Work Related Stress

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Im sorry to hear about your problem. I also work in a call centre at the moment and have to endure the same problems that you are complaining about. In addition, we have to work 10 hour shifts back shift and night shift so I know where you are coming from.

It comes over strongly in your post that you are still stressed. If phoning in sick is making you tearful then you are still suffering from stress.

Explain everything to your doctor as you have explained things here. It seems to me that you should look for another job and you may be able to do this while you are off sick. Once you have a sick line you wont have to phone in daily so the stress should get better. Perhaps this job is making you depressed too. Living up to their standards isnt easy. I am in the process of looking for another job. I have only been there since October and I have had food poisoning, followed by shingles. I was then told by my line manager that the next thing would be capability. Ive just finished a set of shifts and have slept for almost 2 days because I am so tired. I feel ill again. I told them I wanted to reduce my hours because the shifts were making me ill. They were supposed to be doing this but nothing has happened. I was then hit with new shift rotas last week which mean I will be working longer and doing 6 night shifts in a row - 10 hours each. I just cant do it and Im worried sick about it.

Life is far too short to be stressed, hence the reason I have decided to find something else.

I wish you every success.

Kind regards

Gemspan

Hi there

I know what you mean. You have to move on when things get as bad as making you feel ill with stress. Its just not worth it. there are plenty of jobs out there for conscientious employees. You just have to get out and look for them. I started looking yesterday because I finally realised that the job was making me ill. I have dogs and I love going out with them every day into the country. These daily walks were even becoming a chore because I was sooooooo tired. Thats when I knew things had come to a head.

Good luck at the doctor. I am sure he/she will be sympathetic. They must see this sort of thing every day now. We live in a very cruel, materialistic world and the only thing employers think about is profit. While I know that they obviously have to think like that, they have to consider the human element as well. After all, we are not machines and nobody is perfect!!!! Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Gemspan

HI Zaz

Im so glad your doctor signed you off. You will feel very differently now that you dont have to phone in every day to explain your sickness. Take this time to think about what you really want to do and make an action plan on how to achieve it.

I heard today from an agency and have an interview with them on Monday so here's hoping. I also have an appt with my doctor on Tuesday. Im going to speak to him about the effect these awful shifts are having on my life. Ive gone from somebody who doesnt really suffer from sickness to feeling like a wreck. I have told them that the shifts are too much and have asked for a reduction in hours. It seems that they have just ignored me.

Good luck

Best wishes

Gemspan

• 2 months later...

Hi there

I had an appt with OH too concerning my work. I found it very helpful. They are effectively there for you. Your employer has an obligation to ensure that working conditions etc., are not affecting your health and by giving you an appt at OH you are effectively receiving support from your employer.

Explain the circumstances surrounding your stress and that working part-time will mean that part of the stress is taken from you. Be truthful but remember that the report goes back to your employer.

Dont worry about it. This is a good thing!!!

Good luck

Annie

Hi

My advice would be either seek legal advice on this now, or speak to ACAS and get advice that way. ACAS are very good.

My understanding is, they are under no obligation to broach upon/discuss reasonable adjustments until a date of return to work has been discussed/agreed. However those reasonable adjustments are to assist your return in the first place. It's ridiculous to expect you to return to the situation and environment which caused you to fall ill in the first place and to then in effect have to negotiate part time hours.

They would be leaving themselves wide open to a an extremely costly personal injury action. If OH says you aren't fit to return they can't force you to return, again leaving themselves wide open if they tried.

Hang fire till OH gets back from holiday. Get another sick note in the interim if need be, speak with ACAS for advice in the meantime too but my primary advice to you here is to consider whether it's worth looking at remaining where you are or cutting your losses and getting the hell out instead for your own well being and for the sake of damage limitation in terms of potential issues explaining sick absence to prospective employers. The longer you're off sick the harder that length of absence is to explain.

Z

Your line manager is legally responsible to mange your stress if work related (and to be sympathetic if it’s from home and make adjustments in your favour). I work for a very large GOV owned Company and we do this. The worst thing is that after a period away you start to feel guilty and fell that you must return….well don’t….return when you are ready. Piperdee is correct…don’t engage in negotiations until you are fit for work. Any engagement from your line management should be on a ‘’’’how are you’ type setting, ‘how can we help’, remember they are not Dr's, as such they are not qualified to judge your fitness for work

Don’t feel pressurised by them as this will add to your stress, going forward

If you need any further help i will get my ACAS file out

Get well soon

1st Progeny

I have been following your thread and even though I dont have anything particular helpful to say - I just wanted to add my support.

Having suffered from depression and stress for 24 years, the most effective help I found is to do excercise. I know it seems a daft suggestion when all you want to do is hole up in bed, but if you can just make yourself get out and walk around the block and gradually increase this it really does help. Very often it is the thought that stops one, hence the reason I have three dogs, cos they dont like excuses. If I dont walk them they eat my house!!

SFx

• 3 weeks later...

Stick with it Zazen

My hubby has the unfortunate title of manager & he has to follow his guidelines set by his employers - He's Gov employed. He's caught up now with the probs he himself has to deal with.

Bottom line - he's now in a similar sit as he's been off for a few weeks, following surgery. His mind set is that he's still recovering. OH will back him up, regardless, when he is referred, as he's now hit above his trigger point. Hah.

I think that's a waste of money, but that's the way of the modern world - ie to be told what we already know! Common Sense is a rare thing!

Walk it through - if you are truely ill, the OH should back you up, they are there to give an impartial opinion to your employers but they are also there to listen to you.

Don't get too despondant.

D

• 2 weeks later...

I am going through a very similar thing at the moment though I am injured throgh an RTA the form that I was asked to sign was worded as follows

I do/do not give my permission for ********** of the above mentioned Company to obtain a full medical report from you on the present state of my health. I have been informed and understand my rights under The Access to Medical Reports Act 1988.

I have given permission but also stated to the doctor and employer that this is a one off occurance as I do not want my doctor harrased for updates every week !! exactly as you I was told it was to help me back to work !! and to understand my condition !!my employer worded their request as follows

Finally, may we say that you are free to decline to give us permission to approach your doctor for a report. However, we must warn you that in such circumstances we may then be forced to make a decision about your future employment with us without the benefit of a fully-informed medical opinion. This is a situation which we would view as unsatisfactory and would seek to avoid if at all possible.s

go with it you have nothing to hide its only relavent to your current illness if you stipulate it.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...