• Tweets

• Hi all, an update on the case as the deadline for filing the WS is tomorrow i.e., 14 days before the hearing date: 7th June. Evri have emailed their WS today to the court and to myself. Attached pdf of their WS - I have redacted personal information and left any redactions/highlights by Evri. In the main: The WS is signed by George Wood. Evri have stated the claim value that I am seeking to recover is £931.79 including £70 court fees, and am putting me to strict proof as to the value of the claim. Evri's have accepted that the parcel is lost but there is no contract between Evri and myself, and that the contract is with myself and Packlink They have provided a copy of the eBay Powered By Packlink Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) to support their argument the contractual relationship is between myself and Packlink, highlighting clause 3a, e, g of these T&Cs. They further highlight clause 14 of the T&Cs which states that Packlink's liability is limited to £25 unless enhanced compensation has been chosen. They have contacted Packlink who informed them that I had been in contact with Packlink and raised a claim with Packlink and the claim had been paid accordingly i.e., £25 in line with the T&Cs and the compensated postage costs of £4.82. They believe this is clear evidence that my contract is with Packlink and should therefore cease the claim against Evri. Evri also cite Clause 23 of the pre-exiting commercial agreement between the Defendant and Packlink, which states:  ‘Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 A person who is not a party to this Agreement shall have no rights under the Contracts (Right of Third Parties) Act 1999 to rely upon or enforce any term of this Agreement provided that this does not affect any right or remedy of the third party which exists or is available apart from that Act.’ This means that the Claimant cannot enforce third party rights under the Contract (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 and instead should cease this claim and raise a dispute with the correct party.   Having read Evri's WS and considered the main points above, I have made these observations: Evri have not seen/read my WS (sent by post and by email) as they would have recognised the claim value is over £1000 as it includes court fees, trial fees, postage costs and interests, and there is a complete breakdown of the different costs and evidence. Evri accepts the parcel is lost after it entered their delivery network - again, this is in my WS and is not an issue in dispute. Evri mentions the £25 and £4.82 paid by Packlink - Again, had they read the WS, they would have realised this is not an issue in dispute. Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency   This supports the view that once a user (i.e, myself) selects a transport agency (i.e Evri) that best suits the user's needs, the user (i.e, myself) enters into a contract with the chosen transport agency (i.e, myself). Therefore, under the T&Cs, there is a contract between myself and Evri. Evri cites their pre-existing agreement with Packlink and that I cannot enforce 3rd party rights under the 1999 Act. Evri has not provided a copy of this contract, and furthermore, my point above explains that the T&Cs clearly explains I have entered into a contract when i chose Evri to deliver my parcel.  As explained in my WS, i am the non-gratuitous beneficiary as my payment for Evri's delivery service through Packlink is the sole reason for the principal contract coming into existence. Clearly Evri have not read by WS as the above is all clearly explained in there.   I am going to respond to Evri's email by stating that I have already sent my WS to them by post/email and attach the email that sent on the weekend to them containing my WS. However, before i do that, If there is anything additional I should further add to the email, please do let me know. Thanks. Evri Witness Statement Redacted v1 compressed.pdf
    • Thank you. I will get on to the SAR request. I am not sure now who the DCA are - I have a feeling it might be the ACI group but will try to pull back the letter they wrote from her to see and update with that once I have it. She queried it initially with 118 118 when she received the default notice I think. Thanks again - your help and support is much appreciated and I will talk to her about stopping her payments at the weekend.
    • you should email contact OCMC immediately and say you want an in person hearing.   stupid to not
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

bank breached...

venetian fire
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site so please forgive if i flout any maxims or appear unseemly.

I need some advice rather urgently so if you can be of any help please reply.

I have a big issue with a major bank at the moment...

Both me and my father have an account with them and a short while ago he called up to transfer money between 2 of his accounts, only the bank took it from my account (without telling him it was mine!) and left me stranded wit £0 balance. They informed him on the call that he had 3 accounts and that as there wasn't enough funds in the 1st one to take it from the 3rd.

Now my dad thinking something was fishy wanted to know the account details so he could investigate it at his local branch, therefore :mad:, advisor gave him my account balance (aargh!), account number and sort code - where is the common sense? Anyway my dad said (in english) do not take it from there (as he had no idea what this 3rd account was) ...and they did anyway (without any of my security info etc). Well when i called the bank to tell them about my missing money all became clear...then spoke to dad who was livid when he realised how much money i've blown out my account - not good.

I was left stranded for several days with no dosh and the bank intially no offered no explaination 4 the mess/ promsied to call back etc then never did b4 finally sending a letter to say the reason for transfer was cos dad's a trustee!

After inisisting no such arrangement was ever made, let alone signed and suggesting it was fabricated in order to cover their bottoms they eventually admitted their daft mistake and are offering £200 compensation.

Thing is i'm way too mad, throughout this whole debacle all i've had is imcompentence after incompentence nevermind the plain stupidness and disregard. The stress, inconvience, loss of earnings and all the calls I had to make for THEM to clear up THEIR mistake does not tally up what they are offering. I haven't replied to them yet in response to their "final offer" and wanted to see what people here thought thought before i did.

Have they breached both their contract and my data protection? As i'm not happy what's the alternative ? Is it worth it or are they too slippery?

Please help guys,

xxxxxxx

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site so please forgive if i flout any maxims or appear unseemly.

I need some advice rather urgently so if you can be of any help please reply.

I have a big issue with a major bank at the moment...

Both me and my father have an account with them and a short while ago he called up to transfer money between 2 of his accounts, only the bank took it from my account (without telling him it was mine!) and left me stranded wit £0 balance. They informed him on the call that he had 3 accounts and that as there wasn't enough funds in the 1st one to take it from the 3rd.

Now my dad thinking something was fishy wanted to know the account details so he could investigate it at his local branch, therefore :mad:, advisor gave him my account balance (aargh!), account number and sort code - where is the common sense? Anyway my dad said (in english) do not take it from there (as he had no idea what this 3rd account was) ...and they did anyway (without any of my security info etc). Well when i called the bank to tell them about my missing money all became clear...then spoke to dad who was livid when he realised how much money i've blown out my account - not good.

I was left stranded for several days with no dosh and the bank intially no offered no explaination 4 the mess/ promsied to call back etc then never did b4 finally sending a letter to say the reason for transfer was cos dad's a trustee!

After inisisting no such arrangement was ever made, let alone signed and suggesting it was fabricated in order to cover their bottoms they eventually admitted their daft mistake and are offering £200 compensation.

Thing is i'm way too mad, throughout this whole debacle all i've had is imcompentence after incompentence nevermind the plain stupidness and disregard. The stress, inconvience, loss of earnings and all the calls I had to make for THEM to clear up THEIR mistake does not tally up what they are offering. I haven't replied to them yet in response to their "final offer" and wanted to see what people here thought thought before i did.

Have they breached both their contract and my data protection? As i'm not happy what's the alternative ? Is it worth it or are they too slippery?

Please help guys,

xxxxxxx

Hi and welcome to CAG

I would think about a complaint to the FOS a link to their complaints procedure is here our complaints procedure and how to complain

And I would also report it to the Information Commisionaire Information Commissioner's Office - ICO

Hope this helps

saint

Thank you 4 response Saint.

What i really want to know is how serious is this in general terms, to me it feels v. serious because it's caused me so much problems but in your experience or anyone else's, will FOS also think so.

I've been reading lots on this site but there's so much! :) and i haven't seen many instances of this kind of breach and/or the outcome.

Should I go to the small claims court or is that too soon? On some threads i've seen sample letters threatening legal action to the bank but that's to do with SAR or unfair charges.

Does anyone have experience of going further with something like this and what I can expect:?:

xxxxxxxxxx

Venetian Fire, if you are adamant on pursuing this then contact agencies advised by saintly.

What I feel you want is, and I may stand corrected....... more money in terms of an apology!!

Why don't you highlight all your 'issues', highlight all your 'losses', send them in a letter to the bank and tell them what you feel is an acceptable amount and see what they reply :rolleyes: (send them an email, much quicker this time of year!)

I would think if they're offering £200, the 'MISTAKE' is quite a serious breach and maybe worth a try to get a bit more,

Merry Crimbo, DWD.

Thanks for the advice...but i still have more questions if you Doubleswhendo or Saintly or any other knowledgeable person should be so kind as to help:

1) If i'm not happy with the FOS outcome what next

2) I know this is a bit cheeky:wink: but got any good letter templates for this issue?

3) To those of you who have actually used FOS what should i expect, any tips? There are loads for fighting the charges etc. but can i apply them to this breach e.g. adding dealines/bundles/helpful legislation quotes etc ?

4) And (hardest of all) in your humble personal opinion - can i nail these guys for overall negligence? I'm so mad :mad: ...

...but i'm also realistic, and this has taken up enough of my time as it is so i need to weigh it all up

xxxxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Freakyleaky,

Firstly i must apologise for the thread as i posted the almost same thing twice (i'm new and misguided)

Secondly, please let my assure you that i appreciate your input but are you having a laugh:o :

"I suggest you take what they have offered and put it down to experience!"

I am under the impression that one can only put something down to experience if one has relative control of the situation mentioned. I did not. Your quote also indirectly implies that somehow i was at fault. I wasn't.

How would you suggest i put it down to experience - i don't understand?

Even with "experience" I will be still be mad if the bank c***s up as badly in the future as it has now.

It's NOT ENOUGH! for the problems they have caused me, I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS - they have been both careless and obnoxious in nauseatingly equal amounts, in fact i would rather go to FOS if it means they would have to pay more in "damages" overall even if i get nought.

Freakyleaky, do you not understand where i am coming from? I had no dosh for days, i was up s*** creek wit my dad, arrangements had to be cancelled, the ben & jerry's put back in the basket, blah blah blah ..... (please get the idea).

I am restless with rage.....i want more ....much more ...............

I am a reasonable being, and as such I await an alternative albeit more understanding response.

Also plesse see my other post which has more detail of the issue.

xxx

2 threads merged, it's easier if you keep all related issues on the one thread.

The information you have been given is quite correct, IMO.

Bearing in mind that FOS has so far awarded at the most £125 for reataliatory account closure, I would think it unlikely they will award you any more than what the bank is offering you, so "much, much more" is very, very unlikely to happen.

Yes, they breached the DPA, yes, they messed up, but if you want to go down the court route, you will have to be able to show how much they have cost you in real terms, and claim that instead of the compensation they are offering you.

As for damages, this isn't the States, we don't have punitive damages here, and the judicial system here is set to put you back in the position where you started from, not better off. I fear that if the bank is offering you £200 and you refuse, then take them to court without a clearly quantified monetary claim, a judge could well decide that you are being unreasonable, so you need to take that into the equation too.

What seems to you such a huge deal is nothing exceptional by the standards we have seen in nearly 2 years in this forum, I myself have received a perfect stranger's statements on more than one occasion, DCA contact neighbours and parents on a regular basis, so whilst it may have landed you in hot water with your dad, I am pretty sure the bank would get away with a "mea culpa" and a contrite face, they might get a rap on the knuckles from the ICO -which they'll just shrug off- if you were to report it to them, and that's about it. Compared to leaving thousands of their customers' details in black bags outside the branches, your case is small beer to them.

So please don't have a go at FreakyLeaky for giving you the most realistic advice you are likely to get, it might not be what you want to hear, but it is reasonable advice.

• Haha 2

are you having a laugh:o :

I can think of many other things that I would consider as "having a laugh" other than spending time trying to answer your question!

Your quote also indirectly implies that somehow i was at fault. I wasn't.

I did not imply it was your fault in any way!

How would you suggest i put it down to experience - i don't understand?

Use this experience as a warning of how Barclays can treat people and Change banks!

Even with "experience" I will be still be mad if the bank c***s up as badly in the future as it has now.

But surely with your newly acquired knowledge you will not continue to bank with with them?

It's NOT ENOUGH! for the problems they have caused me, I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS - they have been both careless and obnoxious in nauseatingly equal amounts, in fact i would rather go to FOS if it means they would have to pay more in "damages" overall even if i get nought.

Freakyleaky, do you not understand where i am coming from? I had no dosh for days, i was up s*** creek wit my dad, arrangements had to be cancelled, the ben & jerry's put back in the basket, blah blah blah ..... (please get the idea).

Oh I get the idea alright! Do you think that due to the Banks behaviour you are the only person ever to get into difficulties? Have a read around the forums on this site and you will see some real cases of hardship caused by the actions of the Banks!

As for being in trouble with your Dad, why would he tell you off for spending your own money?

I am restless with rage.....i want more ....much more ...............

I am sure you do but the fact is the likelihood of you getting much more is virtually zero! The bank have made you an offer that in all probability the FOS and any court would view as more than fair under the circumstances!

I am a reasonable being, and as such I await an alternative albeit more understanding response.

The response I gave you was an "understanding" response in as much as I understand the position the banks put you in did not cause you any life altering, life threatening, career damaging, relationship wrecking or long term financial hardship!

It is not the response you want but the only one you will get from me!

xxx

Any advice given by myself or any other member of the site is given freely and with the best intentions in mind! No advice given is ever intended to upset or annoy. But as we all know you can't please all the people all of the time!

• Haha 1

Thread closed at OP's request.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks