Redundancy after 20 years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some advice as I am being made redundant after 20 years and have been offered the bog standard government payment and 3 months notice - nothing else - I have 2 more meetings - I obviously want more money any help appreciated -can provide more info if needed

i might be in your position soon

royal mail wants another 40000 staff to lose theire job

you have my concearns

out of intrest may i ask what is the goverment payment for every year worked

this is for my own benefit

thanks

I am in the same position as well (Oh the irony of it all...!).

Unfortunately, there is no obligation on any organisation to pay more than the statutory redundancy amount (£330 for every completed year's service for ages 22-40) plus your notice permitted by your T&Cs unless there is a specific clause in your contract. There is an incremental muliplier of 1.5 weeks for completed years after the age of 41. You may be able to negotiate a loyalty bonus I suppose, but I would imagine that Government schemes are required to be pretty transparent.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I'm sure the union will be aware of the facts, have you tryed discussing your concerns with your local rep, The union will be discussing terms and money with the company, in such cases the unions normally fight for what the employees are entitled, there wont sell you low/out, have a chat to them, you will/should get all the answers you need...

Postggi........ Royal mail cutting 40,000 postions ?? where you heard that, my brother has worked for RM for going on 16 years and my neighbour has just been employed by RM as a postman....Both know nothing about the possible 40,000 job losses you mentioned....

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

You can calculate your redundancy payment here:

Ready Reckoner for calculating the number of weeks' pay due - BERR

Scroll down the page and put the details in the boxes - it will then tell you what you will receive.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

the rules about enhanced redundancy after 41 are now questionable as it has good grounds for age discrimination. my gf who is 24 is shortly being made redundant from nhs and will get 4wks salary for every year plus 3months leiu pay.

when i got made redundant from same place 4 yrs ago at age of 24 i got 1.5wks but anyone over 41 got 4wks so it looks as if nhs has taken age discrimination to mean that everyone is entitled to same benefits as those over 41.... which is very good for us as gf gets a lot more redundancy now:-)

The rules regarding redundancy after 41 are there due to the fact that a lot of companies would only make younger people redundant if they didn't pay into a pension pot. I was made redundant at 46 from the NHS after 10 years service and no pension....

Also younger people are supposed to be more able to get employment than older ones - which is a load of tosh - I am now in a far better job than most people expected me to do and I am now 50.....

my gf who is 24 is shortly being made redundant from nhs and will get 4wks salary for every year plus 3months leiu pay.

when i got made redundant from same place 4 yrs ago at age of 24 i got 1.5wks but anyone over 41 got 4wks so it looks as if nhs has taken age discrimination to mean that everyone is entitled to same benefits as those over 41.... which is very good for us as gf gets a lot more redundancy now:-)

With every respect to your girlfriend, it is no wonder people accuse the government of wasting the huge extra sums of money being put into the NHS by the taxpayer. A civil servant gets 4 weeks money per year served yet your average public sector worker gets 1 week capped at only £330. I am due just over £6000 for over 19 years work or take an alternative position for £10,000 a year less :mad: How on earth does your GF qualify for 12 weeks pay in lieu of notice when she hasn't worked there for 12 years??!!

Our local NHS Chief Exec did a crap job, was forced to leave and got a backhander of £1/4 million. Scandalous.

Not having a go at you personally - just getting one or two frustrations off my chest! It's been a bad few days....

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

You have my sympathy Sidewinder, in the past when we have, regrettably, made redundancies due to lack of work caused by price pressure from the Far East, we have only made statutory redundancy payments as the business could not support anything more. It makes me so sad when people with good service walk away with a ridiculously small sum, yet public companies pay enhanced redundancy without batting an eyelid. It should be same rule for all.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

You're welcome Bevo - Sorry if the thread wandered a little! All the best with your negotiations.

You have my sympathy Sidewinder, in the past when we have, regrettably, made redundancies due to lack of work caused by price pressure from the Far East, we have only made statutory redundancy payments as the business could not support anything more. It makes me so sad when people with good service walk away with a ridiculously small sum, yet public companies pay enhanced redundancy without batting an eyelid. It should be same rule for all.

Thanks Ell-enn. That's exactly the point I was making. Redundancies are usually neccessary in order to preserve the business in some shape or form so there is rarely the money to go around to support good and loyal employees who are forced to leave. It is a little galling when those organisations financed by the public purse are able to make far more generous arrangements on a blanket basis. I don't for one minute begrudge the fact that somebody gets a hefty payout where this reflects the effect that the redundancy may have on that person's employment prospects. In the case above, (hopefully) it will be easier for mcfadwmc's girlfiend at 24 to secure employment even if this means starting a new career. For those of 40+ (:eek: ) as in my case, or worse still approaching 60 as with some of my staff, the effect is greater and it has to be tackled with only a limited payout to tide them over.

My company is restructuring under new ownership and relocating 75 miles away. I may yet be lucky, and be offered a viable alternative position, but it is unlikely to be one which uses fully the experience which I have built over the years. I will probably have a decision to make, yet for others the decision is already made - travelling is not an option so all we can do is to offer advice and support.

DONATE HERE