insurance claim on the basis of mental health sicknes, you need to contact you lender about this. Also check with lender if your mortgage policy has any relaxation period or payment holiday which offers some time off paying your mortgage.

He may consider applying for Disability Living Allowance DLA (Low Rate Comp) on the basis of problem cooking meal for himself. Please note that for DLA it is important that the illness or disability started 3 months ago and is going to last for next 6 months (but I wish him all the best of his health).

If he is on regular and repeat medication he can fill HC1 form (available in pharmecies, surgeries ect) to ask help with health costs.

This is a very basic advice and I would suggest you to see your local welfare rights or Citizens Advice as every individual's circumstances and entitlements are different from others.

Any question?

All the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Edited by adamrao

:-|Impossible is I'M Possible:lol:

If you think the advice given is useful then show your appreciation by clicking on the scales.

I was going to suggest that he claims DLA (Disability Living Allowance) but this has already been suggested. I would add however that he should seek support with completing the form from the Citizens Advice Bureau. Too often people complete the forms and understate the impact of their illness or do not fully understand the impact of their illness. Many people who are ill/disabled have good days and bad days or bad days and even worse days but it is important when making a claim to describe only the worst.

Settled Tribunal claim against employer regarding Disability Discrimination.

Recovered my money from an AXA Bonus Cash Builder Plus after discovering here on CAG that the original advertising was found to be misleading.

Cabot still can't provide a copy of Credit Agreement and have left me alone for about a year now.

I was going to suggest that he claims DLA (Disability Living Allowance) but this has already been suggested. I would add however that he should seek support with completing the form from the Citizens Advice Bureau. Too often people complete the forms and understate the impact of their illness or do not fully understand the impact of their illness. Many people who are ill/disabled have good days and bad days or bad days and even worse days but it is important when making a claim to describe only the worst.

You are 101% right CSJ2K.

The DLA decision makers are not medcial professionals and mainly make their decision on the basis of the information providd in the form.

So YES please seek assistance from local CAB or other free services.

:-|Impossible is I'M Possible:lol:

If you think the advice given is useful then show your appreciation by clicking on the scales.