memoryman V HSBC (round 1 !!!)

memoryman00
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That's a standard letter. No-one in their right mind would admit liability in an out of court settlement, so I would be surprised if that bit wasn't there. The rest just justifies their making of an offer without admission of liability.

It's entirely up to you.

Personally I'd continue with the timetable, but only you can decide what to do.

Is there a chance you've miscalculated the total charges, and they've adjusted it after totalling it themselves?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a standard letter. No-one in their right mind would admit liability in an out of court settlement, so I would be surprised if that bit wasn't there. The rest just justifies their making of an offer without admission of liability.

It's entirely up to you.

Personally I'd continue with the timetable, but only you can decide what to do.

Is there a chance you've miscalculated the total charges, and they've adjusted it after totalling it themselves?

I think you're right. I think i have had a bit of a mis-calculation.

The problem is i've just sent my LBA off to them early this morning, so not sure whether i should wait for a reply to that. If nothing, then, obviously, i'm off to court.

But i don't want to exceed 10 working days limit ( 14 days i take it ) and then look like a fool for not sending back the first letter that they have sent me or even worse, looking greedy if it goes to court

Guest Lueeze

so £2450 is the charges before interest?

I think you have over estimated your interest hugely. i have a HSBC account and even when I was in unauthorised overdraft the charges were not much. Even then you cant just add all the interest charges on as only a small % applies to the charges and not your spending balance.

Mine personally were so small i left them and Im claiming £3498 in charges.

Also the 8% statutory interest is not added till you file in court.

Anyway good luck

Lou xxx

so £2450 is the charges before interest?

I think you have over estimated your interest hugely. i have a HSBC account and even when I was in unauthorised overdraft the charges were not much. Even then you cant just add all the interest charges on as only a small % applies to the charges and not your spending balance.

Mine personally were so small i left them and Im claiming £3498 in charges.

Also the 8% statutory interest is not added till you file in court.

Anyway good luck

Lou xxx

Cheers Lou,

I realise now where i made bit of a cock-up.

Do you think that will affect my case?

I realise now where i made bit of a cock-up.

Anything you want to share? (I've got a small bet on what you did ;))

I've used Vamp's spreadsheet (1st worksheet) to calculate my claim - it's amazing how much difference a figure in the 'Previous Charges' field makes to the reclaimable interest figure.

Anything you want to share? (I've got a small bet on what you did ;))

I've used Vamp's spreadsheet (1st worksheet) to calculate my claim - it's amazing how much difference a figure in the 'Previous Charges' field makes to the reclaimable interest figure.

Would've been great if they hadn't noticed and just paid out :o

Well, here's the next letter i'n going to send in reply to their offer.

Should i send back the letter that want me to sign saying i accept or disagree ??

here it is .....

Colin Langdale

Senior Service Quality Team

Arlington Business Centre,

Milshaw Park Lane,

Leeds

Ls11 Opp

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr Langdale. ,

Thank you for your offer of £1995.00, on 18/07/06 as full settlement of my claim for £2464.95.

I wish to accept your offer of £1995.00 as an installment towards the full amount owing, £2464.95.

Only when the £2464.95 is paid in full will I cease my court action against HSBC.

If paid in full I will not pursue the additional charges added to my account and accrued interest, as an act of goodwill.

Furthermore, unless this matter is resolved to my satisfaction before the 4th July 2006 as per my stated timetable, I will proceed to issue a claim for recovery of this sum in the courts, plus costs, plus £532.72 in interest as allowed under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year.

I am entirely confident that the charges imposed by HSBC are completely unreasonable & having been deemed unlawful by the OFT, a court would agree with this statement.

Yours faithfully,

i've now ammended the figure after my mis-calculation, using the spreadsheets

is this alirght ?

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH !!!!

Just been on the royal mail website and ther is sill no trace of LBA being delivered.

This is a bit of a pain as i've had an offer from them.

Not what i was looking for, but not the kind of money to turn away wwhen i have a few bills that need paying ( and a holiday !!!!!)

Not sure whether to just go ahead with the "Thanks, but i still want the rest....." letter and try chasing up this LBA ???

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH !!!!

There is some detail for filling in the Particulars of claim, but these are really aimed at doing it in person at your local county court. MCOL only allows limited characters and lines of text, so is more restrictive for claimants.

Which is your preference?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Right, here's where i've got to with my claim-

July 3- Prelimanary Approach sent

July 18- LBA sent

July 19 - PARTIAL OFFER RECEIVED

July 24- Offer accepted as part payment

July 27 - Letter from HSBC saying " sorry but your'e not gettin nothing back.."

So, i received an offer but have decide to pursue the whole amount.

I'm about to fill in the MCOL tomorrow but am worried about being offered an amount so early on and now taking them to court :confused: :confused:

I'm guessing the last letter i received was in response to my LBA but as i've partially accepted an offer, can i still proceed with my claim?:?:

I'm a bit worried that i've jepordised my case by not fully accepting the offer AND ALSO i initially made a mistake with the amount with my first letter, but ammended it from the LBA.

Here's my thread --

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/13383-memoryman-hsbc-round-1-a.html?highlight=memoryman

3 threads merged. Please now stick to this one for updates.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Good luck - hope you hear soon! Reading through your notes has made us more determined than ever.

Dinahjl :grin:

HSBC - 2 Accounts - owe us £5.8K

10 Aug offer received of 50% owed on smaller account. We Replied and REJECTED offer

11 Aug 2nd offer made on same account - £500 higher! REJECTED AGAIN

18 AugMoneyclaim submitted for £3848 on main account. ACKNOWLEDGED 23 Aug.

30 Aug Moneclaim prepared for 2nd acc £2389.56

9 Sept RECEIVED OFFER IN FULL SETTLEMENT OF £6134.30:-D :-D :-D

If you have found my advice or comments helpful - please rate them by using the scales above. THANK YOU:)

justed sbmitted the claim now.

i guess it won't get processed until monday but do i need to let any of the mods know about this ???

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH !!!!!

ALSO JUST REALISED I SAID THAT THIS INFRINGES MY HUMAN RIGHTS, HAVE I MADE ANOTHER MISTAKE ????

It doesn't come under a human rights issue - no.

I don't think it'd be major thing - give moneyclaim a call on Monday before 10am and tell them you made a small error and what it was and they should tell you if you need to withdraw and resubmit the claim. I don't think so but its always best to double check.

Monday morning arrived and i didn't wake up to call MCOL but it's been issued today!!!!

WOOOOO HOOOOOO !!!!!!

Hope it goes well !:eek:

Top stuff, maverick. You're a star.

How about another for the hat-trick (LOL)

In a few of my statements i've come across the term WITHDRAWN and followed by a large sum being taken out of my account.

Any chance you know what that means ?

The only thing i can think it's a withdrawl that i've made myself, but not too sure.

Thought i'd just check before i go ahead and add it to my total.

Thanks again

Hello memoryman,

I had loads of WITHDRAWN entries on my statements, which, like you I assumed were my over the counter withdrawals. Thing is though, I had one which apparently took place after a ATM withdrawal at 18.32 hrs on a Friday evening.

When I phoned HSBC to query this, they said someone would ring me back to explain. That was 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting.

I'm tempted to claim it as the bank don't seem to know what this is about either. Did you include these figures in your claim? If not, did anyone from the bank confirm exactly what they were about?:? :)