Double Time for Sundays

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can someone advise

My mum works for Ladbrokes bookmakers in shop. She is an assistant manager and has worked for them for 12 years. She is on a 30 hour contract. Since Sunday racing came in, she has work 30 hours a week but the sunday was included in this but she got double pay for this.

She has now been told that She will continue to work on Sundays but will no longer get double time, instead, she will have a day of the next week in lieu.

She is gutted as it will cost her £160 per month.

Any advice or links to law

Just to say, when she started, their was no racing on sundays or any envisaged so their was no mention of such in the contracts. Just If you were needed to work, you would be paid double time.

All new staff are paid normal time for sundays

Thanks

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

I expect the answer will be in her contract of employment, if not she could argue that an arrangement was made to pay double time, as such she should continue to receive it

What I can't answer is what recourse has she if they simply impose this change, however there are some members with HR experience who could give some pointers

Regards

Andy

Thansk Andrew. I will wait and see

Her point is this revision costs here so much money

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

There are specific rules relating to Sunday work (and betting shop work) HERE but these make no mention of any rights to receive extra pay. The law is concerned with the right of an employee not to be dismissed for refusing to work on Sundays. That being the case, this is, as stated above a matter of contractual obligation. Even if not written into her contract, it has become customary that your mother receives pay at double time for Sunday working, and as such the employer must give reasoning and adequate notice for the variation of contract. Your mother is entitled to accept the terms or reject them, but ultimately if she rejects them then the employer is equally entitled to dismiss her and offer her employment under the new contract. She may then have cause to take action for a breach of contract or unfair dismissal but only if the correct procedures are not carried out and there was no good reason on the employer's part for making changes or dismissing her for refusing to accept the new arrangement.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!