Could Have!!

Guest littlesally
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest littlesally

The correct wording is 'could/would/should have not of (i.e. could've)

Just wanted to point this out as it jars me.

Sally x

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it really annoy you that much Sally ?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Guest littlesally

I know it's silly UK, but yes it does - can't help it.

Also bugs me when my kids say ' the present what I would like' instead of that.

The school doesn't correct them, but I think it's important or they will sound thick!

Sally x

And - different to, when it should be different than or different from

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

I know exactly where you are coming from - it really gets my goat.

As does, "Loose" when the person means "Lose" (you see that a lot on here)

"To" instead of "Too" (as in "Too much", or "Me too")

Let the pendants revolt!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I HATE that one.

I'm totally revolting at the moment - having just marked 70 essays from 1st year Uni students - I spend more time correcting grammar than commenting on arguments. Rant, Rant, Rant.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Thanks - I feel better now.

:)

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

Guest littlesally

There, their and they're!

I don't understand how they can be confused.

I can understand spelling things incorrectly but not writing/saying the wrong word.

Sally x

I know what you mean HC.

My kids say this quite regularly, "could of" instead of "could have".

No amount of correcting them seems to do the trick, because once they are back at school, it goes out of the window.

Another one that really riles me too is, the "F" being swapped for a "TH".

" i Fort i would go to the shops today".

" my mate naFan is coming over after"

When i went to school, the teachers would have kept us behind for ages until this "idle talking" was corrected.

What is the education system coming to?

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Well Baz, it's so bad that we actually assess all our students online now and put as many as we can into classes to teach basic grammar. Most of them say they are not taught it at school. Most of them don't seem to want to learn it either ... And my department say I cannot mark down on grammar.

What's the education system coming to indeed!

Could of, of course, is a distortion on "could've"

But where did it all change ?

Why has it been allowed to get so out of hand, and why havent young children had the basics of grammar drummed into them as we did years ago.

Reading, writing, maths, and good English understanding. The basics of any childs development in this country i would have thought.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Education policy. My sister's a head at a primary school - they have to teach the way they are told. Blame the stupid eejits who said that we should not be prescriptive about grammar. It's better in Scotland than England, I believe - and I think there's recently been a return to better methods in England.

While we are in the pedantic mood. It bug me when people use apostrophes when they are pluralising a word.

Potato's etc.

Also I don't like Americanised spellings of words, such as all the words which end in 'ised', everyone seems to use the American 'ized' now (probably because the default dictionary for the computer spell checkers is US English).

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Oh, don't get me started on apostrophes bluey.

Or American English.

Guest littlesally

My OH's kids say 'by purpose' instead of 'on purpose'. Their mum says 'on purpose' is wrong!

In Portsmouth they say 'I do's that'.

As for Americans - spit instead of spat? Wrong tense.

One of my friends refused to have her kids named with a TH in, as she thought it better if their dad could actually say their names.

Schools are the place for education, some parents are too lazy, uneducated or unintelligent to correct speech, but schools are meant to.

There is too much emphasis on correct clothing, not enough on speech.

Sally x

You lot are just mean, they'res lot's of meanness in here.

After reading this, I need a few pint's.

;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

There is too much emphasis on correct clothing, not enough on speech.

Sally x

...and the right food.

The kids themselves are more concerned with the 'right' phone or trainers.

------------

------------

Guest littlesally
I know exactly where you are coming from - it really gets my goat.

"To" instead of "Too" (as in "Too much", or "Me too")

Let the pendants revolt!

By 'you lot' I hope you are including yourself Dave! ;)

Just an excuse for a drink :D

Sally x

You lot are just mean, they'res lot's of meanness in here.

After reading this, I need a few pint's.

;-)

LOL Dave.

My nephew's turning into a real little Pompey boy. But he only does it with his friends, not his family. Bilingual already.

:rolleyes:

Guest littlesally

Don't get me started on the food!!

They've just started secondary school and instead of set meals for £1.40 there are seperate things with seperate prices, which costs a fortune like 50p for an apple!!

They are packed lunch now

Sally x

I go into secondary schools as part of my job and I'm always shocked at the ones that have vending machines full of junk food and fizzy drinks.

Pompey give free water to each primary school child and ban fizzy drinks. The children's concentration levels and behavior has improved no end.

I could never understand why it was the school's responsibility to dictate what kids should be eating. Surely their concern is their education - fat or thin, they still need to be taught things.

------------

------------

Because what we eat influences our behaviour. I don't need drugs - a packet of refreshers set me off.

And because for some kids it's the only decent meal they get each day.

Guest littlesally
I could never understand why it was the school's responsibility to dictate what kids should be eating. Surely their concern is their education - fat or thin, they still need to be taught things.

They also need to be taught about food nutricion Dave.

Like vocabulary, some parent don't know any better or can't be bothered.

80p for a slushpuppy!! Shouldn't even have them.

80p for a small slice of pizza.

Sally x