Scottich Power Gas and Elec prepayment meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

When I was told that I had to have a prepayment meter for the gas and elec(in debt you see) I thought this would mean that I would get a statement instead of a bill. I would pay something off each week towards the debt and pay for what I am using. I have received a bill from SP stating the amount outstanding minus what I have put into the meter and then below that an amount for gas that I have used and that has been added to the bill. I am confused, it seems that they are charging me twice, once when I feed the meter to pay for the debt and my own usage and then normally by a bloke reading the meter and generating a bill, can anyone explain,sorry if it sounds daft, but it really doesnt make sense to me!:)

Hello

When I was told that I had to have a prepayment meter for the gas and elec(in debt you see) I thought this would mean that I would get a statement instead of a bill. I would pay something off each week towards the debt and pay for what I am using. I have received a bill from SP stating the amount outstanding minus what I have put into the meter and then below that an amount for gas that I have used and that has been added to the bill. I am confused, it seems that they are charging me twice, once when I feed the meter to pay for the debt and my own usage and then normally by a bloke reading the meter and generating a bill, can anyone explain,sorry if it sounds daft, but it really doesnt make sense to me!:)

Prepay meters are a bugg**, they are charged at a higher rate for a start so imagine this if you can...You pay say £10 onto the meter, £4 (for example as i do not know the exact figure and it may vary from debt to debt) goes onto the debt, but the other £6 goes towards new gas or elec.

Does that make any sense? In other words everytime you feed the meter you are part paying the old debt and towards your actual useage...

Hope that makes some sense...

Penfold

• 9 months later...

Ok here is some sound advice from experience. I would suggest that if anyone is having difficulties paying any amount back then your supplier should be able to reduce the amount you pay back to a minimum of £2.50 if you are on benefits and provide evidence of this.

I would also say that any of you have been caught out by topping up on the wrong day and being left with no power, would suggest you call your supplier and ask them the day your meter collects the debt, this should help you manage your finances more effectivly. Hope this helps.

It sounds like a statement to me advising you of what you have used and what has come of the debt, although this should actually show on the meter itself. Have they have enclosed a payment slip and asking for payment now?