The Moral Initiative

sosumi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A campaign to 'collect' on moral debts?

DCAs knowingly mislead people, ignore the OFT Guidelines and CSA Code of Practice. They harass, intimidate and threaten.

These are all fundamental issues. They are moral issues.

I'd suggest we start our own 'bills' for each DCA - and even the Original Creditors.

Each time they mislead, for example, would be one MD - Moral Debt.

So, say you have 4 letters from one Debt Collection Agency that aim to hurt and intimidate you - that would be 4 MDs. And 4 MDs owed by the Original Creditor... They 'referred' you, they are equally to blame.

Another example - Every repeated telephone call you receive from a DCA, when you have insisted on contact only by letter - 1 MD.

Think of it! Those people who get 30 calls a day, would be 'owed' 30 MDs.

Post their 'debts' every time they do it. Keep a tally.

Just something I've been thinking about. Morally, these DCAs owe us big time. Any thoughts anyone? :idea::)

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

I wanted to call this 'The Beryl Initiative' - but didn't for what I hope are obvious reasons.:???:

The other 'Initiative' would be a campaign to get CAG posters in every library, so that people in Beryl's situation could find the help and support on here.

• Haha 1

we could always set up a company and call them 20 - 30 times a day threaten em with "legal action" if they dont cough up :grin:

Or send them letters quoting various philosophical texts dealing with ethics and morality.

They'd need help with the long words, obviously.

Actually, that's a good idea - whenever you write to a DCA, get a thesaurus out and substitute as many words as possible with complicated synonyms.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Or send them letters quoting various philosophical texts dealing with ethics and morality.

They'd need help with the long words, obviously.

Actually, that's a good idea - whenever you write to a DCA, get a thesaurus out and substitute as many words as possible with complicated synonyms.

Funnily, I've been thinking about this. I don't know of any text in ethics that specifically talks about DCAs

:D

But there's loads of stuff about the morality of coercion. Cor, does this mean that my day job is finally going to relevant for something?

:-o

• Haha 1

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Does this mean my degree is finally relevant for something too? Wow.

Think the basic principles of existentialism could cerainly be applied here.

• Haha 1

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

What a shame for them:p Must be making an extra hole in their profits when added to the losses they sustain from people who learn about their rights on these damned internet sites :lol::lol::lol::lol: Maybe they will find out themselves what it is like to be hounded by debt collectors when they go bust.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

FOS complaints ‘not about evasion’ Credit Today News - 10/10/2007

Best to read it now (ie. while it's there!) :)

Another excellent find by Sosumi :)

This one needs to be kept for the DCA employees/excusers who occasionally interrupt with their "you're just trying to dodge" poop.

They probably won't listen though. They're brainwashed not to, and many of them actually believe the carp they're told.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

I like the post in this discussion Credit Today online from Edward Pacey as it seems that some senior figures within companies are beginning to concede, albeit very tentatively, that there IS a problem particularly with the collection side of things. It's refreshing to see someone senior admit that DCA's need to be seriously sorted out.

I'm convinced that eventually things will have to improve and the DCA's will be reined in and brought under control. But how much longer is it going to take??

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

I've copied the Credit Today News Article here, and would like to thank Credit Today for making news like this accessible to the general public. :)

FOS complaints ‘not about evasion’ - 10/10/2007

Complaints to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) about debt collection agencies are not from consumers trying to avoid debts, according to the lead ombudsman for banking and credit.

Jane Hingston (pictured) told delegates at the Civil Court Users Association conference that the complaints were about people being chased for debts they’d already paid or being chased by five or six different organisations for the same debt.

"The focus is more on the arrangement between lenders and collections agencies and the information that passes between them, than consumers trying to evade debts," she said.

Delegates raised the issue of the £400 case fee a company must pay if a complaint is investigated against it.

Hingston said the fee is reflective of the costs involved in investigating. "We think it is damn good value. You’ve got two months to resolve the complaint and even if they do come to us you get two free cases a year. It’s the same cost to us no matter what the outcome of the case."

The industry had previously raised fears that aggrieved consumers with false complaints will go to the ombudsman, racking up lots of costs. However, CSA director Godfrey Lancashire said there haven’t been complaints from members that they are being unfairly treated so far.

Steve Meakin from the Institute of Money Advisers said this worry is unnecessary. "There doesn’t seem as yet to be a lot of frivolous and vexatious claims. If there were I’m sure the FOS would take a different view on fees in future. I would hate to see a good idea undermined by vexatious claiming," he said.

However, Stephen Sklaroff, Finance & Leasing Association director general, said his members are starting to get claims compensation that are just below the charge for a case if it goes through the FOS.

I like the post in this discussion Credit Today online from Edward Pacey as it seems that some senior figures within companies are beginning to concede, albeit very tentatively, that there IS a problem particularly with the collection side of things. It's refreshing to see someone senior admit that DCA's need to be seriously sorted out.

I'm convinced that eventually things will have to improve and the DCA's will be reined in and brought under control. But how much longer is it going to take??

Yes I like it too DB. I get the feeling that many good people in business are genuinely shocked by the behaviour of 'bad DCAs' that we see so much evidence of here. I think it's encouraging. The 'rogue DCA's' are morally bankrupt. If people continue to challenge and expose their methods, their 'clients' will stop using them. That's why I love CAG. :)

I have read through the credit today online thread alluded to in previous posts, It seems to me that DCAs are cross that a 'few bad apples are bringing the whole industry into disrepute'.

Is it a FEW bad apples? What percentage of DCAs who are involved in consumer debt appear on this CAG section, Are there DCAs who follow the law and OFT guidelines? Bearing in mind that only a few debtors ever reach CAG I would think that even one mention on these boards denotes a bad apple. Research indicated?