annoying pop up when logging in

Guest louis wu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but scared in the knowledge that if it 'goes wrong' I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it

There's nothing that can go wrong with FireFox that couldn't also go wrong with IE, indeed, IE is more likely to fall apart than FF.

and then I'd be left with nothing

When you install FireFox, it simply gets added to your PC as your default browser. You don't uninstall IE, and can go back to using it at any time. You can even run both simultaneously, should you so desire.

For FireFox:

1) Visit HERE and click on the green download button.

2) Run the file you've downloaded and keep everything at default. Firefox will automatically grab all of your favourites and links from IE and replicate them for you.

3) Start using FireFox.

As you get more confident with FireFox, you can begin to customise it to suit your tastes.

This Link will allow you to install new skins and themes.

This Link will allow you to add extra features to FireFox, all installed with one simple click.

Some highly recommended basic add-ons are Update Notifier, NoScript, PDF Downloader, AdBlock, and TabBrowser Preferences. For the slightly more technically minded, I can also recommend Aardvark, Web Developer, IE Tab, CSS Validator, and, finally, User Agent Switcher.

For those concerned about change, remember that FireFox doesn't touch your installation of IE. You won't loose IE, can go back to it at any time, and even run both browsers at once if you choose.

Indeed, Dave. Benign cookies have nothing to do with IE's comparative inability to protect you from online threats.

As CurlyBen quite rightly says, IE's ActiveX is a major - if not the single biggest - cause of unsolicited spyware / malware (and sometimes worse) getting onto your PC.

FireFox's code is fundamentally different. It is not that it has the same weaknesses as IE but deals with them better, but rather that it does not have these weaknesses to begin with.

It is simply a superior browser.

I only have IE installed for web development work, when I need to be sure my websites will look the same in IE as they do in real browsers.

It has to be said, for W3C, IE stands alone in the range of browsers as being the only one that often seriously mangles - or worse, ignores - standard code. I've never had to write patch code for any other browser.

Go back to IE7. :grin:
Why return to the nest once you've learned to fly?

loius wu, can you post a screenshot?
Indeed. I personally don't use the CAG toolbar plugin, but I've just done a test install and it works perfectly.

It also seems to work perfectly for other users, and the thread for it reports none of the issues described, so it's rather looking like something unique to louis' system is causing this issue.

Perhaps a screenshot will help...

I've downloaded EVERYTHING - still getting pop-ups, but hopefully nothing nasty will happen to my PC from closing them.

If you are getting this popup even when surfing CAG, which I don't believe uses advertising popups, then the problem is that you have something nasty running resident on your system.

The programs mentioned by CurlyBen and others should remove this issue, but may not take effect until after you reboot your PC.

Firefox has worked! Hooray.

Thanks for the words of encouragement CB - i suppose i do now need to grips with computers before the kids overtake me.

Glad FireFox has been able to help. Now you can start tinkering with it to tailor everything as you like it. Some useful links appear in this post.