Too much driving.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for a welfare to work charity and have done for 6 years.

The project I work for is coming to an end and I expect to be made redundant on or before 6 months time.

Lots of staff have left and I am being expected to travel to outreach offices and this is now over 500 miles a week (in 4 days), they do pay travel.

I have always driven for work but I am nearly 60 years old and am finding it tiring and stressful,

the company's answer is that there isn't anyone else or enough work in my area.

My question is, please, is this unreasonable?

I feel I can't keep this up for 6 months but obviously I would like to collect my redundancy money.

Are there any steps I can take?

My contract obviously has the usual 'extra duties as necessary' clauses.

Many thanks for any advice.

500 miles per 4 day week works out at 62.5 miles each direction. If this distance can be traveled in under 90 minutes in normal traffic conditions, then the DWP would consider this reasonable. As the company is paying travel (presumably, a reasonable mileage rate), then you'd struggle to claim it is not financially viable.

If you are in a union, I'd suggest sitting down with the union rep and the employer to negotiate an acceptable compromise.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks for replies. Hopefully a better end to this, had a meeting where I told Manager how I feel and we have agreed to get rid of one location completely and visit the others every other week staggering them and give telephone advice the other days. I feel I can manage this and give it a go. Thanks, again.