cabot help required

debt4get
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

have been paying cabot monthly after they phoned me over a credit card debt, after a year they then wrote and said they were putting the payments up, cancelled direct debit and waited for them to get in touch they did with a vengence, the telephone calls were incessant. sent them a standard email to desist for harrassment which they did they then wrote to me as asked. when letter arrived it said debt for providian, well to cut a long story short I dont remember having a card with this lot and when I tried to check found theyve gone any suggestions greatfully received

My account is on hold until they find the agreement, could be a long wait!

Have you sent a letter to Cabot stating that you don't recognise the debt, if not, this is one of Curlyben's I think :

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

They will have to then supply proof of the debt, you could have a long wait as Cabot for some reason don't have the required documents immediately available.

Good luck, Dibs.

Don't know if i'm coming or going!

Just reading this thread with interest. I have had a letter from cabot this morning asking me to contact them but does not say what about. I had a card with Providian a long time ago (6 years I think) and have heard nothing about it since then. Is it about that? I'm really scared and dont know what to do. Can anyone help?

bobbysox whatever you do DO NOT ring them, if they ring you and the chances are they will tell them to sling their hook

I dont know offhand you will have to read the threads but there is something about a statute of limitations on these debts I have a feeling yours falls into that category

bobbysox, just type cabot into the searchbox and read through the threads, you will then learn how the cabot group operate.

I agree with nblaen, it does sound as if this alleged debt is statute barred,

follow nblaens advice and do not speak to them on the phone, if they phone you, simply hang up.

Good luck, Dibs.

Don't know if i'm coming or going!

I certainly hope it is statute barred as you say. I went through a real tough time about 7 years ago, just graduated (student debt) when I unexpectedly fell pregnant, lost my job and became a single parent. I thought everything was finally sorted and felt like my whole world was about to fall apart when I opened the post this morning. Thanks for your help. will keep you posted!!

Hi all

I've been reading this thread with interest, as I too am being hassled by cabot, yes Providien was sold to monument, which I think are part of Barclays who incidently actually own Cabot or did, its a bit complicated but I'm sure somone on this site will be able to clarify this.

Alan

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I ignored the previous letter from Cabot but today I received another one saying they had confirmation that I live at this address and that my account is overdue, I should contact them to arrange repayment of the account. I'm sure this debt is statute barred and that they are just fishing. should I continue to ignore? What do you think? I would be grateful for some guidance on this. Many thanks Bobbysox

cabot lie they told me they didnt need to produce a cca and that they could still collect on statue barred debts!!!... dont talk to them on the phone cca them. they couldnt find the cca for my boyfriend and gave up. if they ring you keep saying in writting only please.