Please help-Advice on 'Global Debt Collections'

Tsia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please help anyone- I am close to tears after an awfull call lasting half an hour with a very rude employee of 'Global Debt Collections'

In short.. here is the story I have learned of today...

I came home today to find a letter addressed to me and an ex boyfriend from a 'Tower Investigations' telling me to call their number and quote a reference. The number was for Global Debt Collections and me being naive and honest wanting to sort anything.. rang the number.

Since I got out of a bad relationship in 2000.. I have always tried to be above board and cleared all debts that were outstanding.. and 5 years ago met a guy who is in the Police and have made efforts to get rid of anything debt wise hanging over me from the past. I sold my house, paid off things.. bought a buy to let and was happy... until today.

The 'man' from Global Debt collections kept asking me to verify that I and my ex did live at the old address he kept quoting to me.. yet when I mentioned that the D O B he had was wrong (and I never have my real date of birth in the call) he seemed to ignor me.. it was like he was not bothered with what I had to say..apart from verify it was one half of the addressees.

He said that the debt was from a JOINT account in both our names from the Lloyds TSB and the debt collection was passed to the Global Debt Collections company back in 2002 after Lloyds TSB had no luck with returned letters etc.

I explained to th man that around that time we split and I settled everything so nothing like this would come back to haunt me.. but it looks like my so called ex has run up an amount in this joint account that I thought I had closed.. at least I think thats whats happened but of course I cannot prove that. However.. what ever happened.. I stand at this position today..

Now.. this debt.. which is nearly 900 quid!!.. started at half that and been earning intrest ever since!

I am so riled that even though I bought a house in 2000 just after my split with the ex.. and I was on the council tax all the while in the last 7 years and findable.. that they leave it til 2008 to contact me about a debt I know nothing about!!!!!!! He assured me that the intrest was from Lloyds TSB not them so when I replied that I would claim back the charges he said it was not an option and had gone passed that!

Oh I am so upset... and was nearly screaming at the guy on the phone who seemed like he was rubbing his hands together now he realised he had found at least one of these named people on the letter.

I just dont know what to do! I havent seen the ex , aint got a clue where he is and never want to see him again- yet because I am the honest legal, legit one, I have to pay the amount, in full, on my own??? I was under the impression this account was no longer in existence.

This isnt right surely- especially when the company 'Global Debt Collections' by their own admission have had the debt account passed to them for recovery back in 2002!

The rude man said that he would be sending a letter demanding FULL payment of the debt or they will be taking further action.. I said that I would see him in court! but he didnt seem to care.. just replied with a scare monger tactic like "well it will cost you more in the court costs".. I STARTED TO MENTION THAT WHERE I LIVED AT THE MOMENT WASNT MY HOUSE.. IT WAS MY PARTNERS.. AND CANT HAVE DEBT COLLECTORS OR BALIFFS KNOCKING ON MY POLICEMANS DOOR! .. and was shouting by this point.. but he wasnt bothered.. said he was terminating the call and for me to expect the letter shortly.

I have been debt free (so I thought ) for 5 years.. and with my current partner for since 2003.. and every thing was rosie.. until today.

Oh I am so upset.. Anyone have any advice on what I should do??:sad: :sad: :x Can this company actually demand this?? Why didnt they find me back in 2002 when they first got hold of the debt?? I have always been on the council tax at the only 2 addresses I have lived at since 2000.. I just dont get it!

They havent even given me the option to settle it that 5 years ago!

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.. I will be looking back here constantly for your advice on the matter until my letter arrives.

Okay Tsia.

The first thing you need to do, is DO NOT TALK WITH THEM ON THE PHONE. This is a great big no,no as you have found out.

Dont worry as you have come to the right place for help and guidance.

There are many people here who will be able to help better than me and they should be along pretty soon.

First thing is, this debt!! looks at first glance to be statute barred, providing that you have not had any written contact or made a payment in the last six years or have a CCJ against you.

There are some letters that you can send, but by the time I have found them someone else will have posted them;)

Back soon.

Tip us a wink on my scales if you think I may have helped at all;)

Send them this.

You will need to edit to add your own details.

1 High Street,

Newtown,

Kent

R21 4RH

June 28, 2006

The Loan Company

Company House,

Church Street,

Newtown,

Kent,

R1 7HG

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No 4563210025897412

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other

Oh wow Tau!! You are BRILL

I never knew such laws existed! I am smiling again now.. Shall I send the letter after I recieve the demand letter from tghe company or send it straight away? I wanna print it off and rub it in that guys face to be honest! Ha!

I would wait for them to write to you first before writing to them, thatway you might have more detail of what they are on about.

As mentioned DO NOT TALK TO THEM ON THE PHONE just say everything in writing and put the phone down.

A lot of what is said over the phone would never be put in writing and you have no record of it either.

As firstwithit says, wait until you receive the next letter. Lets see what they plan to do next.

Probably be a threatogram of some sort.

I would wait for them to write to you first before writing to them, thatway you might have more detail of what they are on about.

As mentioned DO NOT TALK TO THEM ON THE PHONE just say everything in writing and put the phone down.

A lot of what is said over the phone would never be put in writing and you have no record of it either.

OK.. came home tonight.. and guess what.. theyve been ringing my house!!! Dont know why.. they said they'll call back at 6pm (in ten mins that is) So glad I saw your post.. I am prepared..

What ever do they want to talk to me for?? Trying to get me recorded admiting liability probably.. cos yesterday I was screaming I wasnt liable.

Oh well.."everything in writing" will be coming from my mouth v soon then... I'll report back when theyve rang! How very Dare they!

Tsia

Dont worry about them recording anything, that aint gonna happen. It would be too incrimminating for them.

Ok we will send them the telephone harrasment letter and also tell them to communicate in writing only, let them dig their own graves :D

Back soon.

Lets try again.

Adapt as required.

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded. (**Even if you don‘t yet have recording equipment!!**)

Yours faithfully,

Wait a bit to see if they keep on phoning you, then fire off the letter above.

Also add that you will only communicate in writing.

Well I waited and waited- they never phoned.. Bit dissapointed really..:rolleyes: as I wanted to say "only in writing" and slam the phone down on him like he did yesterday to me!

However.. Thanks Tau for this letter.. Certainly will use it if they try phoning again.. trouble is I cant just ignor it.. it comes through as 'call' like when partners brother rings from the states so have to pick up.

Anyways.. we'll see if I get a letter through the post or any more calls.:mad:

Just sit back and let them make the next move.

If they ring any more, make a note of the time and date in a little pad or such like.

Highley unlikely that they will send the men in black round yet, if at all.

I wouldnt be buying any extra cakes or biccies though.

Hmm cakes and biccies, I might just pop round myself :D

If by any chance they do turn up on your doorstep, they have absolutely no legal powers at all. Just tell them to go away through the letter box or window. If they refuse, phone the police and tell them that there may be a breach of the peace.

Guess what, we have a letter for them as well:)

I'll not wear the black suit, mines tea or coffee, with just one sweetener and milk.

I'll have the red rose between my teeth just for you.:D

Hi TSIA,

Just subbing to see how things go.

As you have found out already, these imbeciles are nothing but parassites who prey on the weak and vulnerable. They will fill you with all sorts of crap and will try to bully you into submission and paying what you can`t afford or don`t even owe.

Just play them at their own game. If you do answer their call just tell them EXACTLY where to go, in the words of your choice. They can`t do you for verbal abuse if they phone you.

If one of their doorman come round for a vist, which he won`t because they are full of ****, then ask if he`s come to fix the lock. If he say`s he`s a DCA tell him to **** off. You could set the dogs on him then drag his mouldy carcuss off to the local farm for the pig to eat. No one will ever find him. Heh heh. I have to put allegedly, or course.

As long as you just remember they are bullies, then you`ll be fine. We`ve all had it on here. Your in good hands.

Regards

N.P

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

OK OK.... Partner came home with letter postman gave him as he was leaving for work.. For Me and my EX! from... Global.. it reads....

We hereby give you notice that Lloyds TSB Bank plc has assigned to Global Debt Recovery Ltd on 22nd December 2006 all of the Lloyds TSB's right, title and intrest in, to and under the above detailed account.

Global then assinged to FV-1 Inc on 22nd December all of Globals right, title and intrest in, to and under the above detailed account.

We have been appointed by FV-1 to administer the account. As a result of this assignment the full amount is now due to FV-1. You should not make any payment to Lloyds TSB in respect of the account as it will take longer to process the payment and credit it to your account with FV-1.

You should contact this office immediately so we can agree payment terms with you.

FV-1 has the same rights as did Lloyds TSB and Global to give information to credit referencing agencies about the personal debt you owe in respect of this account if;

-you have fallen behind with your payments

-the amount owed is not in dispute

-you have not made proposals we are satisfied with for repaying the debt following this formal demand by FV-1 for *880.58 the amount due on your account. (* i havent a pound sign on my keyboard)

Please do not ignor this letter

We look forward to hearing from you.

Signed by Global Debt recovery on behalf of of FV-1, Inc.

(printed signiture)

SO NOW WHAT?? Whats all the 22nd December 2006 nonsense? this account was closed by Lloyds in 2000 apparently.. and Global man told me they had it since 2002! I am so confused and getting scared again now.

Can I still use that letter Tau gave me on this thread?? :? :Cry:

No need to get scared Tsia.

All this letter is doing, is informing you that FV-1 now own the debt and all its rights and duties. Basically its been sold again.

I think that we should now send them the statute barred letter and take it from there.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a phantom payment of a couple of pounds being paid into the account several years ago. Dont worry as they have to prove that you made the payments and not you to prove that you didnt make them.

Send it at least recorded delivery, so that you have proof of postage and a signature when its delivered. Keep a copy for your files as well.

Dont worry things will turn out Ok.

Hang onto the letter that says the account was closed in 2000 as well.

• Haha 1

I havent got a letter saying the account was closed in 2000.. thats just what Global told me.. before 2 days ago I didnt even know this outstanding amount existed!

Can I contact Lloyds TSB and ask them for clarification of when it was closed? maybe they will send me proof of the account closure date.

confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They tried ringing again for me today.. got told that I would be back after 6 but havent tried calling again yet.. What the hell do they want? I have got their poxy letter! what else could they possibly try?

Ok, send them the stat barred letter and the telephone harrasment one too.

Thats what they will be trying to do, confuse you. But we wont let that happen will we. No course we wont. They are after you phoning them, so that you will agree to start paying them more than you could afford.

Send tham the stat barred letter tomorrow and then lets wait and see. I wouldnt be surprised to see them get shot of the so called debt back to wence it came.

Get the letter in the post in the morning and then sit back and relax for a few days, you deserve it.

If they keep ringing over the weekend and you answer the phone, feel free to tell them to crawl back under the stone they came from. Or words to that effect.

There will be someone here all over the weekend, so if you have anymore questions, then someone will be here to answer them.

Back soon.