Help - Home Insurance Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this is my first posting, so go easy on me!

We've had problems with our drains, as have next door. Our neighbour called our Dyno Rod, who put a camera down our man hole cover and next doors man hole cover. Dyno Rod have advised that the pipes have dropped, which means all waste is backing up (which it has been). Dyno Rod have advised that due to it being a shared drain, we are both liable for the cost of repairs. In order to ensure one company completed the work, Dyno Rod operate a system where you fill in an authority form and they have all the dealing with the insurance company on our behalf. It now turns out that our insurance company - Abbey are refusing to have anything to do with Dyno Rods claims handling dept - who are a branch of solicitors. Abbey are saying to the solicitors that we have to contact Abbey ourselves and inform them we want to make a claim and they will then get one of their "approved" contractors to do the work. The problem is that works needs to be done on both sides, so surely it would be best to have one company do all the work! Anyway, do i have to go with one of Abbey's "approved" contractors, or am i within my rights to say i want Dyno Rod to do the work? This claims handling solicitors have wrote to Abbey quoting case law - Davies v National Fire and Marine Insurance Co of New Zealand [1891] AC 485, PC Lord Hobhouse and also Barrett Bros (Taxis) Ltd v Davies [1996] WLR 1334. Abbey are now refusing to have any correspondence or accept any calls from the solicitors. The solicitors are now saying we should get the work done by Dyno Rod and they will claim the costs back via court! Anyone have any similar problems, or anyone able to help before i ring Abbey. Thanks.

Abbey are, basically, being arses (i make no apology for this - I have worked for them in the past and know their incompetence). There is no justification for insisting that their own contractors are used (it is usually done so to minimise costs which is a principle of insurance, but not one of the Ten commandments). I think what has happened is that initial contcat has been made with someone in Abbey who thinks they are God (not unusual in a call centre) and it has gone on from there.

I would write again as a formal complaint (if you have not done so already) and then complain to the OFT once Abbey have sent their final response to you.

This, in my view, is completely unjustified and has no basis in practice. Does Abbey have any good reason> have they been given extortionate bills by DinoRod or experienced problems in the past with them? If not then they have no justification for their actions.

Your solicitors have, in my view, offered good advice. It is a risk as you may lose, but I would go with it personally.

Good luck.

One quote isnt always the cheapest as one would say, we all shop around for the best deal before getting any work started, even since you are going through your insurance, i might guess there have deals with firms whom deal with such problems as your facing, therefore get better value for the money there end up paying out, and DR might be too expensive hence not upon the insurance books of Abby....

Saying that Gyzmo has been employed by this Abby so would indeed go with what he has said, theres never better advice than someone whos from the horses mouth so to speak....

However if ur house fell down and ur neighbours would you let the same builder rebuild both houses without consulting your insurances 1st....

In your insurance small print, it might read that claims will be dealt with by third parties under Abbys instrutions.....Personnally i would let DR do the work, better than having C**p etc coming into the road or worse still been walked into your home, and let DR and Abby sort the money problem out... However under clauses in the small print you could be held responible for payment to DR should Abby refuse to payout upon the claim....i'd tred careful on this matter...Hope you get the work done soon to avoid un-nessary smells etc...

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Thanks for your responses. I've been in touch with Abbey, who state that Dyno Rod know full well that they won't accept a third party informing them of a claim, and Abbey are currently in the process of seeking legal advice. Abbey want to send out their own "approved" contractor to do CCTV survey, which i have agreed to, but advised that once this is done and they confirm what Dyno Rod said, that i then want Dyno Rod to do the work. They said they'll see what the results say.

Thanks

Hang on, have you actually reported the incident yourself to Abbey? Just read the first two lines and it appears from there that Dyno Rod are attempting to issue the claim. an insurance company can only accepted a notification from someone who is not the insured - it cannot process a claim.

As far as I am aware (at least when I worked in insurance) insurers could not refuse third party repair work without good cause - usually on the frounds of high prices or quality / time for repairs.