memoryman V HSBC (round 1 !!!)

memoryman00
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

DICK TURPIN WORE A MASK WHEN HE ROBBED PEOPLE, SO WHY DON"T HSBC ??:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now that's off my chest, great job to everyone involved with the site. !!

I'm taking the plunge with action against HSBC.

I've managed to a acquire my last 6 years staements through the internet, and was just wondering if once i've worked out the scandolous amount that the bank has charged me, should i go straight to sending the part where i can request my money back ?

Or do i need to start the whole process by sending a letter to the bank requesting my Data Protection Act letter requesting my statements for the last 6 years.

Hope that's not confusing !!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have already checked your statements for how much they xxxxx from you then you can skip the data protection bit.

EDITED - Please refrain from the use of language that may be libelous. This can have repercussions for our site, as well as the user.

Prelim Letter sent to HSBC - 30th June 2006

HSBCs Deadline to respond - 14th July 2006

Just a quick question,

While i've been ading up the charges i noticed that my bank was charging me interest aswell. Not sure why to be honest ????

Do i add that to my amount in the charges ?

Also, what's the best way to find out what the charges are for,

e.g- when a cheque has bounced, it's always followed by a £30 charge, but i also have TOTAL CHARGES on there aswell

Is that all my monthly charges, minus something like a bounced cheque or direct debit not going through?

Sorry to be a pain, but it's taking a while going through all of my statements and quite shocked at the amount so far.

Thanks

the total charges relates to non one-off fees i.e. if you went overdrawn for 2 days they would charge you per day, and call this total charges on your statement, they do not add up all the charges , they are all seperate and itemised,

you can reclaim the interest aswell but its a bit tricky and tbh you wont get a lot of money at all

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Hey maverick,

Cool, thanks for that.

Will keep plugging away at the spreadsheet.

Just one quickie, where can i find the best address and email address to send the letters off too ?

The website (HSBC one) wasn't too helpful and neither was the person on the end of the phone at the call centre

Phil Beaumont

Senior Service Quality Officer

Arlington Business Centre,

Milshaw Park Lane,

Leeds

Ls11 Opp

• Confused 1

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Top stuff, maverick. You're a star.

How about another for the hat-trick (LOL)

In a few of my statements i've come across the term WITHDRAWN and followed by a large sum being taken out of my account.

Any chance you know what that means ?

The only thing i can think it's a withdrawl that i've made myself, but not too sure.

Thought i'd just check before i go ahead and add it to my total.

Thanks again

Right,

It's really late and i've almost finished going through all my statements.

I'M IN SHOCK !!!!!!!!

I could buy a new car with the money i've been charged.

As i embark on my journey, should i send my Preliminary Approach letter to just Phil Beaumont, or shoul i also send it to Alan Petty too ? I figured i'll get a reponse at least of one of them.

And should i include a breakdown of the charges now or in the LBA letter ?

I don't mean to keep asking obvious questions but i'm just so surprised that i'm able to do this.

I don't have a problem with this, like most, about being charged. It's the amount that astounds me.

Anyway, will keep you all posted as i progress with this.

First letter ready to go for tomorrow.

HERE GOES !!!!!

p.s --- Once again, top work by all involved in this site.

ok just send it to phil, not sure if alan works there anymore, send your charges summary with your preliminary letter, it will save time later, oh and

"Today 04:31 memoryman00"

damn, dont you like sleep? :D

Hi,

I have just filed a claim against the HSBC using the online service. I received a reply to my first letter to the HSBC which offered me £75 "as a gesture of goodwill". I am soooo nervous but we all have to show them we won't be bled dry anymore.

Good Luck!

would you like to start your own thread? so that if you have any questions they can be answered there? :)

ok just send it to phil, not sure if alan works there anymore, send your charges summary with your preliminary letter, it will save time later, oh and

"Today 04:31 memoryman00"

damn, dont you like sleep? :D

That's us musicians for you HAHAHA !!

Just wondered, keep finding some £1 charges, is it worth including those in my breakdown and squeeze every last penny out of them, or should i just leave those one's out ???

A puzzler !!

the £1 charges are for using a cash machine , so you cant claim these back

.... AND SO IT BEGINS !!!!!!!!!!

Just sent my "preliminary approach" letter to claim back my charges.

After a night in front of my computer, i discovered that they've charged me just over £3000 in charges. About £500 of that was interest on the charges !!

Looking forward to the journey ahead that awaits me

you can reclaim the interest aswell but its a bit tricky and tbh you wont get a lot of money at all

You know Ive been thinking about this and I reckon we should all be reclaiming interest charged as well simply because of the fact of the numbers involved here.

Obviously £1 or £2 in interest charged isnt a lot BUT when they are charging tens or hundreds of thousands of people then it all starts to add up, quite a nice little earner for the chairmans p1ss fund really.

Mailman

You know Ive been thinking about this and I reckon we should all be reclaiming interest charged as well simply because of the fact of the numbers involved here.

Obviously £1 or £2 in interest charged isnt a lot BUT when they are charging tens or hundreds of thousands of people then it all starts to add up, quite a nice little earner for the chairmans p1ss fund really.

Mailman

i agree that collectively its a lot of money , but individually its not that much, besides any errors in calculation on our part may give the bank a good enough reason to think they can have the claim thrown out

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

Well, their 14 day's has come and gone, not a dickie in the post and so now it's LBA time. OLE !!!!!

I AM NOW QUITE PARANOID THAT THEY HAVE NOT RESPONDED :-x !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a kinda weird way, i was quite looking forward to posting it. True, i'd rather that they returned the money, but it's a nice feeling that i've just threatened them with legal action if they don't respond.

And if it goes to a small claims court, then there's the added incentive of an extra 8%. SWEET !!!!!!

In the last 2 weeks from when i started the process, it's been really interesting to see how other people's cases have developed.

Not too sure what other's think, but, if i receive an offer, should i try and hold out for a full settlement ?:?:

Also, i've read the threads about cases being "stayed", i guess my concern is that are the banks paying out in full, if it's below a certain amount ? :?:

I'm a tad worried because my claim is just a tad over £3000.:o

Whether to accept any offer is your decision alone. Holding out seems to be producing the full amount. HSBC seems to be offering between 70 and 90% of the claim. I suspect this isn't random but based on something.

I'm claiming just short of £4000 and will be holding out for the full amount; I'm fully prepared to go to court. In fact, I'd love a hearing as I have studied contract law in the past; I also have a good defence to their claim that the charges aren't penalties but a charge for service - I don't think they have a leg to stand on. :)

Some cases were stayed (only in certain courts) because of a claim against Lloyds going to the Mercantile Court which may have set legal precedent; however, this was settled out of court and all claims seem to be going through at the moment.

Whether to accept any offer is your decision alone. Holding out seems to be producing the full amount. HSBC seems to be offering between 70 and 90% of the claim. I suspect this isn't random but based on something.

I'm claiming just short of £4000 and will be holding out for the full amount; I'm fully prepared to go to court. In fact, I'd love a hearing as I have studied contract law in the past; I also have a good defence to their claim that the charges aren't penalties but a charge for service - I don't think they have a leg to stand on. :)

Some cases were stayed (only in certain courts) because of a claim against Lloyds going to the Mercantile Court which may have set legal precedent; however, this was settled out of court and all claims seem to be going through at the moment.

same here im claiming 4,418.00 and im prepared to go all the way as well

• Confused 1

WHEN THE WORLD GETS IN MY FACE I SAY HAVE A NICE DAY :lol:

MY SUCCESSESS

HSBC £5,735.35 :D

MUM IN LAW £2112.00 WIN FROM HALIFAX :grin:

MUM £3580.00 WIN FROM NatWest :grin:

AUNTIE 2 NATWEST WINS £1865.00 AND £2541.00

EQUITA BAILIFFS £293.00 REFUND :grin:

MBNA £871.16 WON WITH CI AT 24.49%

WELCOME FINANCE CHARGES £600 APPROX didnt even need letter lol

CAP ONE WON WITH CI AT 29.9% £994.26

CLAIMS ON THE GO AT MO

mbna ppi

NatWest cc at mcol (ppi next)

welcome ppi

first response charges

IF I HAVE HELPED IN ANY WAY HIT THE SCALES IN BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THANK YOU ;)

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!

Just got home for the gym, AND POSTING MY LBA, HAHAHAHA!!! to find a letter from HSBC offering me £1995.00.I was asking for £3047.67

The rest was made up in interest.

What confuses me is that in the letter, they've said that i only asked for £2450.00 !!

Semms like they've missed off the interest. But i've noticed that others have had this problem on other posts. Interesting tactic :o :o

They also say, QUOTE "... if your claim for a refund proceeded to Court, we therefore believe we would be successfully resist any legal challenge in relation to those fees."

"HSBC is, however mindful of the management time and irrecoverable costs that it may incur in relation to such a claim. For those commercial reasons alone, AND WITHOUT ANY ADMISSION OF LIABILITY WHATSOEVER ( highlited for your pleasure:D ), HSBC is prepared to make a payment to you in the sum of £1995.00 representing the charges applied in full and final settlement"

So, as far as i can see, they're positive that they'd win if it went to court but, are worried of the fee's that they have to pay out to solicitors.

I'm not sure what to do. If they'd actually offered me the £2450.00 (which doesn't include the charges), my reply would be a totally different one.

Basically i'll accept £2450.00 but not sure how to go about it at this stage.

Should i send my own letter ?

HELP !!!!!!!!!!