Private Disabled Bay Ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just got a £60 'parking charge' from a private firm.

Please let me know what you think my chances are of a successful appeal.

Here are the facts:

• I parked in a disabled bay in a retail park outside a restaurant to run in and get a telephone order
  • I'm not disabled.
  • There were no other available spaces outside.
  • There were at least 2 or 3 other available disabled spaces next to the one i took.
  • I was in the restaurant for 5 minutes.
  • The warden who I found afterwards said he would make a note that I was only there for 5 minutes.
  • The space itself was clearly marked.
  • I'm not sure whether the car park itself has a clear sign upon entering that explains the 'contract' - I will check this tomorrow.
  • The warden said he had taken photos.
  • The front of the ticket says 'Parking Charge' in black writing on a yellow background which resembles the Government issued tickets.
  • The ticket is for £60 increasing by £3 per day after 10 days.
  • With any appeal they have stated I should include payment which will be repaid if the appeal is successful.

I know I took a gamble but really didn't think I was doing any harm given the other spare disabled spaces and my short stay.

What do you guys think?

Dont pay, ask them to prove a contract. If they can't, the fee is not enforceable. If they can, it's a penalty. Lots of similar posts in here. Do a search.

Oh, and I'd add out of principle I think you deserved the ticket. If another two or three people had done the same thing as you at the same time, someone like me would've sighed and driven back home because I didnt have a space close enough to get to the place I need to. I hope you enjoyed your takeout.

Davjoh

Here to help!

Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!

Oh, and I'd add out of principle I think you deserved the ticket. If another two or three people had done the same thing as you at the same time, someone like me would've sighed and driven back home because I didnt have a space close enough to get to the place I need to. I hope you enjoyed your takeout.

But if all the other spaces were taken, the OP would have had to sigh and head home too, because there wasn't a space where he needed to get to.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

but surely if all the spaces had been taken by disabled persons you would have stilled sighed and driven back home because you didnt have a space close enough to get to the place you needed to?

But if all the other spaces were taken, the OP would have had to sigh and head home too, because there wasn't a space where he needed to get to.

...or, heaven forbid, he could have parked a little further away and, wait for it, WALKED? :eek: :eek: :eek: That's a priviledge I, and almost all other blue badge holders aren't afforded; and that is one of the reasons we have the spaces.

All the other spaces being full doesnt give him the right to park in ringfenced spaces. Would he have done it on a public highway? Would he have parked in an emergency services bay?

Here to help!

Just ask!

but surely if all the spaces had been taken by disabled persons you would have stilled sighed and driven back home because you didnt have a space close enough to get to the place you needed to?

Yes, I would, but it's a little different if another person with disabiliities is the one who's got there first. If it's someone who should not be there at all it gets quite frustrating.

Here to help!

Just ask!

Agree with davjoh - in principle, you deserve the ticket; my disgust for people who park in disabled bays knows no bounds. Legally however, it's another story. Read the sticky at the top of the forum about private parking tickets; it'll tell you all you need to know.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

If I need to go to my GP surgery (very small car park, 2 disabled spaces) and the car park is full - it always is - then I have 2 choices, park on double yellows and risk a fine or park about 1/2 a mile away and walk, which I can't do. I have no choice but to risk a fine.

If my OH wants to go to the take away and the car park is full, he has 3 choices, park in a disabled space, park on double yellows or walk. He walks. No fine.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.