bought a car saturday afternoon no tax supplyed are you able to drive it around?

leroist
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just spoke to my tame garage - they can provide their customer with the facility for a fee. I cannot find where such usage (as a trade facility) is in any way illegal.

Perhaps it would be a better idea to telephone the local dvla office who actually issue a trade licence, and ask them. There is a long list of what you can and can't do. Even parking on the road for one minute is illegal, except in an emergency. Anybody may use a trade licence with the licence holder's permission, but it must be in the course of the licence holder's business. The licence is only for vehicles that are temporarily in the licence holder's possession, no other vehicles are covered. The vehicle can only be used between trade premises and trade premises. No stopping, and no going to the shops.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for what happens in Calais, this is clearly a different administration as the rules are different,

For a car to be driven on UK VRM in another EU member state, then it must be road legal as per UK regulations; that includes having current VED displayed amongst other things.

Agreed, but the vehicle is not being driven in as a 'visitor' but as an IMPORT. Since French insurance (presumably) will not cover a Swansea registered vehicle, it would require a French registration (even a temporary number if this is available there) and the requirement to meet 'UK' regulations immaterial.

Incidentally, I've made a formal FoI request of the DVLA for the information they retain but don;' disclose on the V5C, I'll PM you the info if/when I recieve it - they're mandated to reply before 4th September.

Perhaps it would be a better idea to telephone the local dvla office who actually issue a trade licence,

I was at my local DVLA office and asked the hypothetical - substituting the ferry to be a service from Stranraer to Dublin Port. The advice was that such an arrangement would be between the RK and the garage. As this would be a commercial service provided by the garage, and would be perfectly legal. She also added that once the vehicle arrived at the Port, the plates could be returned as the vehicle was being shipped 'abroad'.

As you say - stopping to load up with sweets/meal on the public highway is not on, only the shortest route to achieve the required goal of getting it to the port legally. She also made the point that no insurance (additional) would be required, as the use of the trade plate provided TP cover automatically. I hadn't appreciated that.

when i bought my car from a dealer they said they do not tax vechicles they sell. this was on a saturday afternoon so i could only tax it on monday, i had the rest of my particulars, insurance etc was i still legal to drive? i have been unable to find out any were else.

This forum never ceases to amaze me, the original question (above) required a one word answer, yet reading through the numerous replies I have seen an established car trader's reputation questioned, discussions about the legalities of driving abroad, MOT testing, conspiracies,the use of trade plates, case law, car auctions and god knows what else.

The answer is simply NO!

(All good stuff though, and fascinating to read through!)