please someone help me

honey5
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Honey, normally, we try to help you as much as we can, but in this instance, because of the paper trail, you'll have letters from DLA and CTC, and lord knows what else, I have to agree with Surprise, I think you need someone physically there to get through the paperwork with you, or it is just going to get more and more confusing for you. First thing tomorrow, contact your local council to find out if they have the same kind of adviser that Surprise talks about, otherwise get an urgent appointment at the CAB.

Before you see anyone, make sure you have all your paperwork in order, by agency and chronologically. One pile for DLA, one pile for CTC, one pile for Carer's Allowance, etc...

It's impossible for anyone here to tell you precisely what has been happening as we can't see your paperwork, you see. Hopefully, an adviser will be able to pinpoint what went wrong and where and to help you solve this.

In the meantime, you need to calm down for your kids' sake. It's easy to say, I know, but I can read your panic through your posts, and I think you need to take back control of your nerves, even when the world seems to be crashing down around your ears.

We're here for you, but can only do so much, so get a good night sleep, and get going first thing tomorrow, there's nothing much you can do on a Sunday night. :-)

Let us know how you get on. :-)

Then you should apply for that too. ;-) It is classified as taxable, but you can earn up to £70-odd (went up recently) a week without it affecting your CA, it's not a great amount (£47 or so quids a week), but it all helps.

Edit: You should also definitely apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, you might get pleasantly surprised. Even if it's only a few pounds a month, better in your pocket than theirs, don't you think? ;-) If they say no, then you've lost nothing except a bit of time filling in forms.

all i did was take the two little ones home from hospital the forms were filled in by there then consultant we recieved DLA for them both for 10yrs then hers stopped as they deemed she wasnt eligible?? (how you can be dependant one day and not the next im not so sure but never mind) their dad lef 3 yr ago i filled in the tax credits as to waht they were recieving at the time, things changed i rang (that call isnt available apparently now)) he still gets his, i still pay full council tx which ive always done etc and never asked anyone for anything, in these years, never was notified about carers allowance etc and now this???????????

to say im confused at the least

Then you should apply for that too. :wink: It is classified as taxable, but you can earn up to £70-odd (went up recently) a week without it affecting your CA, it's not a great amount (£47 or so quids a week), but it all helps.

ah thats maybe why as only working 2 nights per week my wages still amoun to more than that, thanks

Top of my head, and without knowing your exact circumstances, I would say that you need to:

- Re-apply for DLA for the little one.

- Apply for Carers' Allowance

- Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit

On top of which you need to get the CTC situation sorted. When you re-apply for DLA, you should ask for it to be backdated to when you lost it, explaining why you think there should be no gap, if that succeeds, it would put you in a better position with CTC. But if you have never done it yourself without help, you need someone to help you with this, the forms are a minefield.

As the mum of 2 kids with difficulties, you owe it to them as well as yourself to get all the help you may be entitled to. :-)

i agree with you and have always just filled in the forms myself, my daughter has been reffered to CMHT lately because of her behaviour (her twin is autistic has adhd and ocd and anything else thatgoes with it poor kid) and to be honest she is at the other end of the scale, she has it but is clever with it whilst he cant read nor write still at 11, shes really showing skills but the same behaviour as he does when his ritalin or respiridone arent given on time

thanks for your help i do appreciate it honestly im just so confused with it all

x

Who wouldn't be? The DLA form is 78 pages long, all seemingly repeating the same thing over and over again, it's one of the most soul-destroying forms I have ever seen. :mad:

Edit, just saw your post, we posted at the same time: No, you can't apply for housing benefit then, but council tax benefit, yes. Don't forget about single-adult occupancy too if your ex is no longer there!

they are they certainly are soul destroying rakeing over what you dont want to think about ( i dont think they realise what those situations take out of you), yes my OH has been gone 3 yrs but im still non the wiser ive just got on with things the best i could

ill reapply for her dla see what happens this time

thanks

x

Honey i have gone through the tax credits check and ended up overpaid by about £16k. Even at this massive amount i only pay them £10 per month back. I work and so does my husband and we still only have to pay £10 a month. When I spoke to them i had to go through all my incomings and outgoings and then they decided an amount they felt i could afford. You should make a list of everything you pay out monthly and what your current income is, just to be ready for when they ask for this. It is a pain getting all the documents ready to send but if you are having trouble finding them all just give them a call and i am sure they will be ok with it. I also agree you should go to your local CAB who are brilliant at helping people sort through things and understand whats happening. Good luck.

Honey

I'm not clued up on Benefits etc, but i did find this calculator the other day which may help. It's here:

entitledto

Hope this helps.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Please visit Community Legal Advice

You can be assessed for legal help over the phone. Sounds to me like you'd qualify without any problems.

I am in agreement with all previous posters- you will need to see a face-to-face adviser. CLS can help in locating one.

Please do not panic- it will get sorted. You may end up better off once the benefit check and income maximization from the adviser.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

oh it gets better

ive just recieved another letter from them

iam writing to make a personal apology. A copy of some HM Revenue & Customs data about families, including yours, who hace recieved child benefiit has been lost. The copy of the data is likely to still be on Government property. The police are now conductiong a search..................

honey x

Oh that's nice. No reassurance that any problems will not fall on you but will be covered by the government.

Incidently, the government thinks the banks should take some responsibility if there are any funds taken from accounts due to identity theft. They have some nerve.

• 6 months later...

thankyou tills xxx :)

well.................... the update is, they are taking £600 pcm from me, as they want it returned within 12 mnth, i rang and asked if i could have longer to pay and explained the situation.

Recieved a letter to say no they would not even consider it :(

honey x

• 3 weeks later...

I've not got any experience with benefits, Honey, but the decision they have given you above seems grossly unfair.

Have you considered contacting your mp and getting him to look into the matter? You've obviously got your hands full and as people have already mentioned, there may be benefits you are entitled to but are not receiving. And the various gov agencies do not seem to be helping you much either. You could do with someone actively fighting your corner :)

As an aside, I heard a report on the radio this morning that the government spends 7 times more money chasing benefit 'cheats' (used loosely here - I'm not in anyway implying that you are, hon) than they actually recover - something like £85 per second. They seriously need to get themselves in order. Benefits and help for people like yourself are what I pay my taxes for. The real 'cheats' need to be thrown in jail.

(Sorry for the rant!)

All the best Honey xx

thankyou tills xxx :)

well.................... the update is, they are taking £600 pcm from me, as they want it returned within 12 mnth, i rang and asked if i could have longer to pay and explained the situation.

Recieved a letter to say no they would not even consider it :(

honey x

Hello Honey,

I have been reading your thread and I am horrified with the way you have been treated. I cannot offer any better advice on your benefit claims than you have already been given, but I do think you should appeal against the HMRC ruling.

In cases of the recovery of overpaid allowances/credits or underpayment of tax, HMRC has a lot of discretion in what it can agree to. Of course if you are rich, can afford expensive ‘Bean counters’ and sharks and ‘move in the right circles’, HMRC will, under its new senior management group, willingly do a deal. If you are not in that group, then you may have to fight a bit, but they will do deals. What they want on their records is a tick in a box that says that your ‘Overpayment’ is being recovered. Getting it all back within 12 months is a bonus, not the absolute requirement.

Try and avoid telephoning them. HMRC no longer have 'local' offices where you can speak to the same person each time you call; someone who might actually know about your tax situation. The government ‘Bean Counters’ decide this was too inefficient, so they set up call centres and you will never speak to the same person twice. You are dependent on the person you speak to putting ALL the information you have given onto the central system. Unfortunately, they are under pressure to answer calls within certain time frames, so only the briefest details will be posted. Not all calls are recorded, so keep your own notes. If you do have to call HMRC about anything, before you start explaining why you are calling, give your name, take their name and location, confirm it, agree the date and time you are talking to them. That acts as a ‘Heads up’to them that you are taking this seriously. When you have hung up, write up your notes and sign them. If you can, scan them into your PC so if there is a dispute in what was said, you can send HMRC a copy. Again, you are showing them that you are serious and will not just roll over.

Write to HMRC at the address you have been given on the correspondence you received. Clearly mark your letter as “REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION” in red. The “Appeal” bit might have to come later.

All correspondence is automatically scanned on receipt, but if they have to sign for a letter it is processed separately and tends to be fast tracked to someone (not sure who!). So always send your letter by Royal Mail Special Delivery (next day by 1pm).

Never accept their first response as the final word. If it is not what you want, go back to them and mark your letter this time as “APPEAL” in red. Your letter will be bumped up to the next level of management. Emphasis the points you feel they have “Not given full weight to” and highlight any errors in their original decision. If you can, give some extra information that was not in your original letter/telephone call.

At the bottom of your appeal letter, give HMRC a time scale to reply before you take your appeal to your MP. I would suggest 14 days from receipt of your letter. HMRC hates MPs becoming involved with complaints/appeals and has a separate office that deals with MP’s correspondence. Any complaints/appeals sent in via an MP are highlighted and dealt with asap.

If after the 14 days are up, write to your MP and enclose copies of all your notes and correspondence with HMRC. Send a copy of your letter to HMRC. This might just be enough to encourage HMRC to agree to your request and when your MP writes in, they can say it has all been sorted.

The bottom line is, do not give up or give in!

I hope this has been of some help.

Good luck!

BOF

-----------------------------------------------

Is it just me! :confused: