Pay Discrimination

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am writing on behalf of a female work colleague who feels she may have a case for discrimination but is'nt sure how to proceed:

This is centred around a friend , she is employed by the Bath Chronicle in a sales role.The lady in question has worked in this role for almost 5 years and in this time never received a pay rise, being on the same £13,000 p.a as when she started, since this time every member of staff doing the same job and every new employee doing the same job has been put on a higher rate of £14,500 p.a, despite repeated pleas to be treated equally and given parity my friend has been told to have 3 months to "prove" herself each time. As if 5 years service is not enough to be paid the same as a new starter doing the same job. This has put her under tremendous financial strain and the way they keep telling her to prove herself or be let go in 3 months seems almost bordering on constructive dismissall

This is a piece of employment law which I believe shows this is unlawful:

All workers have a right to receive equal pay

Women and men have a right to be paid equally for doing the same job or for doing work of equal value. The right to equal pay comes regardless of a worker’s type of contract and covers basic pay, bonuses, overtime, holiday pay, sick pay, performance related pay and occupational pensions.

I don't know if this is fully law and how she would proceed though, any help would be gratefully received.

She would start with a written, formal grievance (addressed to the HR manager). Initially this should be brief, and not too offensive. Something like:

Dear HR Manager,

It has recently come to my attention that I am paid a lower salary than a number of people doing similar work. I have raised this informally with my manager yet nothing has been done.

I would like to request that this is investigated, and that if you agree with me, for this issue to be corrected both going forwards and retrospectively.

Yours sincerely