• Tweets

• I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
    • quite honestly id email shiply CEO with that crime ref number and state you will be taking this to court, for the full sum of your losses, if it is not resolved ASAP. should that be necessary then i WILL be naming Shiply as the defendant. this can be avoided should the information upon whom the courier was and their current new company contact details, as the present is simply LONDON VIRTUAL OFFICES  is a company registered there and there's a bunch of other invisible companies so clearly just a mail address   
    • If it doesn’t sell easily : what they can get at an auction becomes fair market price, which may not realise what you are hoping.
    • Thank you. The receiver issue is a rabbit hole I don't think I'm going to enjoy going down. These people seem so protected. And I don't understand how or why?  Fair market value seems to be ever shifting and contentious.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

bought a car saturday afternoon no tax supplyed are you able to drive it around?

leroist
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Look conspiracy up in the dictionary.

I know what the word means, my point was that in English law all the offences I know of are conspiracy to do something "conspiracy to defraud" "conspiracy to pervert the course of justice" etc.

What offence are you suggesting that such a trader could be guilty of?

The fact of allowing the buyer to drive off knowing that the vehicle is either unroadworthy or unlicenced is sufficient to establish an offence on the part of the dealer.

Again, can you suggest precisely what offence could have been committed, and how the dealer could have physically prevented the above happening? What if the seller assured the dealer that the car was going to be driven straight to an MOT centre? I can just imagine you trying to enforce this at your local Arthur Daly yard, or auction house for that matter!

A private seller may, in so many words claim the vehicle is 'fit for purpose' but if it isn't glaringly obvious at the time of purchase that it isn't then there is no liability on the private seller whatsoever.

For a claim to succeed the onus would be on the private buyer to prove the private seller knew of the fault.

If the buyer is a dealer then they are stuffed no matter what is wrong with the vehicle as they are classed by the Courts as having 'special knowledge' & should have spotted the fault at the time of purchase

Do you state all the above as a lawyer, or as an enthusiastic amateur? Assuming the latter, then this link has a bit about buying a car privately or from a dealer Car Buyers Guide - Advice : know your rights when buying a new car - The AA that should help other readers.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes fraid you don't

If a dealer allows a buyer to drive on the public highway with an unroadworthy or unlicenced vehicle that he has sold he commits the offence of conspiracy

If the buyer is in an accident caused by that unroadworhyness or is indeed uninsured at the time of leaving the dealer and collides with another they are also guilty of not only the criminal offence of conspiracy but are also liable in civil law for any loss or damage caused by that buyer.

Sorry, I disagree. Who is the trader conspiring with? Conspiracy is a very serious issue so please back up these comments with relevant case law.

When I sell vehicles there is no legal requirement on me to check whether the purchaser is insured or even has a driving licence. Remember, it is no longer my property and the owner is free to do what he likes with it. If you don't agree please quote relevant law.

Statutory conspiracy is defined by section 1 of the criminal law act 1977

Under section 1(1) if a person agrees with any other person or persons that a course of conduct shall be pursued which, if the agreement is carried out in accordance with their

intentions, either -

(a) will necessarily amount to or involve the commission of any offence or offences by one or more of the parties to the agreement, or

(b) would do so but for the existence of facts which render the commission of the offence or any of the offences impossible,

He is guilty of conspiracy to commit the offence or offences in question.

Accordingly, it is an offence to agree to commit any criminal offence even one which is tryable only summarily. However, by section 4 a conspiracy to commit a summary only offence can only be prosecuted by or with the consent of the director of public prosecutions.

define what a conspiracy is

"IF" there were to be any offences on the part of the dealer it would be use cause or permit - In this case permit. But then you would have to prove that the dealer permitted the new owner to drive on the public highway with an unlicenced/unroadworthy vehicle. I have never heard of such a prosecution but I am sure there will be

Not that you will "EVER" get a prosecuting authority to proceed with such an event.

gwc1000 - Given that you sell over 600 vehicles a year I would class you as an established and reputable car dealer. If you were of the "Arthur Daly" type and selling "dodgy motors" then it is likely to be a means to an end ;)

gwc1000 - Given that you sell over 600 vehicles a year I would class you as an established and reputable car dealer...
Quantity does NOT equate to Quality!

...Nor does ONE years sale figures equate to past, or future sales performance!...;)

...If you were of the "Arthur Daly" type and selling "dodgy motors" then it is likely to be a means to an end ;)
Hypothetically speaking of course, would 600 'Cut + Shunt' motors NOT add up to ONLY 300 (...max!) dodgey sales??...:confused:

I once slept with 100 Babes in only ONE evening...Would U care to 'prove' me wrong??...:)

gwc1000 - Given that you sell over 600 vehicles a year I would class you as an established and reputable car dealer. If you were of the "Arthur Daly" type and selling "dodgy motors" then it is likely to be a means to an end ;)

I just like being able to sleep peacefully at night.

JonCris:

Even if it were possible to prosecute a conspiracy case (which I feel would be impossible) the prosecution would not be exclusive to motor traders. It would apply to everyone.

Hypothetically speaking of course, would 600 'Cut + Shunt' motors NOT add up to ONLY 300 (...max!) dodgey sales??...:confused:
Hilarious :lol::lol:

But I guess the 30 years he has been around helps :lol:

I just like being able to sleep peacefully at night.

JonCris:

Even if it were possible to prosecute a conspiracy case (which I feel would be impossible) the prosecution would not be exclusive to motor traders. It would apply to everyone.

Prosecute - Wouldn't even get a crime a number under these circumstances

Statutory conspiracy is defined by section 1 of the criminal law act 1977

Under section 1(1) if a person agrees with any other person or persons that a course of conduct shall be pursued which, if the agreement is carried out in accordance with their

intentions, either -

(a) will necessarily amount to or involve the commission of any offence or offences by one or more of the parties to the agreement, or

(b) would do so but for the existence of facts which render the commission of the offence or any of the offences impossible,

He is guilty of conspiracy to commit the offence or offences in question.

Accordingly, it is an offence to agree to commit any criminal offence even one which is tryable only summarily. However, by section 4 a conspiracy to commit a summary only offence can only be prosecuted by or with the consent of the director of public prosecutions.

We have car dealers on here admitting that they would allow a purchaser to 'knowingly' drive off in an unroadworthy or unlicenced vehicle.

We have car dealers on here admitting that they would allow a purchaser to 'knowingly' drive off in an unroadworthy or unlicenced vehicle.

At least 2 dealers (if memory of earlier posts is correct). Personally I have bought cars, or been with some-one else buying a car, with the full range of dealers and never have I seen a dealer allow the car to be taken without valid tax, insurance and MOT.

I certainly would not buy any car from a dealer who did not insist on MOT/Tax/Insurance as I would seriously wonder about the state of the car itself.

The DVLA are getting more strict on untaxed vehicles, and as a matter of fact the easiest prosecution is always going to be a dealer. Yes it may not happen now but how long is that really going to last?

Where in any of my posts did I say I was willing to sell an unroadworthy vehicle? I never mentioned anything about unroadworthy cars. I agree as a trader I am committing an offence if I sell an unroadworthy car. In fact I am even committing an offence even if I were just to display a car with a bald tyre for sale. The point I am making is if after I have taken the money for a roadworthy car the property is the purchaser's and I cannot be held liable for what he does with it. Otherwise, when does my responsibility end? In an hour, tomorrow or next week or even next year? But as I questioned earlier, why would an offence only be restricted to a sale from a trader? Are you saying if you yourself sold a vehicle that had no RFL you are exempt? Road tax laws apply to us all.

You also have not answered my points about your assertion that I would be guilty of conspiracy. A conspiracy has to be two or more. Perhaps people who buy cars should take responsibility for their own actions.

I do like a good legal argument

So on that basis why don't we do a mock case

The prosecution make a case for a conspiracy

The defence make out a case for the trial

Then we can see some legal arguments and where it could go

This is only for fun but may have a good learning curve attached to it and some case law may come out in the process ;-)

What do you think?

At least 2 dealers (if memory of earlier posts is correct).

Well, I think your memory serves you incorrectly. I haven't seen any motor trader post that he is willing to sell an unroadworthy vehicle.

I find these comments insinuating it is unthinkable that a trader would sell a vehicle without a current RFL an attempt to win an argument by slurring the other party as opposed to putting forward concrete evidence. It isn't unlawful.

If you yourself went to a Motor Car Auction today and purchased a vehicle which had no V5, MoT or tax, the auction company would NOT enquire if you had insurance or how you intended to move the vehicle. The onus is on you. I can assure you British Car Auctions have their own legal team and they operate strictly within the law. Checking their stock list today they are holding 12,982 vehicles for sale and I don't think they would take the risk of thousands of Court cases.

As I invited earlier, if you could quote any case law,please post it.

I certainly would not buy any car from a dealer who did not insist on MOT/Tax/Insurance as I would seriously wonder about the state of the car itself.

So, if a customer of mine himself chooses to break the law by driving an untaxed vehicle, my cars must be rubbish? I am at fault, not him? I give up.

So, if a customer of mine himself chooses to break the law by driving an untaxed vehicle, my cars must be rubbish? I am at fault, not him? I give up.

You may not in so many words be saying that you sell unroadworthy vehicles but you have implied you will as you state that once the money is taken the vehicle is the buyers responsibility to do with what they which.

Also any insurer will class an unlicenced vehicle as unroadworthy even if there are no actual mechanical defaults & as a consquence will only pay for 3rd party damage

If you don't think you have a 'duty of care' after releasing a sold vehicle, you know at the time, is unlicened or uninsured then I'm afraid one day your in for a shock when things go wrong for your recent purchaser who has an accident not long after leaving your premises

Or worse gets his very recent purchase snatched & crushed by the police.

If in doubt and intend to continue to act as you have indicated I strongly suggest your consult your solicitor

...Also any insurer will class an unlicenced vehicle as unroadworthy even if there are no actual mechanical defaults & as a consquence will only pay for 3rd party damage...
That is what I was inferring when another Poster stated that it was an 'Urban Myth'...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1295293.html

I did not say your cars are rubbish, what I was saying is that your service to me and other roadusers is sub-standard to what I have encountered before (ie you are stating you are unconcerned with tax/insurance) so I would be wary over your attention to the cars for sale, which ultimately would lose you a sale. Also as a customer, I would expect a valid MOT to come with the car.

You may not in so many words be saying that you sell unroadworthy vehicles but you have implied you will as you state that once the money is taken the vehicle is the buyers responsibility to do with what they which.

Also any insurer will class an unlicenced vehicle as unroadworthy even if there are no actual mechanical defaults & as a consquence will only pay for 3rd party damage

If you don't think you have a 'duty of care' after releasing a sold vehicle, you know at the time, is unlicened or uninsured then I'm afraid one day your in for a shock when things go wrong for your recent purchaser who has an accident not long after leaving your premises

Or worse gets his very recent purchase snatched & crushed by the police.

If in doubt and intend to continue to act as you have indicated I strongly suggest your consult your solicitor

At no point have I implied I am willing to sell an unroadworthy vehicle. You said it not me. All of my cars are checked thoroughly (including those I send to auction) so I have no worries there. So, now (according to you) an untaxed car is unroadworthy? So anybody driving an untaxed car could be prosecuted for using an unroadworthy vehicle? Worse still if it is one of mine I could be prosecuted not only for an unroadworthy car but also go to prison for conspiracy for conspiring with myself?

I see you have totally ignored my comments about BCA, are you suggesting they are guilty of selling thousands of unroadworthy vehicles each week? Please reply. I also note you have gone particularly quiet about your view I am guilty of conspiracy. Could you please post your legal reasoning for the conspiracy charge?

I suggest you consult a solicitor, so you might start to understand where you are going wrong.

I did not say your cars are rubbish, what I was saying is that your service to me and other roadusers is sub-standard to what I have encountered before (ie you are stating you are unconcerned with tax/insurance) so I would be wary over your attention to the cars for sale, which ultimately would lose you a sale. Also as a customer, I would expect a valid MOT to come with the car.

Oh, dear. I feel you are missing my point. I AM concerned about tax and insurance, which is why more often than not I will not tax a vehicle for a customer using my insurance if I feel that he will not eventually insure the vehicle himself. I try to get all customers to have the vehicle taxed before they take the car, and 99% of the time they do. But the point I am making is, it is not illegal for me to sell an untaxed vehicle. If you feel otherwise then please post relevent case law.

I AM concerned about tax and insurance, which is why more often than not I will not tax a vehicle for a customer using my insurance if I feel that he will not eventually insure the vehicle himself.

You are clearly stating above that you will let an uninsured vehicle on the road, which is a disregard to innocent roadusers.

I do not know of any caselaw. What I have said though is that if after being driven away from say your garage, the vehicle was involved in an accident killing an innocent party, then the police will probably find something to prosecute you under. Taken in proportion, the chances of such event happening are probably remote but it is still a risk.

Also I have said that it is only a matter of time before the DLVA start on easy targets over road tax (legislation can soon be amended if necessary).

You are clearly stating above that you will let an uninsured vehicle on the road, which is a disregard to innocent roadusers.

No, I am not. If I refuse to tax a car for someone (normally because I have formed an opinion of him/her and the likelihood of them actually getting insurance ) normally what happens they go and get the relevant paperwork and tax it themselves then collect the car. That way I know that the car is insured. But, I keep coming back to this, I am not legally obliged to ensure a customer has insurance. Ethically possibly, legally no. Consider this, I have a taxed vehicle for sale, full mot. somebody comes in off the street and buys it and wants to drive it away telling me they are covered by their insurance, should I stop them?

And as for being guilty of conspiracy, hmmmm.

gwc1000...

Out of curiosity (...whilst also trying to drag the Thread back ON Topic),

how often/many cars would U sell to 'Mr Average Joe Public' on an average late Sat afternoon, when U KNEW it would be extremely difficult for them to be able to Tax the vehicle that U were selling them??...:confused:

Do U have a cut-off time, for instance??...:confused:

I do not know enough to say there is/is not a legal obligation, there certainly is a moral one though.

Apart from the once where I had was taken to the PO, I always have had to produce insurance before the dealer taxed the car (same for others I have gone with when they were buying). There is no problem getting insurance as the companies are so geared towards getting customers they will make sure the dealer is aware of the policy (vast majority have done via fax).