How much to offer?

Andrew66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have two outstanding debts, £1300 to A+L and £650 to Homebase. I've been on an IVA for 2 1/2 years but want to clear them using a loan to repair my credit rating. Is the best policy to write with an offer? I thought £350 to A+L and £250 to Homebase are reasonable offers. Anyone got a view on this?

A+L S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July. Statements rec'd 01 Sept. Letter requesting repayment of £4,979 sent 18/09 MCOL sent 15th Nov £6389.57. Cheque received £6425.54 4th Dec.:D

MBNA S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July, promised reply by 28th August. Cheque rec'd £250 31 Aug.:confused: . 2nd letter sent 7 sept for rest of charges to be returned. £243 rec'd 28th Oct:D

CCA sent 1st Credit 11th August, reply 15th Aug

Request for repayment Rooftop Mortgages for £1095, reply saying no on 17th Aug.

Still to come: Cap. One, Time retail, HFC Bank.

Hi Andrew66 - I guess it would depend on how much they stand to get out of the IVA. It is worth a try although I am not sure if the offers should be proportional to the debts. I would be interested to hear how you get on as I am hoping to help some friends of mine get out of an IVA.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

I don't deal with the IVA company any more, as I was paying £26 per month but only £8 was going to creditors. The Homebase debt I am paying £15 per month and A+L £1 per month.

A+L S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July. Statements rec'd 01 Sept. Letter requesting repayment of £4,979 sent 18/09 MCOL sent 15th Nov £6389.57. Cheque received £6425.54 4th Dec.:D

MBNA S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July, promised reply by 28th August. Cheque rec'd £250 31 Aug.:confused: . 2nd letter sent 7 sept for rest of charges to be returned. £243 rec'd 28th Oct:D

Can I ask how you got out of the IVA?

BANK CHARGES

Others

I started dealing directly with the creditors. As I won some bank charges back I was able to get settlements with them. MBNA offered me a settlement of £704 on a debt of£1800, so I couldn't pass that up.Homebase took payments of £1 a month but then threatened to sell it to a debt collector so I offered £15 per month.

Thanks Andrew. Think the one I am trying to sort is a little more complex, however it is worth knowing that it can be done.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Are you sure that you don't have a DMP? rather than a IVA? Thing is, F&FS wouldn't be possible in an IVA but would be possible on a DMP (where you pay a proportion of your income)

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I do know someone (from CAG) who managed to get out of an IVA by remortgaging and contacting the creditors directly with a FFS offer which was more beneficial to them.

According to my friends' IVA agreement which I am trying to help with, the creditors can vote to have the arrangement terminated. I am trying to find out as much as I can from others who have successfully escaped from an IVA.

BANK CHARGES

Others

That's interesting. the only problem is the IP fees would still be liable, and it might actually be cheaper just to go on with the IVA.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

yes, you can, and if the CCJ installments are low enough they might accept it. make sure you say the cash is raised by a relative.

• Haha 1

Surely paying a lump sum would be more beneficial than a pound a month!

start at 10% and negotiate from there. Do it over the phone initially. Say that you can't afford it if it goes over 50% and hang up. Wait until the last thursday or friday of the month.

Make sure you get written confirmation that it is a full & final settlement AND keep the records forever (literally, since CCJs are payable forever).

I've spoken to Howard Cohen and CL Finance - both are adamant that they will only accept 85% and not a penny less - will calling at the end of the month really make that much difference? They are also quotingthe debts as much greater than the amounts that Payplan have listed - they say in the past they have only given estimated amounts and to go forward I have to write and ask for confirmed amounts via payplan - can they do that?

it's a negotiation, vibrett, if they say 85% you say... sorry, no way blah blah will pay that much. What about 15%. Etc. If they try to change the amount you owe suddenly, I would suggest saying you will S.A.R. the original creditor in that case, and it will go to court.

Don't take no for an answer... be pushy. ask them why they will only accept 85%. Take control, and stay on the phone for as many hours as it takes;)

when you've almost come to an agreement, say sorry... i really can't afford that, and put the phone down. Wait and see if they ring back.

And yeah, it makes a BIG difference when you do this... they will be much more desperate to accept offers when coming up to their monthly target, like any sales person.

ok thanks - i hate having to play their games - I originally had debts of £45k and I've worked bloody hard at paying it all off but this last 3k has been awful - If I had it I'd pay the whole lot to be free of it but I only have upto £1,500 and as I say its really frustrating

You could put a deadline on the offer - my relation has said that if you don't accept a reasonable offer by xx date it is withdrawn.... That's the sort of tactics they use, so why not turn the tables?

BANK CHARGES

Others

Don't forget that simply being patient, and saying you can't afford £XXX and waiting for them to negotiate with you will help you get the deal you want. there really is no rush, as such.